Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Outdoors > A discussion: Keeping nordic outdoor strains as mothers.

Thread Title Search
Click for great cannabis genetics at Female Seeds!
A discussion: Keeping nordic outdoor strains as mothers. Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2010, 04:15 PM #1
blackone

blackone is just really niceblackone is just really niceblackone is just really niceblackone is just really niceblackone is just really niceblackone is just really niceblackone is just really niceblackone is just really niceblackone is just really niceblackone is just really niceblackone is just really nice
A discussion: Keeping nordic outdoor strains as mothers.

The flip-side of the nordic outdoor strains is that they're notoriously hard to keep in veg because of their semi-af characteristics.
Let's discuss experiences here - and even better show pics.
Let's also avoid having lengthy theoretical discussions without any practical knowledge behind it - keep it real.

Here is my example - Freja mother that has been kept in veg since last year. She has tried flowering on me twice and both times all it took to reveg her was a little trim, a root-trim and a repot.
I'll clone her very soon and report back with the results.

I'm excited to see when she will finish outside - and also how finish times are affected by planting times - I will be putting out clones from May through July - possible even put a few out in early August.

Later this year I will update this thread with my experiences with other - perhaps even earlier - strains.

Lessons learned:

As long as these plants are not getting rootbound and getting enough hours of light they will stay in veg. Even indoor strains will start flowering if rootbound and mistreated but nordic outdoor strains really need to be watched.

A solution is to keep potting up - but of course that presents a practical problem when you start using 10 or 20 liter buckets... Trimming roots and branches a'la bonsai mothers works here, but long term I think making new clones from time to time is the way to go.

Last edited by blackone; 03-19-2010 at 04:30 PM..
blackone is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:52 PM #2
yossman

Good stuff blackone,indeed a needed discussion,i will be trying out several semi auto strains this season,and have been thinking about how to keep mothers,and also the best way to take clones(light hours)and how/when to match them to outdoor hours?

I hope this thread,can give us a better understanding and some advancement on this puzzling subject,nice one for starting this one up...peace yossman

Old 03-26-2010, 02:47 AM #3
blackone

blackone is just really niceblackone is just really niceblackone is just really niceblackone is just really niceblackone is just really niceblackone is just really niceblackone is just really niceblackone is just really niceblackone is just really niceblackone is just really niceblackone is just really nice
Today - totally revegged, happy and ready for taking cuttings

Old 04-08-2010, 12:42 PM #4
blackone

I took 20 cuts on April 1 (no joke) and they're doing fine. Not rooted yet though - I normally root in 8-10 days and they're showing signs of callus so no panic yet.
I hope to test this with some early september finishers too, if I can find some seeds.

The plan is to grow these 20 clones into mothers themselves and get perhaps 4-5 clones from each - with a lot of love and a little luck I should be able to cut those clones before mid May, when these 20 clones are scheduled to go out in my best spot.

I'm anxious to see how much each will yield...

Last edited by blackone; 04-08-2010 at 12:55 PM..

Old 04-09-2010, 04:41 PM #5
eyyo

eyyo will become famous soon enough
Sounds awesome but what strain is it, freja, never heard of? Ever tried to veg and take cuttings from thyphoon?
I planted some thyphoon seeds 10 days ago
...See in your sign that you have a guerilla thread, really have to check it out.

piz
eyyo is offline Quote

Old 04-20-2010, 02:53 PM #6
blackone

Freja is a Danish outdoor strain - I don't know much about the genetic roots but it's potent stuff - a perfect hash plant - but perhaps not super early in Denmark. Maybe it will be earlier from clones, who knows?

All 20 clones have rooted and have been transplanted to seedling soil.
As soon as they have grown a bit and I can make some more room in my cab they're going in 10cm pots.

So far so good - the mother is getting a little fuzzy again in the 6.5L pot and I'm thinking of cutting a new round of clones from her before I repot her to a 10L pot.

Last edited by blackone; 04-20-2010 at 03:04 PM..

Old 08-04-2010, 04:31 AM #7
blackone

Am I the only one trying this out?

I hope others will try this too - if enough people will do this we will eventually find some outdoor elites for northern Europe.

Around june 20 I planted these out:

Here around 1.5 months later they've grown almost 1 meter and have become pretty bushy.

Still not flowering - indoor they don't have much stretch so they should respond quickly once their critical daylength is reached. I can't wait to see how well the outdoor buds compare to these that are grown indoor:

Old 08-05-2010, 01:57 AM #8
lalandia

Nice stuff Blackone..I've tried with Danish Passion and Danish Gold, but couldent keep them from flowering.

peace

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:28 PM #9
Om Bom

Om Bom is on a distinguished road
Very interesting and cool thread and experiment!!!

Any update? Is the experiment continuing?

Also a question for the professor(s) if you don't mind: I've given some thought to breeding a mother plant (from a Danish strain) for cloning so i can plant out only females this summer, but what do you think? Is it a bad idea? Or, only a good idea for the sake of contributing to this experiment?

Regards
P
Om Bom is offline Quote

Old 02-22-2011, 12:44 PM #10
blackone

I didn't keep that Freja around - she was pretty late and it wasn't easy keeping her in veg. She's pretty damn good for bubblehash and the bud is fairly potent but taste is kinda boring.
I'll try to find better Freja phenos this year because in 2009 I had some great ones.

For this years outdoor I have a Cafeparadis and a Nugg-it mother. The Cafeparadis finished in early october but I think it might be earlier than that because I put her out in August last year. Pretty ok frosty bud and I'm also testing her inside right now.
Nugg-it (Phil's Erdpurt * E-rocket/Danish Passion F2) was the hardiest and earliest Nugg-it of the 2010 grow. Finishes around mid-october with small but compact and very frosty buds. The hash from her is very soft with a knock-out stone.

1 members found this post helpful.