What's new

Say cheese! hanuman's "elite" outdoor session 09

hanuman

Thank you for your comments, amigos :bandit:

dubite, well I don't know what to think of all those antifongic chemicals. To tell you the truth, I think I'd rather lose a bit of yield to budrot than spray them. I tried some organic preventive spraying with horsetail, but it doesn't seem very efficient. Maybe I should have tried later in bloom, but as I said, I don't like to spray stuff on buds. Greencure seems efficient, but I don't think it's available in europe. Over here, they sell "bud rot stop", but it is a micro-organism that "eats" molds... I find that scary too. Haven't read much about the stuff esbe uses. Oh well anyway, this is just a personal grow and I guess I'd have enough for the year if I lost 50% of it to mold (but I won't :D )

keke, thanks. I think that now I'm going to wait until they're really near finished before the next pics though... well, after those I'm going to post now anyway.

mme_oscar, long time no see, glad to see you over here. For the JH well, I think 1st week of november. Actually the trichs on the JH are already quite cloudy, but the calyxes haven't swollen yet and they are still throwing pistils... I also hope a bit of evolution in the smell. At the moment, it's cat piss all the way, which is a good thing for a haze dominant strain, but I'd like a bit more complexity. For ferts well, first I really prepared the spot well to begin with (I think I describe whatever I added to the soil at the beginning of the post), and yeah, I add a bit of biobizz grow & bloom now and again. Say that when I water the spot, I use about 10 x 10 liter watering cans, with 40 ml each of grow and bloom in each 10 liters (the biobizz program specifies grow nutes till the end) thats... nearly a liter of nutes per watering session... Doesn't stop them from yellowing though. But well, I don't smoke leaves ;)
About my children not being aware: either they know and they are really discrete about it, or they just don't know. I have the luck to have a biiiig garden, i.e 2.5 hectares (thats ??? 5 acres ?). The grow is in a discrete part of the garden and my teenagers prefer their computers to outdoor activities :) Now, I'm wondering whether to stop growing or not next year for these reasons (especially the friends of my kids worry me). Maybe I'll try to setup a small indoor grow, for the first time after 15 years of O.D.

mumpf.... thanks. Something tells me that I know you from somewhere else on the Internet... Do I ?

splifftoker, thank you. Yeah, I have the luck to live in a very scenic area of my country, quite perfect to grow weed outdoor too (albeit a bit damp in october...)

dubite again : no, no frost yet. It was quite cold this morning and yesterday, but no white over the fields. I think "they" forecast 0°C for the next night, but that isn't going to hurt them. I might close both ends of the tunnel this evening, just in case. And during the day, we have bright sunshine forecasted for the next week and mabye later. Actually, the whole season has been fantastic, with a lot of sun.

A few more pics for your (and mine) pleasure:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Cheese. Very untidy looking, but the buds underneath are glistening with trichomes and the smell just makes me drool... Even though there is a hint of human excrement in it :eek:

picture.php

Tall JH cola. Maybe 1.90 meter high. Taller than me anyway.

picture.php

I've already taken the same pic twice (notice how it's getting colder?) and each time, this bud almost doubles in size between pics.

picture.php

JH : quite a bit of ripening needed yet

picture.php

The cheeses are more on their way to be ready.

picture.php

Cheese again. Is that a seed that I see half way down the pic, slightly on the left ? I haven't been able to find it on the plants. Don't know which bud that was, actually, there are so many :woohoo:

picture.php

JH again

picture.php

And last but not least... after mold, Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome the long awaited for Caterpillar !!
I don't usually kill insects or other creatures, but I must admit that I squashed this one with great rage with a pair of pliers.

Seeya soon

h :ying:

buddah

Life is one big grow........
Veteran
nice update bro....great shotz, love them!!!
And yes i totally understood why your kids friends make u nervous!!Even more as the know how weed smell..then they mostly know also how it looks!!!
But it sound u hiding your hoppy(smoking and growing) very well!!
Do your wife somkes,too??? i ask that because she said it u smell a bit like shit!!! anyway great thread!!!

hanuman

hi buddah, thanks for the compliments :)

yeah, when I was a kid, I used to hide from my parents (although I remember growing a big african plant on the family balcony, right outside their bedroom "It's African tobacco, mum", but that was at the end of the seventies, the typical leaf shape wasn't know then... and it became a male anyway)..... and today yes, I HIDE FROM MY KIDS. My older daughter knows I smoke, but it remains quite vague to her, even though being is the equivalent of high-school, there's a lot of smoking out of school, she says. Don't want to imagine what crap they must smoke but that's another story...

