What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SYK's Killer Bucket System (KBS) Suggestion/Discussion Thread

~SYK~

Heya Guys,

I know there is a bunch of info out there all over the place on how to build these darn Killer Buckets System (formally Kr*&y Fu*&&n Buckets)

Many improvements have been made to help the system run better since the K-man himself was here pissing everyone off.

I will try and post some good diagrams and stuffs over the next few weeks, but questions are welcomed and encouraged as well.

Hope All This Can Help Someone!

Take Care Y'all

~ SomeoneYouKnow ~

AKA : SYK

(( You can search here for threads from "SomeoneYouKnow" or "SYK" even "aGrowerYouKnow" for a history 'bout my grows )) - Enjoy, sorry the picts are gone - it was ICMAG not me who removed them; I wish they were still here ...

I'm Retired from growing now, which is why I havent really posted for the past 2 years, so any picts I have are old from previous times past looking back .....

OghostO

If you feel up to it I would love to get some specs on 10'x10' set-up, there was conflicting information over plant and light placement in the last thread i read (thread was a few years old by bruceleroy). Also which water and air pumps are peeps using now?? I hope this thread has more info and less drama.
SAFO

P

purpledomgoddes

nice. looking forward to your experience and insight. ran kbs when read original thread. didnt get obsessed w/ air pumps, etc. coco seems comparable.

how would you compare kbs, and coco/coco+perlite, if have tried? only lacking seems oxygen input to root-zone?

whodi

Veteran
yes im interested

were krusty buckets normally in 12 x 12 or 10 x 10 rooms?

keep us updated :joint:

P

purpledomgoddes

yes im interested

were krusty buckets normally in 12 x 12 or 10 x 10 rooms?

keep us updated :joint:

no intent to hi-jack. kbs can be in any size room. important factor is knowledge of strain's stretch; or, when to set off flower to fill entire room.

if using a 3x3 area, flower when 3-5" tall. w/ thinning/pruning, should occupy entire area @ completion. can use same principle of swallow, recirc res, oxygenation, etc. on a bed ful of tomato plants, or 1 plant in a 6x6+ area. just dont wait too late to initiate flower, or will overgrow area/room.

in a 10x10/12x12, flower @~12-24", or ~center of room (low chest high), accounting for @ least twice stretch. ideally finishing @ 5x5x6+ of fruit. so, 2-4 plants in 3x3-12x12.

hope this helps. enjoy your garden!

localhero

awesome, cant wait for the final evolution of the killer bucket system :D ive been jumping between grow ideas for awhile trying to find what system build up, and seriously i dont know where the killler bucket system was hiding - i guess i relied too much on the diy linkorama page for my studies...

i really liked the bio bucket system for its ease of use and bio filtering but the height of it was killin me, massive buildout etc. this is perfect, growing trees. fuck the grow shop and its 200 dollar reflector.

ok so i like the 10 gal brute super bucket to maximize root growth and tree support/ all chunky perlite medium/no bubbler in the bucket but in the res makes alot of sense and im thinking the larger the res the better to help buffer the solution etc.

im a complete noob so bear with me, here is where my knowledge is lacking for this setup:

with your system are you only using one brute bucket raised up on blocks with a filtered drain at the bottom? or is this stacking buckets? i dont see why you would need to stack a bucket if you werent aerating anything.

if so, how would i move from veg to flower room? i mean i guess everything could just be disconnected.

are you air cooling your lights? i saw somewhere a guy using cool tubes to cool his vertical lighting.

is this really as strain specific as ive read elsewhere? somebody saying you had to only use a 50/50 hybrid?

why was krusty using and claiming the mh in flower was getting him denser buds?

would you use 1000's hps hanging? if air cooled? would it make a difference over 600s?

what nutes do you like with the killer buckets?

i was thinking of incorporating some things to this design and thought id pass it along for your consideration:

id like to drop some bio medium in a dryer bag into the res. i found on a pond forum this lady liked to use those plastic pot scrubbers - heres a comparison of bio media http://wernersponds.com/biofiltermedia.htm if anyone cares.

instead of pumping air into the res, put an inline pump piping water from the bottom of the res to the top to get that waterfall effect with more dissolved oxygen and perhaps better res mixing?

anyways, thanks for all your input here and elswhere syk- i feel a great thread coming on and im pulling up a chair.

I'm Sorry Mom!

yo, wutup SYK? i got a grow going single 18 gallon buckets, doing nice 60/40 mix

im baaack!

ISM

sling crack, sling smack, sling dick to dingbats!

~SYK~

Heya Everyone!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Life has been throwing curve balls the past week; sorry for the lack of updates.

ISM : Good To See Ya Bro!! Heard you were back; things have been crazy but we should have 'lunch' soon. PM SUCK on this board - ISM, and anyone else ... contact me here : syk at hushmail dot com

Back in a Few Days ....

SYK

~SYK~

Actually the vBulletin software (that ICMag uses to run the forums) is an *excellent* piece of software.

Problem is that .... ICMag has had such problem with SPAM I am guessing, that you must have 50 posts and wait 7 days in order to send PMs.

That is all.

Security is *obviously* tighter when using encrypted email as well.

Take Care.

SYK

C

CMoon

Chill on one sky:joint:

tight securitys good policy imho........love to see your grow dude, post a bit and feel the restrictions lift:abduct:

bests cmoon

~SYK~

Lemme Start by saying .... thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

I missed all of you too!

I'm still a little short on time, so I will just jump right into it.

If you feel up to it I would love to get some specs on 10'x10' set-up,

10x10 would most likely be lit up by a single 1KW in the middle and 4 600W on the sides.

The room can be set up like this :

o X o
X O X
o X o

with x = plant o = 600 and O = 1KW

That would be 3400 watts in lighting and 4 girls. You would need slightly more than a ton of AC (12000BTU) in that room with those bare bulbs.

Lemme know what else.

Hope it Helps

SYK

~SYK~

Also which water and air pumps are peeps using now??

Water Pumps : Look at Iwaki (industry leaders) or PanWorld Pumps (ones I ran - they took Iwaki's lead engineer and made a better pump)

You will need a PanWorld 40PX to do about 8 buckets.

Air Pump: Sweetwater Regenerative Blower and air stones made of PVC with small holes drilled in them. (( Though Alita has some new silicone tubing that I would be interested to play with ))

HIH

SYK

~SYK~

how would you compare kbs, and coco/coco+perlite, if have tried? only lacking seems oxygen input to root-zone?

I think your question is about media - so that is what I will discuss :

Lava : Original Medium, Wicks and Drains well, ph unstable, hard to wash, hard to disinfect, heavy to move/clean/dispose

Hydroton: I have never seen a successful Killer Bucket Grow ran wtih Hydroton. I personally ran it once, and ended up transplanting my plants into Lava (of all things) half way thru to save the crop!

Coir: Used on its own, it holds too much moisture in large pots Killer Bucket Size.

Coir/Hydroton 40/60 mix : VERY Successful. Many growers used this medium and were very happy with the results. The advantages of large plants without the disadvantages of a constant watering system and built in buffers to error.

Coir/Perlite : Never saw this used. IMO would still be too compact to use in KBS.

Perlite: THE MEDIUM OF CHOICE! Completely Inert, Lightweight, easy to clean, easy to use, wicks water well, holds water well, holds LOTS of air, hard to overwater, doesnt affect system PH or TDS like coir or lava ....I could keep going on.

Conclusion : Perlite or Coir40%/Hydroton60% mix

Was that what you were looking for?

Hope it Helps

SYK

~SYK~

awesome, cant wait for the final evolution of the killer bucket system :D ive been jumping between grow ideas for awhile trying to find what system build up, and seriously i dont know where the killler bucket system was hiding - i guess i relied too much on the diy linkorama page for my studies...

i really liked the bio bucket system for its ease of use and bio filtering but the height of it was killin me, massive buildout etc. this is perfect, growing trees. fuck the grow shop and its 200 dollar reflector.

ok so i like the 10 gal brute super bucket to maximize root growth and tree support/ all chunky perlite medium/no bubbler in the bucket but in the res makes alot of sense and im thinking the larger the res the better to help buffer the solution etc.

im a complete noob so bear with me, here is where my knowledge is lacking for this setup:

1) with your system are you only using one brute bucket raised up on blocks with a filtered drain at the bottom? or is this stacking buckets? i dont see why you would need to stack a bucket if you werent aerating anything.

2) if so, how would i move from veg to flower room? i mean i guess everything could just be disconnected.

3) are you air cooling your lights? i saw somewhere a guy using cool tubes to cool his vertical lighting.

4) is this really as strain specific as ive read elsewhere? somebody saying you had to only use a 50/50 hybrid?

5) why was krusty using and claiming the mh in flower was getting him denser buds?

6) would you use 1000's hps hanging? if air cooled? would it make a difference over 600s?

7) what nutes do you like with the killer buckets?

i was thinking of incorporating some things to this design and thought id pass it along for your consideration:

id like to drop some bio medium in a dryer bag into the res. i found on a pond forum this lady liked to use those plastic pot scrubbers - heres a comparison of bio media http://wernersponds.com/biofiltermedia.htm if anyone cares.

instead of pumping air into the res, put an inline pump piping water from the bottom of the res to the top to get that waterfall effect with more dissolved oxygen and perhaps better res mixing?

anyways, thanks for all your input here and elswhere syk- i feel a great thread coming on and im pulling up a chair.

Guys - if you could PLEASE .... Number your questions to make them easier to answer .... I have gone ahead and added numbers to your questions above.

1) I always stacked buckets; it started out as a design issue (it was designed to have water in the bottom) but in the last room I designed, there was no water in the bottom bucket, and we still stacked the two rubbermaid 10gal trash cans inside each other to give an area for drainage.

2) In KBS, your veg room becomes your flower room. Meaning - you dont usually run a veg area then move them to a flower room. That being said - the last room I designed we had trick mini-carts that we welded together to stand 14" tall with a hole cut out of the bottom for the plumbing. Pretty trick; unscrew the drain and feed lines in the V room .... and roll them over to the F room.

3) Air Cooling Vertical Bulbs is A PAIN IN THE ASS. Try if you like, but I would recommend AC at the rate of 1 ton per 3-4KW of light.

4) Strain plays a LARGE role. VERY large role. That said; when I used to post pictures people would always say I had golf ball sized buds (instead of baseball bats) ... but I was always pleased at harvest.

5) I think Krusty was a worker bee in someone else's large grow.. I think he just repeated what he had heard or seen, not what he had learned through hard experience. I dont know why Krusty claimed that. I have used MH bulbs in my rooms before based on his suggestions; but the last room I built only had a single one over the first pre-veg table.

6) Not sure I understand the question. Please see my posts above regarding plants and lights, and re-ask if that doesnt help. Thanks.

7) I LOVE LOVE LOVE CNS17 by Botanicare. pH balances VERY nice and HOLDS! All you need is a simple base nute (cns17) fulvic acid (fulvex) and maybe some silicone(silica blast) - other than that only simple PK boosters in flower.

I wouldnt mess with those biomediums.

I wouldnt put an inline pump either. If you want to do that, just put a T fitting and ball valves on your feed lines, and bleed some if it back into your rez.

Hope it Helps

SYK