What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My micro vertical cab - 3 chambers of goodness

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
This took several months to plan and complete (I took my sweet ass time). I'm an apartment-dweller, so horizontal space is a luxury. That's why I tried to make the most of my vertical space with this cab while maintaining a quiet system. My landlord's management company likes to do little city inspections every now and then, so I also wanted a system where I could quickly remove my plants from the space and hide them in large tupperware bins, hide the cords and disguise the cab.

Construction
It's a Lowes 48" adjustable cab (~$130). It's cheap material, but it does the job. I drilled 4" holes straight through each shelf on both sides of the cab, allowing for the expansion of a dual-vertical cab should I choose to move the veg out. Surrounding the 4" holes are several 2" holes, of which I need to add more soon :)

Little extra construction was completed outside of hole-drilling, which is what I wanted. I attached foam weather stripping liberally around the edges of the doors. I also wrapped the rear of the flower chamber in black and white plastic to seal the cracks. The inlets are covered with pantyhose.

Flower Room
  • 250 W HPS in flower
  • Sunleaves 200CFM 4" fan attached to small scrubber atop
  • Semi-enclosed homemade cooltube using a pyrex bake-a-round tube
  • Small volcano fan blowing upward from under plant platform
  • Cab runs about 3-5 degrees over room
  • Can hold 7-8 small-medium plants, 4-6 large-very large plants

Here's 7 plants from the flower chamber, growing all at once (4 witches weed @ 6 weeks through flower, c99 @ 5 weeks through flower)

Veg Room
  • Various CFL lights -
    • 80W for the lower cab (moms)
    • 20W-120W for the top (clones and veg)
  • 100 CFM S&P 4" exhaust (could have gone 150CFM!!!)
  • Lower cab is 3 deg over room, upper is about 7
  • I will soon be adding more inlets on the bottom, which will reduce temps further

Results

My first run I ran 4 Mosca Negra C99 BX moms and had plenty of space for more, which I believe could go as high as 7 plants depending on pheno. Currently I'm running that number with both C99 and Witches Weed plants.

With those 4 C99, I harvested 6 ounces (1.5 average) of dry product and I had a LOT of nutrient and water problems. If my estimates are correct, I could produce 10.5 ounces or about 300 grams, or 1.2 grams per watts if we're doing the gpw-thing. With my current 7-plant count I think those estimates are a bit ambitious, but with 6 plants and correct height training it's doable.

The veg cab could, I believe, up to 4 consistent phenos at once rotating in and out. I currently am growing/keeping 10 medium-sized mom and dad plants in veg (C99 and Witches Weed) and 20 rooting clones (Witches Weed-only). I plan on building a separate cab for open pollination of the Witches Weed.

Thanks to everyone in their help building this - it was a fun project and I continue to make adjustments :)

FV

Last edited:

gdtrfb

have you seen my lighter?
ICMag Donor
Veteran
kudos, man - love to see efficient use of space - you've got big things going on in that little cab.

Natagonnaworrie

If you love life, don't waste time. For time is wh
Veteran
i will say it again... this cab is fucking sweet!

6 z's. That should keep u in smoke until the next one.

10 z's and you will be flying high! And if it's the Cindy that i have, you're house will be spotless :D

funkervogt...
...i grow pandas... Dude, that is tight. Sweet and tight.

How you feeing about The Warehouse? Think about it... if nobody knows, nobody knows. Get your space and keep it on the downlow.

Its not like you are supplying a major news outlet...

... are you...?

:chin:

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
funkervogt...
How you feeing about The Warehouse? Think about it... if nobody knows, nobody knows. Get your space and keep it on the downlow.

Its not like you are supplying a major news outlet...

... are you...?

:chin:

You're making me paranoid! Or maybe it's this Cindy? :)

I'm down with The Warehouse (Lowes?). I don't buy lights or soil or anything grow-related there, just ducting, weather stripping and cabinets, etc. I think I sail under the radar in that respect. In my town, they're more worried about busting meth labs than a personal grower :)

Last edited:

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice space, well appointed - what's stealth like? is it the same as your recent grow? (must be eh)

xtreme cool - keep on man

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
Impressive indeed. I'm growing in a cab with a 250 HPS and I'm getting just shy of your results (if I have the flower room full, I can pull about 4-5oz per grow with 4-6 plants). Keep up the excellent work. I love to see the progress my vertical brothers are having.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
nice what's the measurments of the flower room... and distance between glass and wall?

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
nice what's the measurments of the flower room... and distance between glass and wall?

Good question. I wish I still had my sketches - I went through many iterations trying to maximize the floorspace for my biggest plants.

24" across, 19.5" depth. The cooltube is centered in the middle with about a 4" diameter.

This means the edge of the glass is 8" from the wall at the shortest wall point (depth-wise), and 10" from the longest wall point (width-wise).

I also put poles up to move the leaves back from the edge of the light using bamboo stakes. I missed them by a few days this time around and some of them had the leaves burnt at the edges and suffered a bit of heat stress. Eventually, I want to cool the cooltube and room separately.

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
Alright, I think 6 full-sized plants is as much as this cab can take. My earlier estimates of 7-8 plants would work but for small, vertically-trained plants. Not for these big fuck-off Witches Weed plants. I had to train and snake the top cola around to make it fit in the cab's height.

The Witches Weed are 4 weeks into flower (4 plants) and C99 are 3 weeks into flower (3 plants). It's been very hot here and I do not have AC, so these have been affected by heat stress as you can see by the lower leaves. Also, not having enough light for the tall-and-small plants has left me with incomplete coverage, resulting in some loss on lower leaves. Selah.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
so they really are called witches. I just though u were calling them witches cuz u were mad about there growing too tall. thats funny. they still look good anyway.

peace.1CB

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
so they really are called witches. I just though u were calling them witches cuz u were mad about there growing too tall. thats funny. they still look good anyway.

peace.1CB

Dutchgrown - Witches Weed are some of the most invincible plants I've ever worked with. Combine this with the fact that they're OGKush/Chemd x C99 and these are new classics.

There has been a LOT of heat stress lately - my outdoor temps are around 80 deg F during the nights (when the lights are on) and 90 F during the day. Despite this, they're doing well. I try to keep fans going in the room that holds the cab, but am now considering turning on the AC in the room for a limited time, just to finish things off for the summer.

Witches Weed (week 6) and C99 (week 5)

Group photo:

Last edited:

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow all the shit you go through with ya landlord for miss MJ,
prop to ya funker !

I'll watch ffrom back here and learn a thing or 2 :D
cheers.
red/

Garuda

Veteran
Nice work man, I used to have a similar construction but with 150W HPS. The sunrise must be beautiful in there :)

Greetings,
Garuda.

killerweed31

Smile Vs Cry
Veteran
enjoy bro funkervogt, all looking good should be e serious grow , i like you vertical grow and i think is a good choice for grower live in small apartment like you, keep up the great job mate!!!
i''ll be watching for sure!!