What's new

Stealth "Medicine Cabinet"

grouchy

I was just sitting around surfing IC when I got this cool little idea. This might be one of the most stealth grow box ideas yet. What if you took a recessed medicine cab and added some light and ventilation techniques from a pc grow. This may not be the solution for everyone but it might help someone that has no other option available to them. If anyone wants to toss around some ideas with me please feel free.

Something like this - http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=296927-20602-2967-BR1&lpage=none

I know that 5" is not a lot of depth but you could remove the back and extend the cabinet into the wall like a recessed medicine cabinet to gain extra room. The wiring could be discreetly ran behind the wall and a couple pc fans could exhaust into the wall cavity for cooling. Passive intakes could pull air in from behind the wall as well.

It may not work the best in bathrooms with bathes or showers because of the excess humidity but would work in 1/2 bathes just fine. Something like this would not look out of place on the back wall of a walk-in closet either.

Pl-l lights would work perfect in this size space and with training might be enough to supply a light smoker.

You could secure the cabinet discreetly with child proof magnetic cabinet locks like this. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...=aps&hvadid=3451121669&ref=pd_sl_33ccsfezh7_b

If anyone has links to cabinets or ideas that would be good for this please post them up. Lets see what we can come up with.

sneakinman13

Veteran
interesting idea man...
seems like you thought this through...
i personally wouldnt go threw all the effort for such a small yeild. but thats just me..
im sure other ppl out there would love to try this out!

and id like to see it tried out...
good luck grouchy

grow1620

wow this is a pretty sweet idea man, I've always has this dream of growing in the walls of my house....you could probably even put a picture in place of the mirror and countersink it into the wall..you could put it pretty much anywhere. It would be like one of those wall safes behind a painting kinda thing...that'd be awesome!

Only difficult part would be getting electricity to it easily...how bout some solar panels on the roof, with a charge controller and rechargeable battery in the attic and run the wires down through the wall, but then you'd be limited to dc so you'd have to......ok I'm getting ahead of myself...:joint:

grouchy

Just run the wires straight up from an outlet behind the wall. Of course that would limit you to mounting it right above an outlet.

Hella THC

Watch ScrubNinja get a hold of this idea and run wild with it. That dude will make anything into a grow space.

I wouldn't doubt if the tires of his car have a gyro stabilized grow going on in them.

What say you, ScrubNinja? :D

fatigues

Veteran
Neat idea.

The whole medicine cabinet thing could work. I'd be a little spooked about drawing air from inside the walls though - it tends to be very dusty in those areas, as drywall installers and other trades don't typically care how much dust they leave in the wall. It's never cleaned, and it would suck air from a lot of spaces you will never, ever be able to reach.

Might find yourself feeding your plants a lot of gyproc. :)

Seems to me that you could probably find a way to get air into that grow space without too much of a problem. Hell, a simple register vent at the wall near the base of the floor should give you an adequate passive air intake. Would allow you to vacuum out that gap in the studs nicely too.

I'd also be concerned about venting out a lot of humid air throughout the walls of your home. Depending on where you live and what wall you are putting this in, the building envelope might bitch slap you. Seem to me this sort of vent design might just be begging for condensation and resulting mould to invade your home and start a significant colony. All where you can't see it --and won't see it --until it's far too late to do anything about it.

Now, at the same time, using a simple metal duct to vent your grow cab straight up the interior of the wall into an attic space? I'm liking that sort of plan a whole lot more. With convection, a simple vent booster should be enough to draw the air up -- though summertime might pose some challenges, I suppose.

If your cab area is properly sealed and you use a proper vent fan at the top of your pipe, you would not even have to scrub the air if you vent directly out the roof. I like that design the most, I think. Leaving the hot air in the attic to just exchange out the attic vents can pose a problem depending on where you live...

If you live in a snow zone, you don't want a lot of heat venting just to the attic. It can result in you melting the snow off of your roof with such a design. Few things say "grow op HERE" more than having a roof without snow when all the neighbours around you look like a winter wonderland. Not a good idea, at least in a relatively new home :)

grouchy

Those are definitely some good ideas to think about but I can't see a couple of small lights melting the snow off the roof. I really like the idea of a fake air duct grill at the bottom of the wall. You could easily run a 4" dryer duct out the top and up into the attic. I still think it would be a good idea to scrub the air even if venting into the attic.

I would think you could get about the same amount of grow space as a pc grow if not more. Would some of those powerful pl-l bulbs fit between some wall studs?

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Lol Hella. I repped grouchy when he made the thread, but I had nothing to really add. My only thought was like Fatigues mentioned - not sure how much is ok to pump into a wall cavity. Just a gut feeling but I think you'd be okay with the humidity produced by the size grow that you could actually fit in the thing.

I did have another thought about training a pet rat to carry a power extension lead through the cavitys...if that helps. :)

Hella THC

Lol Hella. I repped grouchy when he made the thread, but I had nothing to really add. My only thought was like Fatigues mentioned - not sure how much is ok to pump into a wall cavity. Just a gut feeling but I think you'd be okay with the humidity produced by the size grow that you could actually fit in the thing.

I did have another thought about training a pet rat to carry a power extension lead through the cavitys...if that helps. :)

:laughing:

I still say you try the gyro-stabilized grows inside your tires. You're a crazy mofo.

Rouxdy

I don't think a "stealth" medicine cabinet grow is possible.... Houseguests always open the medicine cabinets. ;)

grouchy

That is something I thought of. My ideas to combat that were to use the magnetic childproof locks or just a lockable cabinet. With the amount of people who abuse prescription meds it would not be out of the ordinary for a medicine cabinet to be locked up.

The other way to go around that issue would be to install the cabinet like a mirror in the closet or bedroom. Guests usually don't snoop in those places.

Lord Doobie

First, buy a house and then...

Rouxdy is absolutely right. It's a very high percentage of women who peek in the medicine cabinet to see what drugs and other goodies you're taking. I guess they'd find out rather quickly...

PS - They peek under the sink, too

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Good for a lonely single dood...but Rouxdy is absolutely right. It's almost exclusively women who peek in the medicine cabinet to see what drugs and other goodies you're taking. I guess they'd find out rather quickly...

PS - They peek under the sink, too

I think you missed the point, dude. The smart part about this idea isn't that he came up with a box with a door on it that can be grown in. The magic is that of all the doors in your house, this is one of the few that doesn't look suspicious when locked. No woman is gonna ask for the key unless they actually need something. And you keep that shit (aspirins etc) somewhere else.

Offtopic: I'd love to see a car tire turned into a Rotogrow. That would be awesome.

Ontopic: I like your back of the closet idea a lot better. A bathroom med cab is a) in a far more humid environment and b) far more susceptible to snooping. In a closet I'd look at it and assume it was just a mirror...not even sure I'd think "magna-locked medicine cabinet".

grouchy

Just bumping an old thought of mine up to the top. Please feel free to add some fresh comments or borrow any part of the idea.