What's new

Nomaad OD:2010

nomaad

Veteran
I would like to write. I am glad I could help your wife in the hard nipple department. I hope that last statement wasn't over some sort of line where you drop your hippie credentials and punch me in the mouth. ;)

I am finding it difficult to find the time right now to work on anything other than the gardens. Its that time of year. But the winter may hold an opportunity to get to work on some of the projects I have been developing in my head. For now, ICM is the fix for my writing jones. I was a way more prolific writer (in terms of physical pages produced) before the 24/7 hi speed internet.

localhero

How wet have your mornings been out there nomaad? if youre still planning on putting up that gabled system, it should also keey that morning dew off the ladies. less wet less mold? im working on a ghetto gable set up right now with pvc and depot plastic. too damn wet over here.

nomaad

Veteran
Plants are just too big to do any proper roofing. Next year, I am thinking of building a structure over the entire garden before I have giant plants to build around.

The morning dew was pretty insane today.

Last year I lost branches too... it just seems so much more intense because the branches are bigger.

I am about to go south for a lartge load of Actinovate. Fillthepotmore mentioned it in the big plant thread. Also a streptomyces but different from Mycostop... claims to provide the same services, though. Worth a try if I can have it in my pots in the next watering. I will dry the plants out till they show me thirst... probably about lunch time tomorrow and then hit them with a high dose of Actinovate.

localhero

as i take a coffee break i can see how putting up a connected canopy with your giant plants would be an issue. not so easy on my medium sized plants with a 4 ft ladder. the actinovate will prevent your plant from getting mold related disease?

nomaad

Veteran
as i take a coffee break i can see how putting up a connected canopy with your giant plants would be an issue. not so easy on my medium sized plants with a 4 ft ladder. the actinovate will prevent your plant from getting mold related disease?

yeah. if i am going to do any kind of shelter over my plants for the late season, its going to have to be a massive greenhouse structure that I engineer for ease of covering and uncovering with woven greenhouse film. It ain't gonna be cheap and with the kind of structure and anchoring required for something that big, I'm just not even going to consider it while there are plants present.

Yes, Actinovate is also distributed in a version meant for foliar application against Botrytis. However, knowledgeable heads have advised that its a waste of $ and Mycostop is the only way to go. I'm watering in the Actinovate today once they have dried out sufficiently and will resume my Mycostop program on Tuesday. Maybe I am throwing the $ in the toilet, but its buying me a sense that I am doing something.

nomaad

Veteran
I had to run all over the place to find Actinovate. The manufacturer has a mapped list of dealers on the website. Look up around your zip code. Most places in the Santa Rosa sphere (50mi) were out... till you dip into Marin. But I bought them out. A bunch of places have Actino-Iron which has a massive amount of iron in it along with the same streptomyces... Harmony in Sebastopol has a 15 pound bag of it and its cheap... but with the Iron levels in it, I would not buy it.

I bought out a Sloat in Novato of their 2oz packages. That's a full 2 hrs from home base. But luckily I had a decent list of things I needed to do in the area.

Every place says that they are expecting a shipment this week, but I have seen it happen several times this season... I would put the odds at 50/50 that it will be shipped to a small amount of preferred dealers and then backordered till late november or january.

I will not be going another season without a microscope. I wonder what the best way to get Fusarium and Pythium cultures so I can see what products deal what kind of death to them.

onetime64

how much mycostop per gal on foliar water..... i have 5 grams and want to use it to foliar and feed about 2500gallons of soil.... what do u recommend NOMDADD

nomaad

Veteran
the $20 2g packet of Actinovate is said to treat 5000 sq feet of garden. I used 4g to treat my 30x200 gallon containers. Assuming that each smartpot has approx 28 sq feet of surface area, that's a bit under 1000 sq feet. so... I am applying at 10x the recommended dosage!

Overkill? Obviously. Dangerous? I don't think so. Anybody disagree?

nomaad

Veteran
I have been working with 5 grams per 10 "big plants." That's per Tom Hill, so he's talking 300 gallons minimum. I think you could stretch 5 grams in your garden no problem.

I'd save a gram for the foliar application and put the rest into the 2500 gallons of soil.

G

guest4098

We applied our first dose of Mycostop around the start of this month. It was too late. This sour D went limp about a week after. Removed the wilting branch (1/3 of plant) and she continues to finish.

I hear you on the microscope. It isn't really about just feeding plants, but rather managing an ecosystem. I would like to get more in tune with just how that ecosystem works.

Your garden is looking great!

Attachments

• IMAG0015.jpg
    IMAG0015.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 10

Feb2006er

I had to run all over the place to find Actinovate. The manufacturer has a mapped list of dealers on the website. Look up around your zip code. Most places in the Santa Rosa sphere (50mi) were out... till you dip into Marin. But I bought them out. A bunch of places have Actino-Iron which has a massive amount of iron in it along with the same streptomyces... Harmony in Sebastopol has a 15 pound bag of it and its cheap... but with the Iron levels in it, I would not buy it.

I bought out a Sloat in Novato of their 2oz packages. That's a full 2 hrs from home base. But luckily I had a decent list of things I needed to do in the area.

Every place says that they are expecting a shipment this week, but I have seen it happen several times this season... I would put the odds at 50/50 that it will be shipped to a small amount of preferred dealers and then backordered till late november or january.

I will not be going another season without a microscope. I wonder what the best way to get Fusarium and Pythium cultures so I can see what products deal what kind of death to them.

Only thing I have ever heard of people using was Banrot WP. It killed the fusarium tho.

T

Trinity Gold

Banrot is a no go. Good ol' carcinogenic systemic chems..

Actinovate when compared to MycoStop to aid plants in the ground now getting attacked by root disease is a waste of cash BUT it is a great product to use in your tea brewer or mix directly in to your soil because it is so cheap. Every thing has it's place...the only thing I would like to get to add to my arsenal is PreStop and Verdera has been saying they're going to have that registered in Cali forever..I'm considering just buying a year supply in another state in the off season for '11...

hogan400

not sure what the damage is for you cali guys.... nomaad? but here in oregon were owned by mold! im sure there are a few success stories but i lost over half....everyone i know with the exception of 2 were owned as well.roughly about 30 or more friends and associates from southern to northern, most are total losses and a few are gonna oil and hash em up. im covered, heated, fanned up, and still most are getting cut on daily. cant handle this shit! id call it a day if didnt need to recover my losses.

B

blancorasta

i have some actino-iron, i have not used it, and was goin to use it in my soil mix. i took notice of the high amounts of iron, but i didnt know that it would be an issue and i planned on using it lightly. should i not use it and buy some actinovate for the soil and mycostop for a foliar?

thanks,
peace

im covered, heated, fanned up, and still most are getting cut on daily. cant handle this shit! id call it a day if didnt need to recover my losses.

Did you try getting a Dehumidifier, it would probably help you out if your in a green house. Sorry to here about your loses, I am getting pretty worried about mold and rain right now, so far we have been lucky enough to not have seen either. Good Luck Hogan.

Feb2006er

Banrot is a no go. Good ol' carcinogenic systemic chems..

Actinovate when compared to MycoStop to aid plants in the ground now getting attacked by root disease is a waste of cash BUT it is a great product to use in your tea brewer or mix directly in to your soil because it is so cheap. Every thing has it's place...the only thing I would like to get to add to my arsenal is PreStop and Verdera has been saying they're going to have that registered in Cali forever..I'm considering just buying a year supply in another state in the off season for '11...

It was recommended by someone who says "that clean organic GH 3-part", so I should have known.

Y

Yankee Grower

Make sure you get one you can snap pics with cause that would be cool.

Latest posts

Latest posts