What's new

Defoliation: Hi-Yield Technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. Here are some shots of my first grow - 4x hogsbreath in 18 gal DWC tub under 1k HPS in roughly 4x4 1/2 space. It's really 3 plants plus one tiny stunted runt that I haven't removed because the roots are all tangled in with the normal plants. Veg time was extended to two months, no doubt slowed by defoliation - this would have been much easier with more plants.

I defoliated several times during veg, first because I had small PM problem and plucked infected leaves before my Eagle 20 came. I never really allowed there to be any large fans until I flipped, then defoliated at day 20. Internode length seems to be quite short indeed. For my next grow I think I'll let them get a bit bigger before defoliating in veg as I don't have 2 months - this is only half of my flower box, with 1k on each side.

Day 20, before shot:

That bucket was completely filled..

A few hours and a sore back later:

upskirt shot:

Some PPP ladies that I swapped from DWC to coco so I can make the switch to autowatered coco and leave pH and algae problems behind:

Haven't done any defoliation yet. I just found out I can actually have many more plants than I initially thought due to where I live, so I'm trying to decide what growing style to use - 3x3 veg space and 4x5 flower space, wanting to go perpetual. Advice would be gladly accepted ;). I liked scrogging a lot but I need to only veg for a month or so, not two... thinking of 6 to 9 plants at a time.

Cheers!

iS

epicseeds

Ok, so I read up until page 12 and have a few questions to the people who have been doing this for a while (namely keeftreez).

1- Have you ever done this while using c02? Like you said earlier, "science" would say it would totally mess up the c02 effectiveness right?
2- Do you think this would be any beneficial for scroggers? It seems like this is just another way of doing what scrog does, no?

This is super interesting and i really admire when people discover new teks!

drmota

so i am guessing that if no one can give a one word answer that it is probably no. for those who do not know what i am talking about, my original question was... can i do this outdoor or is it an indoor only technique?

Classic Seeds

Veteran
hi this has been really interesting me ,what if you did it outdoors would it work the same or would all the plant wounds lead to insect or mold attacks ,it sure would cut down on the wind resistence on a blustery day i get tired of stacking cinder blocks around my pots when its blowing 25 to 35 to keep them up right i would appreciate any knowledge you have in this instance outdoors and does it delay the bud sets time wise aloha classic seeds thank you inadvance for your time and knowledge you are sharing

epicseeds

@LOLLYPOPPING
isn't this just cutting the lower branches to make energy for the top branches..right?

@OUTDOORS:
I read a few threads somewhere in here where people mentioned using this technique to some extent outdoors. So I think it may work, based on those claims.

C

clydefrog

It certainly could, but part of 'finding a keeper' is knowing the plants natural 'plant structure'.

Now, of course, if your always going to defol, the 'natural structure' might be considered irrelevant.

To me an good analogy would be a human taking steroids, before they reached their peak physical size.

You could do it, but knowing what your actual baseline is, before attempting to alter things is a good thing (never done roids, always intrigued though, the pills are suppose to suck vs. injections, and im not injecting shit probably made in a mexican bathtub).

thanks Shroom, Ive got some outdoor plants with some weak bottoms, may have to cut a few and run beside some seed plants:dance013:

Relentless

Veteran
about two weeks ago i lolipopped, defoliated, and supercropped my veg plants.. ill be flowering in a couple weeks and will continue to defoliate and cut down those suckers! pics to come, but so far, im liking what im seeing!

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
So what type of stress is the plant going through with the mass leaf removal? Anyone get nanners from any girls? I can see removing leaves being less stress than topping or removal actual branches but would like to consider the stress factor.

benzo

So what type of stress is the plant going through with the mass leaf removal? Anyone get nanners from any girls? I can see removing leaves being less stress than topping or removal actual branches but would like to consider the stress factor.

I believe it to be very low stress.

My Speed Queen is very finicky when it comes to stress. When I cut her for clones she throws 1 bladed leafs for a while. But when I plucked/ cut hella leafs off of her, she did not throw any single bladed leafs.

But it is probably strain dependent. As my blueberry clones never looked sad. even after cutting topping super cropping and DF.

oh, if thats the case then yes, I did defoliation, and lollypopping.

ok thats what i thought....looks like u really stripped the bitches....cant wait to see how they respond....they were exceptionally crowded before and look perfectly setup after....staying tuned!

SM0KEY

Great stuff everyone. Today is day 22 bloom for me and i just finished my 2nd round of defoliation. First defoliation was at day 14 bloom. Seemed like it took longer than trimmin. I took my time and made sure things were right. Here are the pictures i have up to this point. I have 2 -c99, 2 -Apollolicious and 3 Chem D. Under a 600 all in 3 gallon pots. Next update in 4 days. Peace LL

Day 14 Before

Day 14 After

Day 18

Day 22 Before

Day 22 After

If theres one thing you shouldnt do its over think this defoliation. Its super easy just take it slow and do what works for you. If your not sure do one plant and see what happens. RePeace LL

They are looking awesome bro keep up that fine work your gonna have such a good harvest off them :smoker:

Fat J

I cant believe I was afraid to do this in bloom...

I cant believe I was afraid to do this in bloom...

I always df'd thru veg, but never bloom, this time I am and I dont think ill go back.

Heres the ladies 3 days after heavy defoliation:

gonna do it again in the next few days - been about a week... ill do before/afters for it.

smokefrogg

Veteran
it's been 2 weeks since i defoliated this afghan x lowyder #2, after today i went ahead and defoliated the others too, here's the progress from my little test

today:
%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

last week:
%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

initial defoliation 2 weeks ago:
%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
I last defoliated july 12th the day they went into flower I haven't done it since. I am getting close to chopping maybe another week or so. Next run I'm going to scrog it, and see what happens

k33ftr33z

so i am guessing that if no one can give a one word answer that it is probably no. for those who do not know what i am talking about, my original question was... can i do this outdoor or is it an indoor only technique?

There is no problems with defoliating outdoors. It still produces more compact plants and helps mid and lower bud development. Indoors presents more urgent crowding issues that forces defoliation where usually outdoors it may be a more casual endeavor.

k33ftr33z

Ok, so I read up until page 12 and have a few questions to the people who have been doing this for a while (namely keeftreez).

1- Have you ever done this while using c02? Like you said earlier, "science" would say it would totally mess up the c02 effectiveness right?
2- Do you think this would be any beneficial for scroggers? It seems like this is just another way of doing what scrog does, no?

This is super interesting and i really admire when people discover new teks!

There is no reason to think that leaf removal will disrupt the effectiveness of co2 enrichment. The actual loss of leaf mass or leaf surface area for co2 absorbtion from defoliation is temporary and quickly replaced by, what amounts to, more surface area by the generation of larger leaves in the lowers and midsection.

My setups are SCROGs. Check out my albums to see the lightweight net. You are right that this is an extension of SCROG. The idea being that the screen is used to force spreading, or in my case used to support branches that are bent out radially and horizontal from the center. This allows all the bud to develop in the most premium light column.

My general advice would be if one is SCROGging they should try defoliating and, conversely, if one is defoliating they should try SCROGging. Both methods are complementary and serve the endgame of more production from limited area and light. I can't fault LifeLess and d9nxs for not using SCROG as they are clearly getting very nice results without resorting to bending like mine.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Smokefrog, you need to get your plants out of the dixie cups and into something larger. The leaf curling on them is because they are root bound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts