What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

vertical octagon diy parts list and how to guide

G

For my second hopefully entertaining tech write up, I will share and outline my journey in building a vertical octagon hydro system for the do it yourselfer .

Here is a complete parts list , tools needed and instruction on how El Blastido built a vertical octagon hydroponic system, using simple readily available parts from any lumber or hardware supply.

First let me say that I in no way claim to have dreampt up this idea and there are several other write ups about this system.
Where I hope to help is by refining the design to be as simple as possible, we as humans tend to over complicate and over engineer.

I had been using for a very longtime a horizontal semi aeroponic system that I built nearly 21 years ago. After seeing the coli and the diy octagon I decided I wanted to get the satisfaction of building, re engineering, simplifying, and bullet proofing this practical design..

Why vertical? Efficiency! To provide light deeper into the canopy via side lighting to lower bud sites
To gain yield.
To provide the whole canopy with equal lumens
To cut in half the wattage it would take to grow the same amount of plant sites horizontally
To shrink the floor space needed
There are many reasons and those are just a few.

Now comes the consideration of what type of pipe to build the system from
I chose 3” black abs waste and drain pipe for cost and opacity.
3” pipe offered the best compromise of air space drainage and final layout for size and the availability of 3” net cups.

My choices were
3” white pvc
3” black abs
And 3” light duty styrene

Of the three styrene was the least expensive but was too thin and allowed light through which can cause algae to grow and compete for oxygen , white pvc would have been my first choice until I saw the price per fitting was double that of abs .
My only concern using abs was the fact that black will soak heat from the light source and that could be bad for heating the nute solution .to unacceptable levels .
So I purchased 1 abs black y fitting and placed it the distance it would be in the octagon to measure how much 12 hours of light would increase the temp of the fitting on the surface and the air inside.
After 12 hours under hps light the rise in temp was nothing to worry over, beside within two weeks the canopy should have the black plastic covered.

Tools needed are simple hand tools including a drill with a 13/16” flat spade wood bit
A hacksaw or what I found to work best was a bahco prizecut300 saw made for cutting pvc pipe , it has a wide blade compared to a hacksaw so it is easier to keep the cut going straight.
A deburring tool or some 80 grit sand paper.

This parts list is for a 56 site system but you can start smaller or go bigger that’s up to you.
The total cost was right around $400 without the pump and reservoir .
I found the prices of abs and pvc fittings varied a ton from different suppliers so shop around .

56- 3” abs wyie or Y
8- short 3” abs 45
14- short 3” abs waste T
14- 3” rubber quick cap
13-½” combo T
1- ½” combo elbow
14- ½” threaded coupler
14- Rainbird or equivalent 15 foot radius shrub sprinkler
1- 20’ roll 5/8” vinyl tubing
1- 4” no hub connector
21’ abs pipe cut into 91- 2 ¾” pieces
3- 8 oz can black abs cement
56- 3” net cups
1- tube of food grade grease
1-15-30 gallon reservoir
1- 500 gph pump
2- 3" 90 elbows
Here we go

First you will take the 20 foot piece of pipe and cut it into 91 pieces each measuring 2 ¾”
These will be used for couplings to join all the elbow ,Y and 45 fittings together to form the octagon.

Next you will saw the female collar off the Y . use the line of the collar as a guide to cut straight through
This is where the 3” net cup will be sitting so try to cut it straight
Now that you cant lift your arm from making a couple hundred cuts go smoke a bong rip and pat yourself on the back because the hard part is done .

Next you will lay out the system to get a feel of what goes where before we just start gluing .
I started on the upright columns first
build 14 columns each with 4 Y’s and couplers at both ends , make sure you aim all the Y’s the same direction .
Also when using abs cement make sure to do it outside in a well ventilated area
To assemble the parts using abs cement make sure you put a nice even coat inside the female joint and on the coupler . You don’t need to use a lot just make sure it fully coated so you don’t have leaks .

