What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Permafrost...

Budley Doright

Veteran
I am lucky enough to have found a source for permafrost cuttings....

any chance anyone have a picture of a flowering plant....

comments appreciated.....

63or63

No responses yet?

All those great things you heard about her are true.

For your viewing pleasure, here are some pictures of a cut from WWA med scene of "the original permafrost" from north of Seattle lineage is Purple Kush x unknown Sativa at day 48

and here are a couple with the some of the larger fan leaves thinned out for better ventilation at day 52 of Flowering.

There was only 1 permafrost in that multi-strain grow, but will certainly be keeping her around.

TonyGreenHand

Does anyone know the true linage of the Permafrost? I have heard many different opinions as to what the mix is, some say there is certainly Trainwreck in it, others say there is certainly Purple Kush, and still others say it is in fact Purple Kush X Trainwreck!! I've heard that it could have some NL in it from several people as well. I live in the area it is supposedly from and no one seems to really know.

The permafrost is some serious nuggets and its linage needs to be known so if you're reading this and you think you know it's history please share it, :thank you:

M

Mos Cutty

It is Arcadia Trainwreck x White Widow, It's gets the name because it's covered with trichs in veg it also has a strong menthol flavor from the wreck side.

It's also said to be out of Oregon Ohio and not the PNW, Them Ohio boys are something else.

Perma1.jpg

Perma2.jpg

best,
Mos

TonyGreenHand

Mos Cutty^^^I don't know about that information being correct, your picture only slightly resembles the Permafrost plant from my neck of the woods. It is interesting to even hear about a perm being from Ohio, there are some good strains out there but not many, if any, are found out my way, but maybe that's why no one out here knows its genetics for sure.

Here is a link to a friends garden shots of his permafrost.

The lighting is preeeeeety red but you can see it's a different plant, scroll all the way down and you'll see his finished shots before the pull that arent red.. It has vivid pink stems and leaf undersides that can be seen in clear pictures like mos cutty's. Also it has crystals on its sugar leaves unlike your last picture cutty. Not knocking yours mos but I don't think we're talking about the same plant!

CannaStyle^^^ This is what I have been told by many growers I hold a high opinion of. I was told it was NL#1, although I have no information or hands on experience with this plant so I cant see the characteristics in the Permafrost that point to the NL. I also believe it has the Arcata Trainwreck in it because you can see many of the traits of Trainwreck come through on most crosses, I can see those traits in mos cuttys and I can see them in the permafrost.

IMO I don't think it could have been Purple Kush because the permafrost nuggets would have been much heavier when finished. They would beef up a little more I'd imagine. I also don't think any part of the plant structure resembles a Kush, I would love to hear why people think it has this in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karmic Farmer

Veteran
The cut of Permafrost Mos Cutty is showing does have very red stems and petioles, I saw the mother plant the other day that his cut originated from (I have run her myself too) and it is one of the first things you notice about her.
I don't think there is any NL in Permafrost, Trainwreck is definitely dominant in the mix.

Peace,
KF

TonyGreenHand

Very interesting, Does anyone have more information about mos cutty's cutting? I would love to know how far along that plant in his picture was taken.

For being from Ohio there sure are a lot of permafrost crosses out my way how many of them are there in your area? There must be boat loads.

I don't mean to be a skeptic but read this description carefully and tell me it matches up exactly to your plant.. This was how my friend described it but it matches up to EVERY permafrost I've seen in my area.

"The buds have an indescribable scent, resembling mint, menthol, pine, licorice, acrid spicyness, and a collaboration of smells too complex for any expert to pinpoint.

Even a young veg-ing clone has pink undersides on the leaves and a characteristic dark, reddish-purple stem. The finished buds look like a turquoise/ blue-green that reminds me of the color of glacier water flowing from the mountains, and a surprising pink all over. The plant litterally requires no trimming when finished; the fan leaves have as many trichomes as the calyxes. Individual leaves and calyxes become fuzzy and indistinguishable from one another after a couple weeks of flowering because of the tiny single calyx size (often only one or two mm) and even coating of resin on all parts of the plant material!"

2531855550102519282uetLAf_ph.jpg

This last part is why I believe the plant in question is not the plant in your pictures, however I would love to know the facts!