As for Mrs h well, the times where she used to smoke chillums filled with the finest charras with me before even getting out of bed in the morning is looong gone (for me too, though). Now she'll have a puff or two say once a month and shows absolutely no interest for it all. She always says she likes my productions though :D I think she's going to love the UK cheese (even though I really find there is a hint of human shit smell in the background... but then I hear they use shit-smelling ingredients to make the finest perfumes, so well...)

To come back to the grow, I've been picking quite a lot of moldy bits lately. I'm considering a semi-early harvest on the cheeses & the rhinos, maybe this week-end. I have mostly cloudy trichs on the cheeses anyway

No mold at all on the JH, I'm going to try to finish them fully, i.e first or second week of november, if weather allows.

dubite

Hej there hanuman,
Did you harvest or do you let them go full time?
Will start harvesting Friday evening after my last exam this run. They are looking nice and turning purple ;)

hanuman

Hi Dubite :wave:

Well no, they're still in the ground :) This is the very delicate moment of the grow, trying to maintain a good balance between maturity and not being overwhelmed by budrot/mold. At the moment, I have say 70% of the trichs cloudy/milky, and maybe 15% each clear and amber (on the cheeses anyway, the JH was about 2 weeks behind to start with. I don't think I'll harvest the Jacks before the first week of nov).

I'm getting quite a few spots of mold, trying to cut some affected buds daily. (this means I have started to sample the cheese... well they taste just as they smell, and they smell fantastic. A bit hard to evaluate the high at this stage, but it seems promising).
About mold, I have no problem with losing a bit of the harvest as long as I can get most of it fully mature. I have been disapointed too often with early harvests in my growing life.
Well I have more than enough for the upcoming year anyway, as it is a strictly personal grow, with absolutely no commercial plan. Hopefully, I should still get enough full jars for the year and even more, and still be able to make a reasonable amount of hash too.

I'll take some pics this morning. The UK cheese buds look absolutely delicious, resin covered and delicately colored by the cold weather we've had last week. And who knows, maybe this morning will the the day of the big Chop on the cheeses & WR. As a side note, I don't recommend white rhino outdoors or even under a shelter, as they are really mold sensitive. But then that's my fault for growing indoor strains outside.

buddah

Life is one big grow........
Veteran
sound good overall bro!! Wish u a great harvest and happy cutting!! And wátch out the smell!! Would be stinky!! dont know where ur drying but be carefull with ur daughter

THC123

Veteran
I'm getting quite a few spots of mold, trying to cut some affected buds daily. (this means I have started to sample the cheese... well they taste just as they smell, and they smell fantastic. A bit hard to evaluate the high at this stage, but it seems promising).
About mold, I have no problem with losing a bit of the harvest as long as I can get most of it fully mature. I have been disapointed too often with early harvests in my growing life.
Well I have more than enough for the upcoming year anyway, as it is a strictly personal grow, with absolutely no commercial plan. Hopefully, I should still get enough full jars for the year and even more, and still be able to make a reasonable amount of hash too.
:yeahthats

great lookin buds you got there , i also prefer losing buds to mold than spraying them

hanuman

Thanks bros :)

Well THC123, I'm with you on this one. Spraying chemicals is not even an option over here. :noway: I don't even put any chemical nutes in the soil, as a matter of fact. This is a 100% organic grow.
The only things I spray, and that's in veg, are organic liquids such as home-made nettle manure or horsetail manure. I do my best to magnify the purity and taste of the end product, hence the lovely yellow color of the leaves under the tunnel :laughing: at this stage of the grow.

buddah well yeah. I have cut a few moldy buds these last weeks and the salvaged bits are now drying in my garage and the smell is just overpowering, I mean O-ver-po-we-ring, especially the UK Cheese. The others have a normal ganja smell. The cheese is ... ooooffff... something else.
Thnx to worry about my daughter (I also got a 13 y.o boy), but I have the luck to live in a big house in the country, with plenty of cellars, outbuildings and such. So the cheeses will be drying away from the house. I'm more worried about a footpath that goes by my drying place... Plus my children are very... urban for country kids, lol, so they don't venture much around the place. They prefer their computers & music instruments. Now I must admit that my son's friends worry me a bit, and this is probably going to get worse with the years. I'm seriously considering whether or not to have an outdoor grow next year for these reasons actually...

