What's new

indoor mushie tut

P

Peat

Oh yeah, Brother Bear!!! :jump:

I've been wanting to grow some shrooms for far too long!

I was excited when they appeared in your thread a few months ago!
Then, sad to see 'em go.

I just put the whole idea on the way back burner...

...til now...

Where's an oyster eatin' fella like me spozed ta get crushed oyster shells?
I like the idea of DIY...except for that "Y" part...

I dunno...

I'm going to need some spores, of some kind, from somewhere...eventually...

I guess I'm not quite ready...yet...:headbange

======================
Very interesting, 79towncar.
Are you saying isolate a "keeper" & produce a whole crops with it???

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Crushed oyster shells can be found at feed stores; they're used to supplement animal feed. Google feed store + your county and see if any results come up.
Also psilocybin spores can be ordered online, use google to find the popular sites. Prices range from 10-20 dollars a syringe...

79towncar

======================
Very interesting, 79towncar.
Are you saying isolate a "keeper" & produce a whole crops with it???

Yea that is exactly what I am saying.. What you do is you use agar inside petree dishes.. Then you innoculate the dishes with your preferred genotype and then once it colonizes on the agar you use it as your stock culture for all of your projects... It would be like preserving clones.. That way you know what your fruits will be like.. What you want to do is isolate ryzomorphic
(stringy) types of mycellium onto agar dishes because they gow much better..

Once you isolate a fast growing type of mycellium then you begin the pain-staking process of fruiting literally hundreds of isolates looking for preferred qualaties... They include mushroom size, potency, fast colonization, resistance to contamination and good fruiting ability.. Then you can further try and isolate physical characteristics.. Like big fruits, albinos, red or purple spores, solid stems instead of hollow stems.. People even isolate mutaded fruits.. Then there are novelty strains that people isolate like Penis Envy.. Which is a very penis-looking mushroom haha..

I know a fair amount about mushroom cultivation so if you ever need any help getting started or just some info let me know.. I will help you whith whatever when you decide (if ever) to start cultivation.. It's an amazing hobby and in my opinion much more fun then cultivating marijuana.. Also it costs much less money to get started and can be a very inexpensive hobby..

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran
Very awesome thread indeed..

i had a budy who grew some pretty intense shrooms years ago. i remember seeing a light over them from time to time?? maybe that was to raise humidity, anyways feedback anybody??

ohh yeah also, after harvest cant you get like 2 more just from the cakes sittin there??
forgive me for the ignorance, im illiterate in this subject. :joint:

-sR

79towncar

Some mushrooms (including cubensis) need light to fruit.. People usually use a 12/12 cycle like the do for weed.. Along with light they need fresh air and very high humidity... You are right, mushroom harvests come in cycles known as "flushes". After the 1st harvest usually there are 3-4 more... The substrate almost always has to be rehydrated again because the 1st flush takes away alot of the moisture..

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran
Some mushrooms (including cubensis) need light to fruit.. People usually use a 12/12 cycle like the do for weed.. Along with light they need fresh air and very high humidity... You are right, mushroom harvests come in cycles known as "flushes". After the 1st harvest usually there are 3-4 more... The substrate almost always has to be rehydrated again because the 1st flush takes away alot of the moisture..

79towncar you've been more than heplful in many area's.. much appreciated

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
Great thread BrotherBear! I used to be more into shrooms and considered how to actually grow them but never really got past that point. Seems easy enough, and nice to have them homegrown and not found in some shit. Somehow I ended up looking through a spore catalog randomly the other day, how do you know the difference between all the different strains?? whats good/bad? From what I understand, spores are legal because they do not contain psyilocybin? I do not live in any of those 3 states you mentioned...

