What's new

First time DWC grow

I figured I would go ahead and post my first DWC grow.
Background....... I have been growing a while now (in dirt) with good results. Since reading ICMAG posts I have finally switched to hydro. I am running some simple DWC (5gallon sort) buckets. I purchased a system with 2 reservoirs and 3 5 gallon buckets, but have since decided to cut the reservoirs out. I have now converted to only using the 5 gallon buckets with an air pump and air diffuser. I had some problems with the system I purchased (stealthhydro...dwc setup) reservoirs leaking. So I decided to just use no res. So I have been going now for about 3-4 weeks with some plants now in flower (2) and some still in veg (3). I am doing sort of a perpetual system so I am slowly (1 every now and then) taking more plants from clone to veg.

I am running 1 4ft 8 bulb T5 Floro setup, and 1 400watt HPS in Veg. And 1 1000 watt (on a 6ft light mover, exhausted to outside) for the flower room. I also have 2 more 400 watt HPS lights available for flower when needed.
So anyways this is my first grow with hydro (have been trying in dirt for a little while now)
It seems to be going pretty well. I have had some crazy PH fluxuations with one of the plants (check out my other posts to help out with these crazy problems) otherwise its gravy.
So here are some pics that I have labled with the dates they were taken so you can check out the progression. I will try and keep the posts and pics frequent so I can keep ya'll in the loop. So help me out with comments, advice, scrutiny, etc, etc.....

CornDog

I just went to hydro from dirt and i like the growth you get from the hydro. What nutes at what strenght are you running??

Corndog: I am running General Hydroponics 3 part solution. I mix it pretty strong in a 5 gallon bucket ahead of time (PPM over 2000) but I dilute it when adding to my 5 gallon dwc buckets. Depending on age of ladies I run the PPMs anywhere from 400-1400 (with tap water ppm being 185). Obviousley the higher range of the PPM scale being toward the end of Veg (2-3 weeks) Dont know if Im doing it right but a grower friend of mine practices a similar method with excellent results. So right now my youngest girls are at a ppm around 400-500. As they become established I raise the PPM levels to promote growth. This is the best I have ever grown and I am beyond excited. I have been pulling between 1 - 2 OZS per plant (in dirt) but the veg time has been like 1 month. Im getting bigger girls (havent completed flower cycle yet with any hydro ladies) than I ever did with dirt with way less time. So if your new to this as well stay tuned or hit me up and maybe we can help each other out.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
You're using GH 3part? Sweet.

Do a search for Lucas Formula and you'll thank yourself. Lot less work in the long run, especially if you're running individual buckets. (without writing stuff down I would lose my mind with individual reservoirs like that)

Things to keep checking that are very important with DWC/SWC

Res temp. Higher temps will rot you out really fast. If your rooms get warm I would highly recommend insulating your buckets. (I'm currently using a half gallon of frozen water and a 1 liter frozen pop-bottle changed out between res and freezer to keep my temps down..... even in winter. Looong story, but effective if you remember to change out)

Light leaks in the buckets. Did that bucket with the pH issues have a bit of a light leak algae problem when you started it? That can cause a lot of different issues.

Air stones. Always keep checking to make sure your airstones are putting out enough bubbles. Cheap airstones dont' last long.

Air pumps. Make sure your airpumps are working well. Best results are obtained when you have at least 1 watt of airpump per gallon of water.

Those are the main places you can go wrong with DWC. Keep up the good work! :)

Last edited:
Yeah no light leak that Im aware of, the air tubes go through a rubber gromet so no light leak at all. Im just gonna keep on keepin on since all is lovely with that lady. I'll post some more pics when I get a chance. I have 2 more lil girls just starting out in veg so I will have some progression to show ya'll as well as the other in flower. Thankx for keepin up.

A pic of the roots

A pic of the roots

Here is a pic of the roots of one of my ladies in Veg. I am getting ready to take this one into 12/12 under 1000 watt Hps on 6 ft light mover (adjusted a little closer to 4 ft right now) These are some pics of girl #2 in wk 3 of Veg (started under 4ft 8 bulb t5 setup, and finished veg under 400watt hps)

A pic of the roots and of the whole plant.

BTW...... I have been using these 5 gallon buckets with a large net pot filled with hydroton since the beginning. I see by checking out some other posts that you's guys are using a much smaller net pot with less hydroton (which would be preferable) so the question would be what are ya'll using for a lid to fit the smaller net pot in.? And what size net pot is sufficent?
Also is it better to use a larger or smaller pot???? Does anyone know??????/

YO YO YO

HydroFarmer

Looking good hehateme19

You are right about the smaller netpots. You just need enough medium to support your plant and the 5 inch ones work great for me....

I run the 5 inch netpots and I just get the solid black lids. Use a standard blank CD-R spindle cover ( Its the perfect size for the hole) and make a template on cardboard. Trace that on the solid black lid and cut it out with a jigsaw. Takes like 2 minutes...

