What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Let's talk about Molasses.

Psuper

Starting with organic blackstrap molasses from the hydro shop. Yum.

Iam using Wholesome Sweeteners brand molasses, there's a thread about this specific brand later in this thread. Iam interested to hear anyone's feedback on the Hibrix molasses from EarthJuice though as well.

I've always been told to use it starting in the fourth or fifth week of flowering, or the last four weeks of flowering. If going organic than it is used through the whole veg and flowering period.
***After some more study and experience, I believe you actually want to feed all through flowering, regardless.

I use up to 1tablespoon per gallon, sometimes a little less.
Anyone using more than this alongside a regular fertilizer regiment? I know others often use less.

Would anyone here argue that the brandname carbohydrate products* provide better results (provided you have a good fert. program otherwise)?
*That is, products such as Sweet from Botanicare, or Carbo Load from AN, et cetera.

:wahey:

generalgrievous

collector of lightsabers.. and fine cannabis genet
ICMag Donor
Molasses has soluble magnesium.... May wanna bag it in late flowering for super clean smoke.... I use it to feed the micro beasties in my organic teas which get fed to my girls daily along with their nutes. I use sweet during flowering, I've read the smells and flavors don't come across in the smoke but I have to call BS... They most definately do.... Using citrus currently.

:watchplant:

biobizz fertilizer derives most of their grow and bloom formulas out of molasses, and sea kelp. the biogrow, looks like a thinner, watered down molasses, but it has other goodness in it too. it is used all the way through flowering, and in late in flower as a standalone tonic during the pre-flush. i also advise friends on molasses uses, one tsp-tbs/gal during the pre-flush helps give the soil microbes essential nutrients, to continue to feed to the plants, just slightly, helping to swell and harden the buds during maturation. in a less microbe active area, it gives plants directly, essential micronutrients.

Psuper

Molasses has soluble magnesium.... May wanna bag it in late flowering for super clean smoke.... I use it to feed the micro beasties in my organic teas which get fed to my girls daily along with their nutes. I use sweet during flowering, I've read the smells and flavors don't come across in the smoke but I have to call BS... They most definately do.... Using citrus currently.

Maybe I'll give the citrus Sweet a try soon. I am not sure what all is in it (I'll look at the bottle next time I see it), but how much are you giving your plants in a feeding? Half dose? Full?

Thanks so much for the response!

Psuper

biobizz fertilizer derives most of their grow and bloom formulas out of molasses, and sea kelp. the biogrow, looks like a thinner, watered down molasses, but it has other goodness in it too. it is used all the way through flowering, and in late in flower as a standalone tonic during the pre-flush. i also advise friends on molasses uses, one tsp-tbs/gal during the pre-flush helps give the soil microbes essential nutrients, to continue to feed to the plants, just slightly, helping to swell and harden the buds during maturation. in a less microbe active area, it gives plants directly, essential micronutrients.

Good to know. Thanks so much.

generalgrievous

collector of lightsabers.. and fine cannabis genet
ICMag Donor
Maybe I'll give the citrus Sweet a try soon. I am not sure what all is in it (I'll look at the bottle next time I see it), but how much are you giving your plants in a feeding? Half dose? Full?

Thanks so much for the response!

I use the botanicare hydrogarden feed shedules lowest numbers cut in half..... ATM my girls are in week 2 of flower.... I feed with anute solution/organic tea hybrid.... At the moment I'm using 1 tsp per gl. Of sweet.

I can rip into one of my dry buds and right along with the bubbly petrol funk is the slight hint of citrus.... And the bud burns clean ....

I really wanna try the grape on a grapish strain.... Gonna need some more beans..... Grape ape maybe

Weird Jimmy

Licensed Patient/Caregiver & All-Around Cool Ass B
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use molasses through out my entire grow. Carbs are always beneficial to plants.

Weird Jimmy

Licensed Patient/Caregiver & All-Around Cool Ass B
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I forgot to mention that if you're growing organically, molasses is also used (and very much appreciated) by the microbes in your soil.

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
Use pure molasses, I feed at one teaspoon per gallon all the way through flower.
The White Satin i'm growing smells so good and has some serious resin production...
picture.php

At 30 days or so..

maxmurder

Veteran
never tried sweet or straight molasses but have used earth juice catalyst for 10 years. used to just use it to flush in hydro but now in soil i use it from 1st week of veg- the end of bloom. 'specially good for feeding lil bennies i've been told. it will drop your pH so keep an eye on it.. good shit and cheap, like 50 bucks for a 5 gallon..
:tiphat:
mm

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Another Blackstrap fan, used in veg & flowering to feed the microbes that in turn feed the plants. Nature, or at least something like it, does all the heavy lifting for me :)

Psuper

Great responses everyone. I am liking this forum!

So I am doing an "organic based" grow with Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil and the whole FF fert line + Snowstorm + Gravity + molasses. Someone suggested I maybe work some guano into this, maybe a topdressing.

So, there are some synthetic ferts in the Fox Farm line but O.F. soil is organic. Should I still be adding molasses even during vegging?

ericcalif

Great responses everyone. I am liking this forum!

So I am doing an "organic based" grow with Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil and the whole FF fert line + Snowstorm + Gravity + molasses. Someone suggested I maybe work some guano into this, maybe a topdressing.

So, there are some synthetic ferts in the Fox Farm line but O.F. soil is organic. Should I still be adding molasses even during vegging?

http://www.onlinepot.org/grow/3lbsMolassesManual.htm

Psuper

I did actually end up purchasing a bottle of "Sweet" from Botanicare. Found it in a small three bottle sample pack along with Clearex and Cal-Mag.

Any chance anyone here has used Sweet alongside some good ol' molasses?

AcroPhobic

I use it through whole grow but more during flowering. Been doing it for years and it does increase tric/resin production and makes plants/buds smell better. Here's what I use as I get it free. :)
picture.php

Eran

Is anyone using this in hydro? At present, I am growing AK48 in an ebb and flow using Botanicare CNS17...just started week 4 and all is well. The hydro shop told me to use molasses in the last two weeks as a flush by itself. Any general thoughts on using molasses in hydro would be great. Thanks!

Latest posts

Latest posts