What's new

Wisco's 2010 woodland misadventures

wisco61

picture.php

Springtime has finally arrived and its time to get this show on the road! We've got a few different things going this year, but first the old stuff.

2008 was my first time growing outdoors. I did pretty good, about 24 ozs from 5 plants. We had an exceptionally late killing frost that year, so I was able to sneak by with plants that had no business finishing around here (midwest 45 N).

2009 I got owned by slugs. Such is life.

But 2010 is a new year and we are ready to rock and roll armed with an arsenal of new tricks learned from my friends here at ICMag.:jump:

Most everything is going to be organic. I am using composted chicken manure and guanos mainly. I will also bring them compost tea at least once a month. They'll get at a foliar feed of the CT, and hopefully a soil drench.

I have 10-2'x2'x2' holes from previous years. I'm going to use 5 of them for sure, possibly all 10. These will get planted with clones of Texada Timewarp and mosca's C99 bx1.

I'm going to use guerrilla collars on them. http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=106606

I also have 3-18 gal rubbermaid swamp tubes set up. I am going to start seeds in those in late May. 1 tub will be Congo x Guerrilla Gold, 1 will be Manitoba Medicine #2, and 1 will be Rocket Chunk. I've got mini greenhouses I am going to use on the tubes to protect the seedlings.

I have a 15 gal and a 25 gal Smart Pot I am going to use this year. I think I will put them right on the edge of a marsh. They will be filled with mainly coco along with some peat and possibly compost and planted with 3-4 unsexed seedlings in. I'll do some Smoke-A-Lot outdoor mix in one, and Guerrilla Gold #3 in the other.

Finally, I have 50 five gallon grow bags I am gonna throw out in various spots. I doubt I will use all 50, but hopefully I do! I have 50 gallons mixed up of peat moss, composted cow and chicken manure, coco, vermiculite, and guanos. I also have 5 cubic feet of Pro Mix. With both of these I will add 20% native sand and mulch from the woods.

I have some seedlings and clones started for the bags. Here are 7 Diesel Ryder seedlings, 8 TTx(CongoxGG) and 9 Manitoba Meds #2 seedlings, and some clones of TT, TTx(CongoxGG), and C99 bx1.

The Diesel Ryder is going to be a seed run. It should be ready right around June 30th. I will replant seeds immediately and hopefully round 2 will be done around Sept 15th.

I am hoping the other seedlings will show sex by June 1st so I can put out just females. If not I will improvise.

The grow bags will be scattered around a fairly large area. I have about 20 different spots marked on my GPS that will work. I figure 2-3 grow bags per spot ought to be relatively safe. Here are some pics I snapped of potential spots yesterday. There are lots more like these, I just need to watch my trails and I should be golden.

I did come across one odd thing. I think it may be a food plot of some sort. There were these plants spaced evenly enough out that it wasn't natural. Like 5 foot spacing. Also, there seems to be some kind of mulch and possibly peat. I dunno what is up. Its not really close to anywhere that I am going to be farming, I just stumbled upon it while wandering. Any ideas? Here is a pic of the "field" and one of the plants. It looks like cabbage or something, but the leaves were "hairy."

The pic of the plant was from a bit further down a trail, where there were 3 of them in a line. I am not going to put any plants near there, but I am seriously considering jacking some of their mulch/compost.

That's about all for now. Thanks for stopping by and any info on the mystery plants.

hamstring

Veteran

The pic of the plant was from a bit further down a trail, where there were 3 of them in a line. I am not going to put any plants near there, but I am seriously considering jacking some of their mulch/compost.

That's about all for now. Thanks for stopping by and any info on the mystery plants.
[/QUOTE]

I may be wrong but that looks like what we hicks called "natures toilet paper" don’t know the real name but if is real soft to the touch almost a furry feeling and later on the leaves get much larger and it shoots up a main stem from the center you can bet that’s what you got there completely native.

N

North

Wisco,

Good Luck this season.