TGH

M

Mos Cutty

The Perma Frost that I grew, which Karmic Farmer is talking about is held by Master Kush, I believe his handle here is xMaster Kushx. The profile your friend mentions sounds spot on, but I'm in agreement the plants look different. I think the one I should sounds closer to his description then his picture does.(Take nothing away from the grower)

The Perma we are talking about in the MI/OH area is held pretty tight. The only crosses I know of it is one that I made called Skull Cap.
I will ask Master Kush to pop in here as he knows much more about this plant being his find.

If you can give us a general area then someone may have more insight since cuts do travel.

Great discussion,
Mos:tiphat:

Oh and I believe I flowered that one to 62/65 days.

TonyGreenHand

I'm all the way out in the Seattle area of the PNW, Around here there are Diamondfrost, Mad Max, Purple arrow, Ed Weird and others I can't remember. I have seen quite a few permafrost crosses just in this last couple of years from this area although the actual cutting of permafrost is held closely by most who have it. For some reason I've heard Bellingham Washington is the home of the cutting, maybe this city has ties to your Oregon, Ohio?

I've also heard from several sources that it's been in this area for a VERY long time. Don't quote me but I believe since the late 70's.. I'm down to get to the bottom of this mystery!

That white balanced pic kinda takes the colors out of the cut but it was taken before harvest and he pulled at 11 weeks. Here is another shot a little earlier and you can see the difference in color through the bud.

2993751810102519282S600x600Q85.jpg

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a buddy in the Puget Sound area that has it and has had for years and years. I'll see about getting some pictures of what he has going.

S_a_H

TonyGreenHand

It's from Portland, OR. I've heard it's a cross of trainwreck x OR snow.

OH stagger lee this claim makes more sense to me than the others. I can see the Snow in the Permafrost as well as the Trainwreck. Snow has been around for a long time too which makes this very possible.

I'd really like to see everyone who thinks it is from their area weigh in on this, this thread is breaking a lot of ground on the permafrost.. Spreading the truth! If you have more information or pictures of the permafrost from your area post them up here so we can seal the coffin on where she came from once and for all.

TGH

V

Veg N Out

Was the Snow reversed or do ya'll have the Snow in a seed line up there?

The Trainwreck does male sterile intersex flowers, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the other way around (Snow x Trainwreck) ..especially from Tony's pics in Post #8.....I know my buddy has some seeds of Snow x TW ..From TW providing some pollen..Wonder if they're still viable..

TonyGreenHand

Veg n out, you make a lot of sense there I was thinking the same thing. Maybe a TW threw a nanner next to a snow girl and the grower thought to pop those seeds.. Does anyone know how long the Snow clone has been around OR? I can even see it in the naming, from snow they named it permafrost >_<

From what I know about the snow it doesn't herm and there is just a clone version no seeds. Those snow X Trainwreck seeds are intriguing, if Permafrost isnt this combo you might be on to a new winning strain ;)

V

Veg N Out

I love the Snow. I know it's been in Cali since at least 1998 (That's when my buddy picked her up originally)

vStagger Leev

Cannaseur
Veteran
Veg n out, you make a lot of sense there I was thinking the same thing. Maybe a TW threw a nanner next to a snow girl and the grower thought to pop those seeds.. Does anyone know how long the Snow clone has been around OR? I can even see it in the naming, from snow they named it permafrost >_<

From what I know about the snow it doesn't herm and there is just a clone version no seeds. Those snow X Trainwreck seeds are intriguing, if Permafrost isnt this combo you might be on to a new winning strain ;)

Not sure how long it's been in OR, i've lived here for 6 years and it's the 1st bag I bought. Though years before that I was smoking it in the midwest, it was always from OR though ;) And yes... that is probably what happened if that is the true lineage, the TW would have had to chuck a bit o' pollen on a snow lady. :tree: This is what i've heard, my :2cents:

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran

I got here March 4th 2001

I got her 2 days later, so I'd say she was put into production in the late 90's, as she was perfected when I got her.

TonyGreenHand

Only the Late 1990's on the Snow? Anyone of you who have finished the snow have some bud shots so we can compare some pics? I never thought to ask but what about the Arcata Trainwreck, how long has that been around?

If we are all in agreement that there is Trainwreck in the Permafrost than the Permafrost cannot be older than the Trainwreck.