79towncar

There really is no such thing as a "strain" with mushrooms.. Usually those strains are just vendor hype.. The different characteristics that you see are usually mutations or just different growing characteristics.. If they are the same species they are all basically the same. An example and the most common is Cubensis.. All cubes are cubes.. When you buy a strain, such as Penis Envy or PF Albino, in order to get your shrooms looking like they do in the vendors picture usually requires a few isolations.. Think of it like a pheno with weed. Just because you get some Black Widow from Mr.Nice dosen't mean that your plant will look like the one pictured.. You have to grow multiple plants out and try to isolate that exact phenotype.. Same thing for mushrooms.. You need to grow out isolates that were takin from agar and further isolate and clone mushrooms that fit your desired traits.. So if your looking at a strain and it says something like "strain has a good resistance to contamination and drops red spores", that dosen't mean that everytime you grow them they will peform 100% the same.. You need to do the work on your part and isolate that characteristic usually.. So by all means if you see a strain that has a characteristic your looking for then go for it. But be prepared to isolate that quality out with mutiple grows.. Hope I haven't discouraged you... It really could be a fun thing to do..

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
Thanks for the info 79. Nah not discouraging at all, just the spores I saw were all called something different or were from different places <--which makes sense, but no details on why they were different. Personally doesnt matter to me, unless someone personally recommended me certain ones for a specific reason ya know? the pheno reference made alot of sense. thanks

Justa6655321

Veteran
79er, I've grown many different strains of cubes. While they are typically all grown the same they are definitely not all the same.

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello Trippers :wave:
Where's an oyster eatin' fella like me spozed ta get crushed oyster shells?
they also sell it at orchid supply stores, that's where i get mine :yes:
Feed mills usually only have 50Lbs bags, you do not need that much LOL

i remember seeing a light over them from time to time?? maybe that was to raise humidity, anyways feedback anybody??
i just use what ever light happens to come in the window during the day
if it's in a closet, i would imagine a small nightlight for a few hours would be just fine for a single fruiting chamber
they will grow in the dark, the light is only a reference point for them to grow UP :ying:

I do this very simple friends, and indeed there are many ways to grow these lovely cubies
explore all the teks and pick the best that suits you
i have seen pictures that BLOW AWAY the small games i play

79towncar - thanks for sharing your knowledge man :respect:

---------------------------------------------------------------
i was talking to my outdoor partner about doing a larger mushroom grow in his house
well he agreed :woohoo:
so soon we will be doing a run with 16-20 of the tubs you see pictured here, gotta see how much shelf room we can build first
dunno how long it will take us to get things going, but i'll take LOTS of pics for you all :friends:
:smoweed:

SirSmokalot

My Zips Be So Fluffy The Whole Town Love Me
Veteran
thanks BB i been dieing to get a run started for a while now. when i do i will be asking you a few ? if ya dont mind

79towncar

Justa... What you are referring to (and this is still subjective) is different growing characteristics.. It dosen't "techquinally" qualify it as a new strain.. Since they are both the same species.. But I do feel that mushrooms are very different.. As long as people realize a Cube is a Cube and in order to get those different characteristics you usually need to isolate.. But mushrooms are wild haha.. I've heard of mushrooms being grown and they vary soo much from one flush to the next. I've even heard of potency varying from one mushroom to the next in the same flush!.. Multispore will do that and it is either loved or hated..

Some growers say repeating the genetics over and over (like taking clones over and over) will adventually mess with the strain and make it not as uniform as it once was... And still others swear by it.. At the end of the day it's up to the grower's personal preference.. Some people say that a true "hybrid" can't be made unless 2 species are combined.. An example would be Cubensis and Cyanescens.. And other's will say if I breed two mushrooms of the same species (cubensis) and they take on traits of both parents then that is a hybrid.. All that has happened is you isolated characteristics of both the parents..

I could go on and on with this but the bottom line is if you feel a difference between mushrooms of the same species then go with your heart and experiment.. Take it upon yourself and see what you like best.. I hope it all works out for yous! Take it easy..

Vegan

335348284-Picture_115.jpg

ummm shroomers:woohoo:

nice work ya got there..i likey the mushies

756138954-thumb_Picture_133.jpg

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:yoinks: Kudos Brother Bear and 79towncar, this is a very informative thread, you fellas obviously know your subject.