Hope this help...

Peace... :joint:

Looks good...I would rek-o-mend a Rez...it is just easier to check the whole batch from the rez then each individual bucket...

PH Flux....Man, that is a constant problem in the Hydro world! Only way to beat it is to join in on it...Check it more often...Normally in my system..I check it in the morning and at night... Its hard to figure out what your plants need each time you see them

Just gotta monitor it...that is probly the most important thing I do every day!

Thanks for keeping up and helping me out fellas

HydroFarmer: Thanks for the info on the smaller net pots, I am going to go and puchase some black lids either today or tomorrow. Also props for the info on using the template, every bit of info helps.

Smokey cigars: The original system I purchased about a month ago has two 13 gallon rubbermaids for res. I had them hooked up to the system in the beginning but I had some leaking issues so I decided to take the buckets off of the res. Besides the system (stealthhydroponics DWC 3 bucketeer setup) only came with 3 outlets on the res for 3 buckets. (I am currently up to 5 buckets and will be adding 2 more probably this weekend) So this way, without a res, I can put one plant at a time in 12/12.
I also have been checking my water a couple of times a day for Ph fluxuations and what not. I completly changed the water on the one bucket with Ph flux, and so far so good.

Also I have been keeping a pretty detailed log of each plant (PPM, PH, Water Temp, EC, and overall discriptions of what Im seeing with each plant) So hopefully if I continue to have this problem I can maybe figure out what is going on.

What type of PH up/down solution is everyone using??

HydroFarmer

No worries man....

As far as Ph Up/Down, I just use the General Hydroponics..its like 18 bucks a gallon, but that gallon goes a long way when you have a larger water system..( keeps it more stable. I only have to adjust maybe every 2 weeks and that's because I am topping off my res with regular tap water)

Hydro Farmer: Okee Dokee It looks like I will be buying some of that tomorrow as well. I was already considering using a liquid form anyways (since the stuff I got with hydro kit is powder) And why not go with GH it works well for the growing right.

Since I recently switched to hyrdo one of the things that amazes me (other than the crazy growth) is the size of the root mass. So here is a pic from last night of my oldest girl vegged 2 1/2 weeks and now in wk 2 of bloom(well a root pic anyways) I should have rinsed off the nutes before taking the pic. but you'll get the idea.

Last edited:

SpoCannabis

Yeah, its pretty sexy isn't it?!? I have seen some crazy fat dreadlocked roots from the DWC. That is what makes this method superior to all in my opinion....endless root growth space. We all know the stronger and larger the root mass, the stronger and larger the plant...thus providing more fruit heh.

So I figured I would go ahead and update this post with some new pics.
Figured I would go ahead and show the 2 different rooms, Veg and Bloom.

I keep my clone machine on the floor in the Veg room. Clones have a 2bulb floro setup in an EZ cloner on a heat mat. Works out good.

I need to do a search about taking and posting pics cuz mine suck. But you will get the general idea

Just cut a few new clones on Friday so those are up front.

Pic of the bloom room oldest girls (in the dirt on the end) were put in 11/24. And the other 2 were put in 12/4. On the left side of pic.

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
alot of on line grow shops sell heavy gauge black plastic lids with built in 5" net pots. the ones i use are for your standard 5 gall black plastic paint bucket but may fit 3.5 gal. check out htg supply or bghydro

SpoCannabis

jammie said:
alot of on line grow shops sell heavy gauge black plastic lids with built in 5" net pots. the ones i use are for your standard 5 gall black plastic paint bucket but may fit 3.5 gal. check out htg supply or bghydro

Any good grow shop has these....typically 5"-10" that fit 5gal buckets

CornDog

I think net pot size doesn't matter i use 3in net pots in my tubs, it does become a hassle when they start getting bigger then need support sometimes to keep some of the smaller branches off of the lid but growthwise they seem to grow the same.

Currently I am using the lucas formula witch i tend to like, less res changing, no real need for ph up/down, plus i grow different strains in each tub and the lucas formula gives them all what they need.

SpoCannabis: thanks for all the extra input. Yeah its crazy the amount of root growth you get with this simple cheap setup.

Corndog: Glad to see ya stopping by. I looked today for some lids with the net pot built in but couldnt find any at my local hydro shop. So I went with the black lids I'll just have to cut the lids in I guess.

So like I said I puchased two more 5 gallon buckets today with a new airpump,(2) 3 inch air diffusers, some black tubing, 2 black 5 gallon lids, 2 net pots and a bag of hydroton. Got it all for like $65.00. So tonight I will be setting these two up with some of the White Widow clones I have, I'll post some more pics later.

:muahaha: :muahaha: :muahaha: :muahaha:

HydroFarmer

Looking good hehateme...and I managed to find those lids with the netpots already built in, but they were like 5 bucks and the netpot was like 8 inches! Way too big so I ended up making my own and they work just fine...but good luck and can't wait to see some more pics!! :canabis:

Latest posts

Latest posts