Anyway, a few more pics. The end is near for the cheeses. I think I'll harvest the JH around nov. 5 or 6 or later...

picture.php

What a mess... I know I know...

picture.php

As messy on the other side... messy but NICE!

picture.php

Jack Herer rockets, ready to take off (well not just yet)

picture.php

Sort of a general view

picture.php

Slightly colored Cheese - we've had below freezing temps last week

picture.php

White Rhino. I've already cut most of the WR colas, to avoid too much budrot.

picture.php

picture.php

Cheese on the two pics above. Sticky, smelly, cheesy...

picture.php

JH... I think I'm in for a treat with these. The initial cat-piss smell has evolved into... hmm... cat-piss + rotting fruit. Sounds great doesn't it?

picture.php

Cheese again

picture.php

Jack Herer

picture.php

I don't remember where I read that the UK cheese clone stayed green until the end... well... not here apparently.

These might be my last cheese pics before the chop.

dubite

Looking TASTY!!!:woohoo:

LOL @ the JH smell. The Super Skunks smelled very fruity but in the last week the smell has evolved to a rotten oily one. I am sure this strain will make me :abduct:

Tonight is the night ;)

keke.nz

Wheres the pictures hanuman!? I'm waiting for the beautiful buds haha.

Hope the trimming is going well.

Peace keke :joint:

hanuman

Well well.... no beautiful buds to be seen. :pumpkin:

:badday: :badday: :badday:

I lost the whole cheese/WR crop to mold, as I had to leave for a few days just after hanging the harvest. I must have missed a few mold spots (not surprising with something like a hundred branches to dry) and when I came back, lo and behold... :yoinks: an awful grey/black fuzz all over the buds. Pure genuine mold, completely different from budrot.

All in all, I must have lost something like 90/95% of the cheese and WR. This was the first time I experienced post-harvest molding and believe me, it isn't a beautiful sight. I guess the loss would have amounted to anywhere between 2 and 4 pounds dry... :( But then it's my fault for wanting to leave the plants for as long as possible. It's always difficult to find the perfect balance between ripeness and risks of mold. I guess I should have harvested earlier... Next year, it'll be either earlier strains or I might try all these wonder antifongic products like Bud Rot Stop or the famed Greencure, if I can manage to get hold of it over here in europe.

Fortunately, I still should have enough Jack herer to last me for the year... but then, so much for variety.
Oh well, at least I have been able to sample the legendary UK exodus clone and if there is only one thing to say, its reputation is well deserved.

dubite

Really sorry to hear that hanuman but I think you know now why I cut mine fresh. Even with doing it like that I still missed some very tiny mould spots. Sometimes only half of the calyx is moulded and that is very hard to see. However, most of the mould was cut out in the first instance so I have a pretty nice harvest to enjoy!
Something to keep in mind the next year. Too bad tho, as the WR and the Cheese looked excellent!!! :fsu:

keke.nz

Sorry about the mold hanuman, must be gutted.. Glad you have enough JH to last you the year, but I got to agree a bit of variety is nice. Good grow either way and can't wait for next season.

Peace keke :joint:

wotamess

Total bummer, you can still use it in bubble bags to salvage a good bit of the important part.

^^ this is the only + side to the whole story...

really sorry for you, han... i had a similar thing happen with one of my plants this year...

still, a beautiful grow!

best of luck

-wam-

hanuman

Thanks for the comments my friends :)

Well mold has stopped progressing on the affected harvest now that the plants are on the dry side. Still plenty of visibles trichs all over. I'm going to do a small BHO run later today with a few moldy buds and yes, the bulk of the moldy stuff is going to be bubblebagged (if that word exists). Now I only have a 5 gallon 3-bag ice-o-lator and I'm considering the purchase of a large ice-o or bubblebag kit (100 liters?), as there is quite a lot of stuff to process.

Hopefully, I should still be able to salvage a few unaffected bottom buds too.

And truly, the cheese if absolutely out of this world. For those who doubt whether they have the genuine UK cheese or not, you just KNOW when you grow and smoke the real thing. I gave quite a few cuts around in my area while the plants were vegging and everybody here IS JUST IN LOVE WITH THE STUFF.

Now, if you don't mind leaving me alone while I jump off the highest cliff I can find .... ;)

(on a more serious note, strangely I'm not as affected as I thought I would be.... go figure... Probably the pound or so of JH that's drying is helping... specially as I only sampled very early samples that already blew my mind, so I have greats hopes for the mature, dried and cured product, which I'm not going to try smoking before it's actually dried and cured... well maybe a bud or two before jarring... I'm only human after all).

Thanks again for your compassion, guys, really appreciated.

nomaad

Veteran
Hanuman: very sorry to hear about your mold issues. The NAmerican guerilla growers swear by greencure/potassium bicarbonate. They hit the plants at least once a week up will the last couple.

I lost a bit to mold as well, but nothing like the 90-95% of a strain you talk about. Its good to see you taking it well. I'm sure you won't let it happen to you again.