What's new

Blackstrap Molasses during flush

NorCal530

So I have been reading about using molasses lately and it seems great. I just gave my plant the last feeding and the next 4 weeks or so will be pure water followed by final phase the last week. Should I use blackstrap all the way up until the final phase? with the final phase?

R

Rysam

I use Plantation brand blackstrap molasses at every watering, all the way through.
I get it at the health food store.

bubblebert

With using Final Phase and all, two weeks should be a pretty good flush. I do one week with molasses only, followed by a week of water only.. and that works really well.

calstar

Why is molasses used during the flush. I know the carbs are feeding the beneficials in the soil so is it's purpose to keep promoting bud growth without the use of ferts? I've seen more than 1 post praising the benefits of making the buds "sweeter and sticker" but these are anecdotal as far as I can tell and basic botanical principals seem to refute this. I do use molasses during flowering for the benefit of the extra carbs(photosynthesis = sunlight(or synthetic) + carbon dioxide + water = carbohydrates) but as far as changing the genetic resin profile....? Please enlighten me with any empirical data as I am always open to learning something new.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think you have it pretty well covered, calstar.
It feeds the beneficial microbes in the soil, which they helps with nutrient uptake.
And blackstrap provides sugars that are easy for the plant to absorb and use...also during the uptake of nutrients.
When flushing, we are assuming the nutrient uptake is over and we are flushing the remaining salts out of the medium. At that point we are wasting good sugars if we continue with blackstrap.

If you think your buds will taste like sugar candy using molasses, you would be correct. BUT you need to add 30ml of virgin monkey piss each time or it won't work.

skunktoker

I use molasses from veg all the way thru flower then flush with plain water or final-phase, or flora-kleen or clearex...but if you have none of those then plain water works just fine aswell........ST

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
blackstrap molasses is made from the same foods from which we derive sugar, it is probably the most nutritious sweetener you can buy. Two teaspoons (13.67 g) contains over 10% of the US Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) of manganese, copper, iron, calcium and potassium. Lower amounts (slightly less than 10%) of magnesium, vitamin B6 and selenium are also present. Blackstrap molasses has the same caloric content as sugar, about 16 calories per teaspoon.
as you can see its got alot more than just carbs. its the perfect flower boost but i usually flush with plain water the last 2 weeks.

NorCal530

blackstrap molasses is made from the same foods from which we derive sugar, it is probably the most nutritious sweetener you can buy. Two teaspoons (13.67 g) contains over 10% of the US Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) of manganese, copper, iron, calcium and potassium. Lower amounts (slightly less than 10%) of magnesium, vitamin B6 and selenium are also present. Blackstrap molasses has the same caloric content as sugar, about 16 calories per teaspoon.
as you can see its got alot more than just carbs. its the perfect flower boost but i usually flush with plain water the last 2 weeks.
Ah, ok. I will water with just molasses the two weeks leading up to the flush. thanks :jump:

toohighmf

Veteran
Molasses has enymatic properties, that eat up salts, and all flushing agents are nothing more than simple sugars or EDTA. Dextrose, raw cane juice, etc loosen salts and are the flushing agent. Final phase is EDTA based and I do not advocate the use flushing agents. Carbs like molasses that work on 2 levels seems much better & cost effective. I use molasses through the first week of flushing, then straight RO until the fans fall off and everything is fully metabolized by the plant itself. Might take 10 days.. Might be 30.

NorCal530

Molasses has enymatic properties, that eat up salts, and all flushing agents are nothing more than simple sugars or EDTA. Dextrose, raw cane juice, etc loosen salts and are the flushing agent. Final phase is EDTA based and I do not advocate the use flushing agents. Carbs like molasses that work on 2 levels seems much better & cost effective. I use molasses through the first week of flushing, then straight RO until the fans fall off and everything is fully metabolized by the plant itself. Might take 10 days.. Might be 30.
What is EDTA?

toohighmf

Veteran
Via wiki:Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid, widely abbreviated as EDTA (for other names, see Table) is a polyamino carboxylic acid and a colourless, water-soluble solid. Its conjugate base is named ethylenediaminetetraacetate. It is widely used to dissolve scale. Its usefulness arises because of its role as a hexadentate ("six-toothed") ligand and chelating agent, i.e. its ability to "sequester" metal ions such as Ca2+ and Fe3+. After being bound by EDTA, metal ions remain in solution but exhibit diminished reactivity. EDTA is produced as several salts, notably disodium EDTA and calcium disodium EDTA.

O

OrganicOzarks

I have always used organic molasses in flower, but I have also started using it in veg. I have well water, and in the winter it seems fine, but starting in spring it has to be ran through an ro filter or it will cock block my plants. So after I started using an ro filter I started noticing a deficiancy. I noticed that I started molasses in flower and the deficiancy was gone. Come to find out it was a magnesium deficinacy, and now I just use molasses in all of my watering through the entire cycle. I am all organic, and I use molasses through to the end. I can not say that I have noticed it to be much sweeter than to stop it a week or two earlier. I have a stagered flowering pattern so it is just easier for me to mix it all the same instead of doing some straight water and some with molasses. Theres that lazy stoner coming out in me. :)

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran
Don't spill any, anywhere!!
If your area is prone to ants, the lil fuckers WILL find that sweet sweet molasses!!!

:D

It's DANK goodness, but I like to use it sparingly...
Mainly to feed the lil beneficial homies..
For additional cal/mg too, but by no means is BSM a substitute for epsom salts (foliar-fed) in severe deficiencies..
Pulverized Dolomite (not the 70's pimp!) is yo friend... Start with a good mix from the get-go, these problems won't fuck ya later..

BudZad7

Molasses,then Final Phase,then water flush...

Molasses,then Final Phase,then water flush...

:tiphat: Hi All!! Nice info!!! Usually, use molasses during veg/bloom, 1 tsp per gal up to the flush cycle...
Then start flush with Final Phase 1st for 7~10 days, then flush with RO water for the remainder 5+ days,then take a reading of the EC/PPM levels til their 0.0, then harvest your bounty!!!
:dance013::):blowbubbles: :wave: Good Luck! The flava is CLEAN!!!

NorCal530

:tiphat: Hi All!! Nice info!!! Usually, use molasses during veg/bloom,
up to the flush cycle...Then start flush with Final Phase 1st for 7~10 days, then flush with RO water for the remainder 5+ days,then take a reading of the EC/PPM levels til their 0.0, then harvest your bounty!!!
:dance013::):blowbubbles: :wave: Good Luck! The flava is CLEAN!!!
My plant is in soil outdoors. I plan on giving it molasses up until final phase