Hamstring is spot on,your mystery plant is Common Mullein. its a native weed. it'll get 3-4 feet tall with a foot long yellow flower spike on it in late summer.

wisco61

MoeBudz: thanks for stopping by. The forum albums got screwed up right after I posted but its fixed now.

Hamstring and North: thanks for the info, I thought you guys might be able to help me out. The DNR must have planted them as some kindof revitalization or something. They are planted wiith perfect 5x5 spacing, probably 12 of them or so. It does appear that they were planted last year as some of them have dead leaves laying on the ground about 2 feet across below the new growth. I will get some pics of that when I get back out.

Hmm, well I still won't plant there just for security reasons and the chance whoever planted that comes back to check it out.

I may be wrong but that looks like what we hicks called "natures toilet paper"

I guess I will change the label on my GPS from Foodplot to Outhouse.

After reading up some on the plant it appears to be an invasive species. Its in its second year, and this year it is going to shoot up the main stem and produce 200,000 seeds that will completely take over that opening. I think I am going to kill them all. My new theory is someone other than the DNR planted them there for reasons only known to them. Its public land, but near some private. Regardless, they are invasive and will blow up after this year, so they gots to get got.

Last edited:

wisco61

I got back out to the woods this morning, and got 6 of the 5 gallon bags filled and stashed.

The Pro Mix per 5 gallon was amended with:
1/2 cup composted chicken manure and feather meal
1/2 cup powdered lime
2 tablespoons each 10-2-1, 13-12-2, and 1-10-1 guano
1/2 tablespoon powdered kelp
1 cup vermiculite
1/2 gallon forest compost
1/2 gallon sand

Room was left on top for worm castings and leaf litter mulch.

I am going to pick up enough soil to mix another 20 of the grow bags this weekend. There will be enough spots for all the clones and seedlings I have started then. Beyond that I will see what time and space allows.

.clunk

Mullein was sometimes smoked by native americans, it's supposedly a bronchial dilator, maybe a mild stimulant? I don't know.. One of my friends picked some and was mixing it with his ganja once and a while for variety. I tried smoking the dried leaves once, you couldn't pay me to smoke the stuff again though. It grows wild all over the place here (western Canada)..

wisco61

picture.php

Thanks for stopping by .clunk. I don't think I will be smoking the stuff anytime soon, but who knows :chin:

Got back out to the woods today to fill and stash 8 more 5 gallon grow bags. That makes 14 so far, a decent start.

The above picture is 4 holes I have used the previous 2 years.

I top dressed them with lime and composted chicken manure today. They'll get guano top dressed throughout the summer.

I also got over to 2 of my swamp tubes. I top dressed them with the same and will give them the same guanos as the year goes on.

One of the tubs was already getting overgrown with native vegetation, but I pulled it all out and dug out the roots. After top dressing in the nutes, it looks ready to rock.

More work to do, but its starting to come together. None to soon too, there is one last freeze on the 15 day forecast in a couple days, then we look good to go. I am possibly going to plant the swamp tubes with germinated seeds next Wednesday.

picture.php

hamstring

Veteran
picture.php
[/quote]

Very nice looking area does it stay wet all year looks more like a marsh type area than true swamp (splitting hairs). Really just wondering if you have to water or not?

I would consider starting some popped seeds right in the containers should work out fine for you. Let that native vegetation grow right around your container especially during the 3-month veg period. I would only pull it back during flowering.

Any way you look at it I can tell you put some work into it and it will pay off.
PEACE

wisco61

Hamstring: it usually is a bit wetter than that, but yes I think its a marsh. Everywhere is quite dry this year so, but they are calling for a good amount of rain over the next few days, so it will probably get back closer to normal. But even when it is "dry" the water table is a few inches below ground so its all good.

InPotiTrust

Things are looking good there wisco61....It's always the hard work that kicks my ass but well worth it...good luck and hope u have a safe season....

D

DiiZZii3

Hey wudup man thx for the imput on my thread!!!! just wanna say im really excited to see a fellow badger growin some danks, Lets show em how WI does it up!