Now that the columns are built you will lay out and build the base using the short waste T’s and 45 degree elbows in an octagon fashion . The overall dimensions are 58”w X 58” d X 48” h .
So if you were to glue it all together you will not be able to fit it through doorways .
So I built it as 2 halves to facilitate take down and removal without destroying the system
join the two halves using a piece of coupler without glue using the no hub connector to seal the joint .

once the base of the octagon is built it's time to glue the columns into the base . you should now have all the gluing done and time to move onto the water delivery system .
you will start by drilling the 14 rubber quick cap's with the 13/16 flat spade wood bit in the center like the picture shows

i also removed the steel hose clamp that came with the quick cap for easier access to the tops of the columns , also in the above picture shows the 1/2" combo T , 1/2" threaded coupler and shrub sprinkler .
once the caps are drilled assemble the cap , combo T , threaded coupler and shrub sprinkler like such this will go on top of the columns .
this was the absolute simplest water delivery system available . i also tried using the smaller style 360 1/4" drip line type sprayers but felt it was not delivering enough water over the roots . i like to have the roots soaked within 30sec-1 min on time with about a 5 min off time .
put all cap assemblies on top of the columns with T's facing one another and start cutting and fitting the 5/8" vinyl hose all the way around .
i found that these grey 1/2 "combo T's are to big to slip standard 1/2 vinyl tubing onto , so 5/8" turned out to fit perfect . run the hose from your pump to the first T and all the way around to an the combo elbow at the last column .
that's it ! a very reliable and extremly simple nutrient delivery system .

the drain on this system is very simple at the end of each half turn down with a 90 elbow back into the reservoir , this is a fool proof drain that wont clog

here is another shot from the back side . i mounted the room controller on the system as close to the canopy as possible for more acurate control of the canopy enviroment.

this systems maiden voyage will use 2 600 hps , full line up of advance nutes
half purple urckle half ecsd so stay tuned for the break in run ..
btw if your interested in how i set up the air cooled vert tube check it out here
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=17781

hope i made enough sense for this to be of use lol
peace yall
El Blastido

Last edited:

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Tagged for later reading

Thanks in advance for the write up, since I did ask :)

G

Cool stuff! I've seen similar systems, commercial and home-made. I prefer home-made!

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Fantastic mate, really....im loving all these vert systems now getting more popular and more common to see them......Belive that im traking notes and watching, paying close attention to details so when mine gets setup that i get it right,, or very close to right from the start.... <Methinks ill have to buy a lux meter soon lol.....
Best of luck with this grow mate.....im pulling up a chair and dragging the table with the bong and smokeables behind me, coz im here for the duration.....
Be lucky...

Last edited:

guineapig

Veteran
rock on el blastido!!! i wanted to see more of your DIY octagon setup so many many thanks from a kindly ol' guineapig......

now if you happen to read this message......could you be so kind as to tell me what that white box that looks like some sort of controller is? i see it in the last picture but cannot seem to find out what it is......hmmmmm.....

-kind regards,
guineapig :wave:

G

thank you GP , the controller pictured is a 12 year old CAP fgc1 that was branded under the diamond lights name . this says how good CAP products are this thing has not missed a beat.
it is a full room controller lights , fans, c02, hydro pump cycling timer .
i mounted it there to try and keep it as close to the canopy as possible and not be in the way .

el blastido

guineapig said:
rock on el blastido!!! i wanted to see more of your DIY octagon setup so many many thanks from a kindly ol' guineapig......

now if you happen to read this message......could you be so kind as to tell me what that white box that looks like some sort of controller is? i see it in the last picture but cannot seem to find out what it is......hmmmmm.....

-kind regards,
guineapig :wave:

Xtrakritical

Hey El Blastido,
Great DIY!
Easy to follow and great instructions (or is it directions?)
Like Coli's for Dummies... :D

Curious as to how big a res is needed for this system? how many gallons to get all the plants and still have something in the res so ur pumps dont run dry...

also how much stretch ( or average height) do the plants end up at harvest?

wonerding if I could pull this off in my 4.5'x4.5' x7'h open in the front so I have access to the plants...

Great DIY's Bro! now I wanna go vertical! :D
00420's coli grows are proof. colis are some something special! :D

Xtra

G

Xtrakritical said:
Hey El Blastido,
Great DIY!
Easy to follow and great instructions (or is it directions?)
Like Coli's for Dummies... :D

Curious as to how big a res is needed for this system? how many gallons to get all the plants and still have something in the res so ur pumps dont run dry...

also how much stretch ( or average height) do the plants end up at harvest?

wonerding if I could pull this off in my 4.5'x4.5' x7'h open in the front so I have access to the plants...

Great DIY's Bro! now I wanna go vertical! :D
00420's coli grows are proof. colis are some something special! :D

Xtra

thank you Xtra

i am using a 20 gallon res because i had it laying around but i did a test run for volume with a 5 gallon bucket and found that the system required about3 gallons until it started returning fluid to the res . i think you could get away with a 10 gallon res if you change the nutes once a week and top up between .

your second ? about stretch depends on strain and veg time

the outside dimensions are 58" x 58 " a smidge to big for you

again thank you

el blastido

G

SmokeAndBeKind said:
Thanks for the tutorial, that is a sweet setup, I just wonder if I can fit one into my 2'x3' closet....

thank you smoke , i am figuring out right now a smaller set up for a friend that will be inside a small closet it wont be circular or an octagon but will be vert tubes flat against the wall with t5 light's . it should be a killer set up for a smaller vertical system

el blastido

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Well I just noticed u used 3 inch pipe.... I know it says this will be ur maiden voyage with this ship, has she got under way yet?? i am anxious to see how it fares with the 3 inch pipe and wether or not you have any problems with rootspace inside the pipes, because i have been planning mine around 4 inch and having trouble finding sources for all the parts i need locally. so If 3 ich works out Ok it will be alright because in 3 inch, all the parts i need are at ,my local B&Q...however im still wonder about the rootspace issue so I look forward to sdeeing how this does. My set up will be an octagon also(changing shape and design every time i tell someone lol...) 2 columns on each "Side" making 12 columns, 45 degree bend joining the "sides" together, i will be doing like you with the ring at the base not being joined up full circle, but having 90 degree bends open dropping back into the res.
the columns will be 1 metre lengths of pipe, and the plansites will be done...somehow lol...a bit cheaper this way I think...maybe ill use40mm fittings cut into it to hold a small net pot.... ill suss it....
anyway I really look forward to seeing this up and running.

G

3" pipe should be no problem at all for drainage .
i will run the pump 30 seconds on and about 5-10 off . 30 seconds on even if the roots slow the flow down wont be enough to overflow the system , 5-10 min off time should be plenty to drain off again even if the root mass fills the tube .

plus this design has two open drains of 3" diameter

megawatt

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Cool, ur here now for a Q&Q session lol....
no, what i mean about the 3 inch is the actual diameter of the pipes.... i know that there have been reports of the cage system(which is 4 inch) having issues with root filling the tubes and causing problems with flow and such........I like the drains you did and like I say ill be using them...but drainage wasnt what i meant.... ill be using rotary sprinklers in the top of the coloums...I guess it will be a vertical NFT of sorts..... a friend has done it thins way using 4 inch, he left the pump running contsnatly I think although it may have been on a timer in the night cycle just to keep em wet.

G

i tried the smaller rotary sprinkler sprayers and i felt they just didnt have enough flow to soak the roots fast enough . the shrub sprinklers shown in the write up put out more like a shower ...
i have run into problems running the pump on 24/7 , it heats the water to an unacceptable temp that will cause some funky chit to grow in your system ..

beside i believe you need the off time for maxium o2 to the roots . when i first discovered the temp problems from running the pump all the time i tried a water chiller . that solved my problem with temp borne funk , but i spent a lot on power to chill the res . so i set up a short range timer to cycle the pump .
i was able to get rid of the chiller and what i also noticed was faster plant growth by cycling the pump ....

hope this helps

regards

megawatt

Last edited:

Sleepy

Veteran
very nice! :yummy:

can i ask...what kind of timer will you be using to cycle the water pump on & off?

do you have a pic?

thank you.

Sleepy

Veteran
El Blastido said:
thank you GP , the controller pictured is a 12 year old CAP fgc1 that was branded under the diamond lights name . this says how good CAP products are this thing has not missed a beat.
it is a full room controller lights , fans, c02, hydro pump cycling timer .
i mounted it there to try and keep it as close to the canopy as possible and not be in the way .

el blastido

ahhh...now i see, siad the blind man. :sasmokin:

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Right then....youve reassured me about the 3 inch, so I am going to start getting the required 3" parts for my smaller design. Ill let you know when my thread if the build/grow is going as i would love your feedback.
any plants in her yet mate?? Sorry to hassle lol, i just love seeingthese and am dying to see it with some clones in.
Be lucky mate.