What's new

OldOne's 2nd cab run - PLL / PPK / Arjan's Haze 3

oldone

Hi ICMag and welcome to my second run. I am about 5 weeks from popped seed and getting amazing results. This time its one Arjan's Haze #3 and one bagseed from the first run for comparison purposes.

My first run was in soil then transplanted to E&F(really!). I got some good smoke but I decided to change over to D9's Passive Plant Killers after reading his excellent thread. I am trying to adapt his system to my much smaller area.

I think this has to be the easiest and laziest (ie low maintenance) growing method on the planet. Its basically wick hydro in coco. There is one moving part -a float valve- no pumps, no runoff, no electricity besides lights, no sound, extremely simple. Depending on the size of your bulk rez you can walk away from this for weeks and come back and see green.

Anyway they are growing too fast for my small space. Here are 2 webcam pics just 3 days apart from this weekend:

The AH3 is in the foreground. Thats about 4" in 3 days.

Here are both plants today:

As you can see I dont have enough room for both so I cut down the bagseed plant (on the right) and am now pondering where to bend the AH3 over. I'll be switching to 12/12 very soon.

She looks a little lonely now...but ready to rock.:)

She is getting fed 1.5EC of FNB and .4 EC CalMag in RO water. Ph is 5.7 . Both are very stable.

Thats it for now IC, wish me luck,
OO

SmilinBob

You could have done some severe LST instead of chopping the other one down. If your running out of room don't hesitate to LST before considering other options.

Looks great

oldone

Hi Bob thanks for stopping by,

You are right I do have to bend her, I'm trying to figure out the best place. The pics dont show it well but it is a small space and I bet I wont have any trouble filling it up...

OO

oldone

Incredibly Tough plant

Incredibly Tough plant

Here's to a great run :good:
Thanks Scrub and right back at you...

I left the 2 original plants go too long in veg so I had to cut the bagseed down. Then I was faced with using a screen or just tying my AH3 over. I decided to use the screen as I can better control the height that way.

So I used quite considerable force to crush the thick stem and then bend her over. I was afraid that I'd over done it but she didnt even wilt. Here is a closeup of the main stalk bent;

That was 4 days ago and today she looks like this:

I flipped to 12/12 today so we'll see how it goes.

OO

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Scrog looks like the best use of space to me. I've been think about scrogging the next grow. Nice looking plants I must say. :smoweed:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good luck. I will have to check into your coco setup. I am doing ok with soil, but if this is better.... I am getting an ahsupply pll soon, so we got that in common. I have 126 watts of LED over my girls, but they need some more penetration. Vertical 55 watt in middle of 2x2' tent will get the light down further.

oldone

Good luck. I will have to check into your coco setup. I am doing ok with soil, but if this is better.... I am getting an ahsupply pll soon, so we got that in common. I have 126 watts of LED over my girls, but they need some more penetration. Vertical 55 watt in middle of 2x2' tent will get the light down further.

Hi yesum, thanks for stopping by...

Read the first post in my first run and you'll see what I went through with soil:
11 weeks vs 32 days(big fan leaves just removed)

It could of been the cold temps but I dunno. I think coco combines the best of both soil and hydro worlds. Soil's simplicity and hydro's exact nutes. It also has far more air space than soil, IMHO.

You wont be disappointed with the lights. I've said it before that it aint cheap but AH provides top quality kit. Beware PLL tubes run a little hot when they're new for a week or so.

good luck with your grow,
OO

oldone

Can I post movies on IC?

Can I post movies on IC?

I have a webcam pointed at my lady and it snaps a picture every 2 minutes. I then combine these into time lapse movies. Its a great way to monitor your plants and fascinating to watch too.

Did you know the plant seems to wilt just before lights out? But the next morning its perked right up again.

just curious,
OO

oldone

Flower Day 7

Flower Day 7

Here she is at 7 days:

She is using about a liter of nutes a day and seems to be growing very fast. I have trimmed fan leaves that block light or otherwise interfere and had to bend some branches. Thats about it. Ph and EC are stable.

The cuttings are a different story. 2 are definitely history and the other 2 are hanging on.

I'm wondering how to keep the cuttings small enough to last the 60 odd days until the next cycle starts.

Happy growing everyone...
OO

Tilt

I was thinking about using wicks in a grow cab im building. I have a few questions.
1. what do you use as a wick
2. does the wick dry out between the water line and the grow pot as the water level drops
3. how many wicks per pot
4. do you have to hand water occasionally
5. After your grow can you dissect your root ball and let us know if the roots filled the pot or just congregated around the wicks.

Thanks in advance for the time to answer my questions

oldone

I was thinking about using wicks in a grow cab im building. I have a few questions.
1. what do you use as a wick
2. does the wick dry out between the water line and the grow pot as the water level drops
3. how many wicks per pot
4. do you have to hand water occasionally
5. After your grow can you dissect your root ball and let us know if the roots filled the pot or just congregated around the wicks.

Thanks in advance for the time to answer my questions

Hi Tilt,
1. dollar store microfiber cloth cut into 1-2" strips.
2. It cant dry out and thats kinda the point. I did some testing and found the microfiber wicked around 7" vertical. So if there is less than 7" between the water level and the coco filled pot it cant dry out.
3. I use 3, but I bet 2 would work just fine. I use small pots so your YMMV...
4. I have not hand watered at all...haven't had to.
5. Absolutely. The roots are already growing into the rez! I'm hoping it wont cause problems later...

Thanks for stopping by Tilt,
OO

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey, buddy!

you have really made my day! i just found this thread, thank you for directing me to it.

when i first saw how healthy your plants look i started smiling and packed a bowl.

absolutely beautiful, flawless plants.

as you know now your biggest problem will be controlling the plant to fit your space.

the one plant will totally fill it up.

i wouldn't let a lot of root growth go down into the res. this system uses the idea of keeping all roots in the growing container and careful control of evaporation as tools to maintain solution quality.

i see an open container in there. if that is open all the time it needs to be closed. all containers need to be closed to minimize air infiltration except for the grow container. this forces all evap to occur through the grow container and medium.

all containers need to be light proof also to stop algae.

by not letting the roots into your supply you are stopping plant exudate from interacting with your solution. and the things that feed on exudate.

since this system uses no solution or reservoir aeration there is a possibility of the roots being affected by low o2.

in coco you will get all the o2 you can stand from ambient air.

have you seen the defoliation thread? your plant looks about right to start.

the op, k33ftr33z, starts his really early in veg and gets 10 oz plants in a 32x32x32 inch area.

later on, d9

oldone

Hi D9,

That is high praise indeed coming from you man, Thanks.

i wouldn't let a lot of root growth go down into the res. this system uses the idea of keeping all roots in the growing container and careful control of evaporation as tools to maintain solution quality.
Too late:

When I had to trash the other plant I had growing, its roots were thinly but evenly distributed throughout the coco but were even more thickly growing *in* the wicks and down into the rez. That must be whats going on with this one. My coco is 7" deep and the top surface never dries out. I never have to top water. I have a 3" airgap so my PWT must be below the media.

What kind of problems could I see with roots in the rez?

have you seen the defoliation thread? your plant looks about right to start.
I actually have started defoliation and continue to remove any fan leaves that obstruct light or air movement. Seems like a good idea.

Thanks for joining in,
OO

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Hi D9,

That is high praise indeed coming from you man, Thanks.

Too late:

When I had to trash the other plant I had growing, its roots were thinly but evenly distributed throughout the coco but were even more thickly growing *in* the wicks and down into the rez. That must be whats going on with this one. My coco is 7" deep and the top surface never dries out. I never have to top water. I have a 3" airgap so my PWT must be below the media.

What kind of problems could I see with roots in the rez?

I actually have started defoliation and continue to remove any fan leaves that obstruct light or air movement. Seems like a good idea.

Thanks for joining in,
OO

you know how i have the sump/wick thingy set up. it doesn't allow much air to contact the roots that try to grow down it. generally i just get a few "water" type roots as the "air" type roots stop at the air/water interface.

the water type roots are characterized by a "ladder" like structure. i feel that you get better root growth in the medium and therefore better o2 pick up overall if you remove them and force the plant to grow more "air" roots instead.

i get them in my wick cloners all the time and find i have healthier clones by tearing off the roots that grow down the wick.

look for spots down the center of the leaves as a first symptom that something is not going right in the res.

but really you are better off just tearing them off once in a while. you will get more root growth in the container to compensate.

a 3" air gap and wet at 7" in coco. that's good info. also means the microfiber works great.

even though you are sub-irrigating pour a little pure water on the top once in a while to force salts back down. maybe weekly.

what nutes are you running?

Latest posts

Latest posts