What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Self-Reliance Micro Cab'n

grouchy

My Cab - This is a modified stealth micro NGB style design. It was built out of 1 4'x8' sheet of 1/2" plywood. The overall dimensions are 29"T x 30"W x 12.5"D. It currently resides under my work bench inside an enclosed area. This is not ideal during the summer months and I am working on upgrading the airflow out of the enclosed area. I hope that this setup will provide a warm environment throughout the winter and I will try to fix it by spring.

The cabinet is divided into three areas like the ngb style box. The veg room, the flower room and the utility room.

The Veg Room - Currently the veg room is lit by two 26w cfls that run 24 hours a day. One 2700k and one 6500k. They are plugged into a powerstrip that has been mounted to the wall of the cab with zipties and screw in ziptie bases. There is an 80mm pc fan hanging under the lights to circulate the air in the room. Temps are currently in the low 80's with an ambient temp outside the enclosed area of low 70's. The walls have been lined with Peel-n-Seal which was purchased at a local roofing supply shop. It is a self-adhesive asphalt based liner very similar to Dynamat Extreme. It is very reflective and cuts down the noise level substantially. The edges of the Peel-n-Seal have all been sealed off with aluminum tape to prevent off-gassing.

The Flower Room - The flower room is lit by a 70w hps inside a DIY cooltube. I made the reflector out of a sheet metal square that has been painted flat white on the underside. This allows me to put the light right ontop of the plants without heat issues. The cooltube has its own 120mm pc fan to pull the air through it into the utility room. The flower room has been lined in Peel-n-Seal as well.

The Utility Room - The utility room houses the main power strip, the ballast for the hps, the carbon filter tray and the two main 120mm exhaust fans. I have it blocked off with aluminum tape because it shares the door with the veg room but is not light proof to the flower room.

Ventilation - The main exhaust consists of two 120mm fans that blow out the top of the cab from the utility room. They pull air through a tray of activated carbon that has been aluminum taped to the top of the utility room. Two passive intakes are located in the cab. One in the veg room and one in the flower room. They pull fresh air into the cab from underneath the enclosed workbench. There is a hollow wall between the veg room and the flower room that is a flow through light trap. It has been painted flat black on the inside. Hot air exits the veg room from the top of the wall and is pulled through to the bottom of the wall in the flower room. The air is than pulled through the cooltube and the holes in the wall to the utility room where it is exhausted.

Future Mods - I have lots of ideas for the future with this cab. I already have purchased a 100w cmh bulb and ballast, a 100w hps bulb and ballast, and a S&P td-100x fan. The 100w cmh is too hot to run right now but I will be trying it again when the ambient temp falls. I plan on replacing the 120mm exhaust fans with the S&P fan when I can figure out how to do so and remain 100% stealth. If I can get my ventilation figured out I would like to run the 70w hps and the 100w cmh in the same cooltube at the same time.

Thanks and Recognition - I would first and foremost like to thank ALL the members of ICMag.com for the the sharing and knowledge that they constantly provide me. I am glad to be a member of this online community and will contribute as much as I can to help out future growers. I would also like to thank NewGanjaBoy for his simple easy to use layout.

grouchy

My Grows - I have done a couple grows now. The first was a couple lowryder dwarf mix in my old cab. Only one female and uneventful at most. The second grow was a seed run in my current cab with the dwarf mix. I now have plenty of lowryder seeds but did not take any pics. The third grow was an attempt with a scrog. I grew the plants from bagseed under the 70w hps and ended up with two perfectly trained males. I am now on my fourth run with a couple bagseeds going 12/12 in the flower room and a couple lowryders chill'n in the veg room.

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
Love the setup. Very clean and tight. Many good things will come from it, undoubtedly. :joint:

Mk3Jetta

Hey nice cab grouchy!

But why wouldnt you want two 6500k lights in your veg room? Are the two plants in your veg room the autoflowers?

grouchy

Those are the autos in there. I wanted to run mixed spectrum till flowering started and then run a 2700k cfls in there.

fatigues

Veteran
Very clean build and a tight use of space. What are some of your ideas for installing the S&P?

Nice pebble finish on the walls too. What material did you use for that?

EDIT: I assume that is the Peel-&-Seal you referred to in another thread? I like the look of it. Better presentation than Reflectix, too. I think this stuff looks like a keeper.

CloudNine

I'm about to build a new cab myself. I'm tired of putting scrap stuff together, and later thinking why did I do that..

So I want to do it one last time, and do it right. Yours is the perfect size to what I was looking for. What are the dimensions of each room in the cab?

I'll be lurkin

grouchy

Fatigues - The main idea for the S&P was to cut a hole through the top of the bench and vent behind a false pegboard wall with the S&P and a diy scrubber.

CloudNine - Here is my layout. The overall depth was 12.5". I didn't save the layout for getting it all on one 4'x8' so that will be your puzzle to figure out.

picture.php

slowandeasy

Veteran
Looking good Grouchy! Like the peel n seal idea, how much did you pay to do your cab and what size did you get? Looks like you can get it at Lowes, in a 6"x25' roll. Looks like yours is bigger sheets. The big sheets are way more expensive, maybe you didnt have to buy the whole roll? Just wondering what you paid. Good luck, keep up the good work!

CloudNine

I wanted to know the dimensions of each cab. 6"x?" mother room 24"x29" flower room. 6"x?" utility space.

Anyone know where I can get a diagram for making a cab from 1 4x8 sheet of plywood, or a free program to make a diagram from dimensions?

grouchy

slowandeasy - I bought a whole roll a while back to sound deaden a car. I paid $90 for a 100 sq ft roll from a roofing supply house and still have tons left over.

CloudNine - Each square on that grid is an inch. The depth of each piece was 11.5". The front and back pieces were 29"x30". I made the cab out of one 4'x8' of 1/2" plywood.

grouchy

A little update on the grow. Both lowryders turned out to be male and were disposed of. One of the bagseeds was also a male. I am down to the one large bagseed and the smaller one that was a clone of the large one. I will try to get pics up later of the two remaining girls. I don't have time to start and finish any more right now due to an upcoming trip but I have some better genetics to go in after I get back. Thanks for watching.

I2KanGrow

Really great-looking start so far, Grouchy - I'm definitely gonna lurk this one for sure!!

Unfortunately no. Wifey is against it so I'm stuck like chuck...for now
Oh, man - I'm feeling your pain Nuka, I've actually run total stealth, & hiding my grows from the wifey. I hate being deceptive with her (I've been faithful/open/honest with her regarding EVERYTHING else for over 25 years), but it's a great hobby, and I don't let it take-away from my family. Yep, you heard it here first - the grow comes-in second, Family First for I2KanGrow!

If she asked me, I'd tell her, but she hasn't asked, so.......

icough2getoff

that's a really sweet cab grouchy. I'm curious about those locks, do you know what they're called or where you get them?

grouchy

Unfortunately no. Wifey is against it so I'm stuck like chuck...for now

You should be the guinea pig for my medicine cab idea and get the wife a "mirror" for the closet.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=139246

Just kidding:noway:. If the wife says no you should probably respect that. If the wife is not happy, the house is not happy. There is still the wide world of outdoors.

Icough2getoff - The locks are standard barrel locks. I got them as a matched set from a locksmith store but they sell them at the depot.

grouchy

Large plant is at day 35 12/12 from seed. The smaller plant was taken as a clone from the larger plant about two weeks into flowering. It was put right back into flower room as soon as it had roots. The veg room has been shut down at this point and will not reopen for business until after thanksgiving. Enjoy the pics.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts