What's new

going to build in attic new input

HELLO ALL , i have been using closet but id like to have a bit more room , and also be able to use my closet again for storage . i have a 2 story house , and the attic is about 6 feet tall at the peek . i plan on making a box inside the attic out of wood frame then use 2 layers of black plastic to frame it in ..
i plan on putting a small window unit up there on a thermostat and then in winter use a heater to keep in right temps . i have 1 400 watt hps and another on the way . but i plan on making the box , 5 x 7 about 5 feet tall maybe a bit higher .

one thing im wondering is about a door , or opening . also im wondering about if i can keep the temps down enough with the top of the ( tent ) being so close to the roof ! cause it gets real hot closer to the roof . maybe put a fan on the outside blowing across the top to keep heat moveing .

i also have a canfan 450 cfm fan, that sucks thru my 400 watt cool tube.

please let me know of any in put you guys and gals have , or suggestions .

thanks in advance .

oh yea forgot to add ,,

i am also thinking about and researching running no shield and vertically hanging my tubes .

what is a better idea , im trying to get a bit more nugs on each grow ,

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
a similar attic setup (4X8 mylar box veg-only room in attic) is proving very difficult to keep cool. built over the bathroom, to take advantage of bathroom fan vent. 8 inch intake fan now installed there, and 8 inch outtake fan that goes out a vent in the roof. Temps still peak at around 100F. How would one utilize a window AC unit in a space with no window?

Worm's Way sells a 7-foot two-sided zipper door for pretty cheap. Installs ez.
Good luck!

i wouls simply frame in a square then set the front half of the ac thru the hole , the back half i would put a drain pan under the ac unit , and then a drain line to the soffet going outside , also under the square imma build a small table for it to sit on .

jyou have to have the back half of the ac out of the room cause thats where your heat will be coming from the unit .. if you just place it in the room it will do no good cause it will put off heat and ac . heat out the back and ac out the front

for you tent , make a stand to hold the unit , put the unit in a drain pan and put some blocks under it so its not sitting in water . then cut a hole in your tent just big enough for the front of your ac to blow thru then seal around the from of the ac with some tape or whatever ..

to control it go to lowes and get a stand alone thermostat , the one they use for attic fans , it will turn on a outlet once the attic gets to a what ever temp you have it set to . and then put that thermostat in your grow room set it for you desired temp , and plug you ac into the outlet controlled by the thermostat . ya done !

growshower

build an ac box, there are plenty of tutorials on here, look them up and you will have no problem with your temps, peaking at 100 you should be looking at alot of dead plants

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
Does anybody have any experience with the portable AC units? There are quite a few on ebay. I'd rather roll something into a room than install it. Cheaper and easier, obviously, but would it work?

Last edited:
his grow has some good info , but im going 3 times bigger . i am worrying about humidity tho , i will have to do a check once i get it going . but i am starting construction today , i will get some pics going ..... no laughing at me tho , i will do my best but im not that good with wood working ... but ill get it done\
\

sense ill be making the outside of the box out of black plastic , will gloss white paint eat thu plastic ,,,, im thinking it wont , but paint is alot cheeping then mylar , and hanging the Mylar agents the plastic prob will be a pain in the arse .

yea i dont have the ac for up there yet , or the thermostat. but i have most everything else .. going to try to get frame and the plastic up today , ,

the door to the tent is still a open book in my mind so far but i will figure it out . but if anyone has idea please chime in .

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
the door to the tent is still a open book in my mind so far but i will figure it out . but if anyone has idea please chime in .

You might have missed this in my earlier post-

Worm's Way sells a 7-foot two-sided zipper door for pretty cheap. Installs ez.

it would work , but i dont see how they vent out the heat they thay make or that they take out of the room . but ive seen some that have a exhaust tube that you run out a window, this tube you could vent out your space.

or just build a table and put the ac on it , and slide it into a opening to the tent , dont seam to hard . and it dont take up any space !~

20864CIMG1637.JPG

here is a portable ac with a 6x4 straight boot attached the the front with a vent tube going into a tent

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
That's what I'm talkin' about! Could you post some info about that little ac unit? Thanks!

Last edited:
get a dual hose unit and keep it setup like that pic with main unit out of tent and hose from a/c port to tent. that way you dont suck out odor becuase 100% of consumer portable a/c's do. you'd be better off getting a window a/c and building a box for it, much more energy efficient and then you can use it for a sealed room in the future if need be.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
On the topic of attics, is keeping an attic warm in winter pose challenges? What are some remedies?

no problem , use same thermostat and use a plug in oil heater , the tall ones with the fins that are filled with oil , and let er rip ,,,

what im wodering about is if a smaller ac unit will do the trick agents 130 deg attic temps

Latest posts

Latest posts