What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Heaths latest tree grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGGS

Veteran
you should defo think more about making seeds for sale mate, as you said alot of breeders already seem to use them in their breeding. so they must be good.

on a side note mate, what ballasts do you use?

username420

Heath, have you thought about a light mover for the outer set of lights, either one that moves the light after 6 hours to the opposite side and stops or one that will move it back and forth non stop for the 12 hours?

would be cheaper if you can move it manually but a motorized light mover can cost as much as a 600W system in some places.

Z

ZENARCADE

Great thread Heath!
So these plants in the first few pages of this thread, are you topping them? When you grow your other big trees do you generally top/supercrop or do any other kind of training? I assume vegging with vert light gets plenty of light onto the side branches....does this eliminate the need for topping?

MediMary

Howzit Heath, always good seeing you around, I was going through Heath withdrawls, hahaha
wishing you the best mate, and thanks for everything you have done for DWC growers.

Scrogerman

Veteran
Hey Heath,
Nice to see you back regular man, One question i asked i think you missed was- What additives do you use bro? I use Vita-link Max Nutes & Ionic myself, Oxy Plus works absolute wonders with The Ionic line, i also use Superthrive & Silicon, certain Zymes & Bloom stims also, but try not to get caught up in all the snake oil hype. whats your take on addys bro?
I'd appreciate the feedback, Cheers! ;)

F

fizzbomb

Hi Heath, sorry for not replying sooner as this is me just checking out the thread again m8.

76oz from the 1 plant is very impressive, dont think i have ever seen a plant yield that much, was this from seed or clone Heath, and what is V3 m8???

You were asking for some info for mistress, if any1 can post up some info regarding growing big tree's in coco, well here is my thread Heath, I hope you dont mind me posting it in here, kinda feel a bit embarrassed now tbh lol, thought i was was doing great getting 25oz, Heath comes along squashes me into the ground hahaha, just joking bro, glad your back here posting and showing your grows, they are a joy to see they really are, here is my tiny tiny tree grow. :) hope it helps you out some mistress.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=3478698#post3478698

cant wait for the cup this year, maybe we will see an entry from you Heath, would be very interesting, hope you can include 1 or maybe 2 of your strains for entry, im pretty sure they would all do really well, speak to you soon m8.

D

DHF

Zenar......You don`t top plants surrounded by bare vertical bulbs....stunts em and they haveta recover....They`re gonna bush out like bein topped anyways from hangin bare bulbs down amongst em.......

What does need ta happen in tree growing is cut out all the sucker branches off the main limbs and defoliate excess fans to promote better airflow through the plants as the lights are blastin sideways during the stretch......IME......

I`m sure Heathie`ll tell yas the same.......No trainin , but rather inner pruning for proper lumen absorption and airflow through the plants........ and plenty of chicken wire on the ceilings to tie them heavy ass branches off to.......LOL.....Heathie uses eye hooks I think......many ways ta skin a cat....and it`s all good.....

Peace.....DHF.........:ying:.........

Z

ZENARCADE

Zenar......You don`t top plants surrounded by bare vertical bulbs....stunts em and they haveta recover....They`re gonna bush out like bein topped anyways from hangin bare bulbs down amongst em.......

What does need ta happen in tree growing is cut out all the sucker branches off the main limbs and defoliate excess fans to promote better airflow through the plants as the lights are blastin sideways during the stretch......IME......

I`m sure Heathie`ll tell yas the same.......No trainin , but rather inner pruning for proper lumen absorption and airflow through the plants........ and plenty of chicken wire on the ceilings to tie them heavy ass branches off to.......LOL.....Heathie uses eye hooks I think......many ways ta skin a cat....and it`s all good.....

Peace.....DHF.........:ying:.........

Thanks DHF, that was exactly what I thought, just wanted to check with a few of you old school vert warriors, as I have never grown vert trees. I have grown some 1lb+ horizontal trees and boy...what a pain in the ass! I like the whole chicken wire on the ceiling thing, sounds better than my ol' mess of scrog nets/stakes/twist ties, etc. I've had enough of crawling under all that shit!

MyGreenToe

I believe the reason that heath ties to a single point centered above the plant is so that he can still rotate the tree if he deems it necessary. It also affords you a little bit more maneuvering room around the canopy. I'd imagine every little bit helps in that department, with these giant mamas.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
id i didnt see the pics i wouldnt believe it. thats some amazing trees u got inthere frositest oaks ive ever seen betch ya need a chainsaw to choppem. u trim by hand bro?

LIFEISGOOD

Welcome

Welcome

Damn Heath, once again you are leading the way.:tiphat:

I can't say I have ever seen anyone so welcomed to a site. Seems your rep precedes you. Been watching your grows and I'm always impressed. I am glad to have you around the play ground, we all hope you stay a while.

I have been looking for the reference to Blackman's law for a while now. It seems the nute companies are trying to rewrite horticulture practice with pushing nutes and such. I remember in college a illustration of a wooden barrel and each slat had an essential element on it, the shortest slat represented the limiting factor. This diagram for just for nutes.

But, if a plant is not lacking anything from a the nute perspective, in your opinion, can it in fact be "pushed" and therefore back up the claims of the fert industry? For instance, the claims of more bud sites, denser nugs, etc. What are your thoughts on the subject?

Thanks and I'll take my answer off the air.

coxie

Hi Heath,

I've been running the mpb's, and using cages around the tree keeps branches/buds from flopping over. It also stabilizes the tree and helps keep it upright. Eliminates tying up the branches too.

Billy Liar

They finaly let me on icmag. Wooohooo!!! Wonder how long before they kick me out......? LOL Good to see the new grows heath, its hard keeping up with which forum you are posting at these days...... Glad to see the polytanks treating you right... I have a few q's about your recent pics, but busy atm, speak soon. Peace BL

heath robinson

Hi Biggs and RugerBaby they are lumatek 600w digi ballasts with the super lumens switch.

username420, you can use a light mover but its much easier and cheaper to flip the lights by means of a flip flop relay or simply using timers.

For any of you out there who want to know how to wire a flipflop here is a quick run down. Please bear in mind that I have wired this up for illustration purposes and these relays need to be housed in such a way that you cannot get an electric shock and all earth's need to be connected from the plug all the way through to the shade and correct wire terminals should be used.

If you have doubts about how to wire one then DONT, get a qualified electrician to knock one up for you.

This is the relay (contactor).
picture.php

These wires would come from your timer which is set at 2 hour intervals, if you were wanting to run two rooms from one ballast then then the timer would be set 12/12,
picture.php

Relay in normal position.
picture.php

Relay energised by timer.
picture.php

Wires from the ballast fitted next
picture.php

Wires fitted and going to first bulb.
picture.php

Wires fitted to second bulb.
picture.php

And here is a simple wiring schematic showing where everything goes.
picture.php

ZENARCADE, DHF has answered the question well, if you veg using a vertical bulb the plant will grow a different structure than those grown under hoods, then just remove branches and weak growth and away you go!.

Good to haveyou here MediMary.:)

Scrogerman, the additives im using at the moment is PK13/14 throughout the grow at a rate of .5 ml per litre the only other additive I use occasionally is sillicone which helps strengthen stems and can protect against bud rot.

Ursus, yes the BR's can be nearly black through to salmon coloured depending on the pheno, and I use Ionic but not RO water.

Cheers fizzbomb for posting up the link to your grow, some great info there. The chiesel is a cutting but not the same as you have, the V3 is the new version of the NL x G13/W that used to be a heavy yielder. The V3 was the labelling system I used when sorting out the seedlings row v seedling no 3!.

You will have to have a smoke of this latest Chiesel and see what you think.

Nowthen Fredster thanks for calling in and imparting your knowledge! saves me a bit of work sometimes. Yes I prefer hooks in the ceiling but I know you keep trying to convert me to chicken wire! lol.

Mgt that can work when they are more like bushes or if you are trying to stop a drain blocking or something but these are too big to move, the chiesel was 7ft tall and 6ft wide I dont think my back would take the strain! pun intended lol.

stoney917, yes I trim by hand, I have tried a few different trimmers and prefer to do it by hand. Hmmm never thought of a swing in my room but now you mention it!.

LIFEISGOOD, thanks for your kind comments, no amount or type of nutrient will make a difference, once a plant has met all its nutrient needs. The only thing that can make a difference to how plants grow are Plant Growth Regulator which are totally different to nutrients, Triacontanol, 6-Benzylaminopurine, paclobutrazol that type of thing.

Hi coxie, yes lots of growers over the years have used cages around their plants and also around bulbs with good results. The reason I don't is because I can shape the plant to suit the lights and open and close the plant as I wish, something you cant do with a fixed cage. ps welcome to ICMag!.

Hey Billy good to see you have managed to get registered, dont ask me anything too complicated lol.

Hi connollyr123456, do you mean a diy on tree growing? if there is anything you need to know ask away im sure you will get an answer. You can google me or others to find tree threads.

Heath

Status
Not open for further replies.