PEACE OUT from ur neighbor Dizz

wisco61

North: You betcha, gotta love WI. If you don't like the weather, wait a couple hours.

Dizzi: Greets and thanks for stopping by. If I was going to run a 150w vert, I would probably do 5 plants in 1 gallon grow bags and flower them when they were 4"-6" tall.

Here is a pic of the guerrilla collars I am going to use.
I just bury the whole thing and have the tube for inserting the 2 liter at the soil surface. Last year I buried them about 1.5" deep, this year I am going to go a bit deeper, probably 3". I will just dig a square out 3" deep and save the soil, pop in the collar and backfill. I have more holes than collars so for a couple spots I will try DS tokers idea of burying a 32 oz bottle with some holes in the bottom. That will be buried up to the cap.

It sounds like you have a good plant going there. Sucks the frost came so early last year, but the previous year it was almost a month later, so we got extra boned last year. While I do have seeds, talking about trading is against the TOS here. Also, I can think of a couple really good people from here who got busted because of trusting anonymous people on an internet board. I don't mean to be a dick, but its something to be very careful about. Also use private messages or you might get banned and we don't want that!

So I've been smoking a bunch of weed and thinking about that patch of mullein. I still think someone planted it just based upon the precision of the spacing and the seemingly semi-cultivated soil. Anyways, the only use I can really find for it through reading, is habitat and food for bees. This is public land that borders private land owned by farmers who rely on bee pollination for their crops. I've seen that they do bring in outside bees in late summer (white boxes stacked throughout the fields with bees swarming around them), but perhaps they are trying to increase the native bee population. I've read mullein starts to flower in June, so I guess it would be a good early food for the bees. So that's my theory for this week, I'm sure it will change in a day or two:smoker:

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
looks nice wisco! might i ask how the guerilla collars work and why you're using them? i mean i understand they're for watering so are you growing in areas without sufficient rain fall or something? how often do you need to top them up with water etc? cheers mate, grow on!

hamstring

Veteran
Wisco
Please show some pics of the water collar in use love to see the idea in practice.
Very nice job always great to see fellow guerrillas out there pushing the envelope with new ideas put into practice. How else is a guerrilla going to get better, great thread keep it up and be safe.

wisco61

Darwin: We get enough rain here for the most part, but I need to supplement the water occasionally and need to feed them. The collar helps to evenly and slowly water the plant. I use it to fertigate more than slow water really. As an example, in 2008 I had one plant whose soil surface got really crusty. I was using water soluble chem nutes that year, and I just dumped the water on the plant because I was in a hurry. All of the water ran off into the surrounding soil and that one plant showed a N defic while identical clones growing 3 feet over didn't. For me, the collars prevent that from happening and just makes watering easier. I stick a 2 liter in there and move on to the next plot. It takes about 45 mins to drain, so usually by the time I swing back around its ready to grab. If not, I can leave it because its not very visible once the plant is a decent size.

hamstring: unfortunately I don't have any pics of them in the ground. I used them last year, and they worked well, other than a tendency to attract curious critters. But, I lost 2 SD cards last year and never got around to buying another until fall. But I will be reinstalling sometime in the next few days and I'll post a little step by step.

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
ah sweet mate, i'll definitely have to look into making some when i get around to growing. what sized holes do you drill into the pvc?

wisco61

I just grabbed one from the attic that I hadn't cleaned up from last year. I used the full loops and then wrapped them with a Shamwow super absorbent cloth. Obviously ripping it out of the ground and storing it for the last 8 months removed a lot of the roots, but you can see some are still hanging on. When I pulled it out it was obvious a lot of the roots were growing towards it, but there was good root mass in the rest of the hole too. I'm not sure what size the holes were I drilled. But, that's 3/4" pvc so you can infer from that. The line of holes isn't supposed to be wavy, I just have the construction skills of a drunk, retarded, one armed monkey.

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts