Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Grow Diaries > The "Beer" Fridge...

Thread Title Search
The "Beer" Fridge... Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2008, 08:22 PM #1
Suby
**AWD** Aficianado

Suby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really nice
The "Beer" Fridge...

I though I might share a recent project, I have always wanted to try building one of these.

I have often read that these have been a flop but it's soo tempting because fridges are all over the place.
One of the issues that concerns any system of this type is heat, they are built insulated thus hold heat.
This is a problem if you live in say the desert but in my case it's freezing cold half the year...

I repainted the fridge in white and gutted it completely.
I painted the underside black to limit light leaks from the 2 x 6" intake holes.
I removed the door storage panel and replaced it with an acrylic panel for extra room.

I'm running a 250W MH with reflector and NO hood, the fan is a 6" Elicent and it's passive intake.
The fan filters air through a homemade carbon filter, the setup also draws air over/around the ballast cooling it.
The beer box hides the fan to add a little stealthiness .
The fan has been hooked up to a solid state type ceiling fan dimmer which is pluged in to a thermal ON/OFF unit.
This allows me to use the light to keep the cab warm in winter and cool in the summer by adjusting the unit.
Both the fan unit and the light are plugged in to a power bar that is mounted with a timer, it shuts the fan and light off together.
This ensures that I maintain the cab heat through the dark cycle while trying to keep the cab toasty for awhile...I hope.

I am still sexing these but eventually I have a Rubbermaid tub and I'm going to SOG in there with about 12 clones.
So far so good, thanks to JJ Scorpio for the beans .

Peace
S

Last edited by Suby; 09-28-2008 at 01:24 AM..
Suby is offline Quote

Old 09-27-2008, 10:48 PM #2
sativa_cyborg13

sativa_cyborg13 is on a distinguished road
that is a great idea. the stealth beer box on top to hide the fan made me laugh. sounds like something i would do. i was really impressed by the thermal on/off unit. nice touch to a great setup. i just got rid of a fridge that would have worked for that type of a grow area. now im kicking myself for that.what strains are you running? do you have a grow diary? strong work anyway man. i myself do not have an abundance of space to grow in this tiny rented house, so i love to see cabinets and the like and how others think. good work.
sativa_cyborg13 is offline Quote

Old 09-28-2008, 12:47 AM #3
FreezerBoy
Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training

FreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud ofFreezerBoy has much to be proud of
Dude, They'll see that thing a mile away. You need a disquise.

Seriously though, I also employ the hide in plain sight approach. No one has ever asked why the big metal box looks and sounds exactly like an old freezer. Sometimes I wish I'd thought it through more and done the double decker fridge as you have. Then again, I love that the freezer's built-in lock is required by law. One more thing for people not to ask about.

Keep cool FB

FreezerBoy is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:09 AM #4
Suby
**AWD** Aficianado

Suby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really niceSuby is just really nice
Hello Guys thanks for the replies.

I've had close friends 3 feet from that thing and they never realized what it was.
It's a secure locked location seperate from the house surrounded by large dogs so no worries, stealthness is a non issue.

The breaker box is next to the door so I can switch it off like a light when I walk in.

FB that second one is funny as hell

I have a freezer with lock on the way, I'll be adding a padlock hook to this one using rivets in a few days.
I got lucky with this double decker, I was able to revove the section in between easily.
I have another freezer with a lock on the way from a friend, I'll be making him a veg cab with a 150W HPS for eventual flowering.

I don't do grow diaries anymore, I don't have the patience to update and the rest of that stuff and my method changes.

The ones in the pick are Grapefruit Skunk gifted by JJ Scorpio, very vigrous and bushy with a nice indica structure, great for this tiny space.

Last edited by Suby; 09-28-2008 at 01:10 AM..
Suby is offline Quote

Old 09-28-2008, 11:00 AM #5
fridge-farmer

fridge-farmer is on a distinguished road
Nice fridge Suby - I'm doing a similar approach myself... 400w hps in a cool-tube tho - hot hot hot!

How did you remove the cooling coils and compressor without spraying Freon all over yourself? I ended up leaving mine in place. I too was able to remove the floor of the freezer - easy as pie. Once I took the doors off it almost slid right out.

What are you using for the thermal fan control? I use a line voltage programmable thermostat which is working great.

Looking good! Can't wait to see how this turns out
fridge-farmer is offline Quote

Old 09-28-2008, 11:07 AM #6
fridge-farmer

fridge-farmer is on a distinguished road
Whoops - just looked at your pics a bit closer....

I see you're using the DuctStat thermo control. I tried the same product and found it to be pretty useless. The unit relies on air passing by the sensor hole on the back to take a reading. It's designed to be attached over a hole in ducting. I played with the settings for a week and then finally returned it to Home De Pot to get my $ back. Kept on thinking I had it dialed in, but then I'd check and either a) it'd be up to 90 degrees and no fan, or b) it be 70 degrees with the fan still blowing constantly. Much better luck and consistency with this product :

https://www.amazon.com/Lux-WIN100-Sma...bxgy_hi_text_b

Plus this is programmable if you want diff. settings for night vs day.

Hope this helps! Heat control is def. an issue in these insulated boxes.
fridge-farmer is offline Quote

Old 09-28-2008, 02:40 PM #7
Suby
**AWD** Aficianado

Hey FF,

Yup so far that unit has only been good to turn the fan on and placement is everything it seems, the minute I installed this at light level it's on all the time.
I got it for 5$ from a friend, it worked as a ghetto setup until I dial it all in 100%

I have one of these units that I was going to order from my friend's shop.

It's a 100$ though and the one you posted is like 40$ landed, I might buy that one instead if you say it's running nicely for you plus it has more options.

I pulled the unit outside and set it on a pan, clipped the hose and let it empty itself, worked fine and as such was able to put the passive intake holes where the compressor and other shit was.

The floor is solid but the divison came out easy as pie.
Suby is offline Quote

Old 09-28-2008, 06:51 PM #8
Mr Celsius
I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.

Mr Celsius is just really niceMr Celsius is just really niceMr Celsius is just really niceMr Celsius is just really niceMr Celsius is just really niceMr Celsius is just really niceMr Celsius is just really niceMr Celsius is just really niceMr Celsius is just really niceMr Celsius is just really nice
Noice Suby
A plea for your Health (look at this) HP Stadium Organic Pest Control Organics for Beginners BigTokes ~ Basic Water Chemistry!! ALL ABOUT BONSAI MOMS/MUMS Yayyy! My first colloidal silver generator The 6k Stadium that foil tape built

Nature is like a brilliant opponent in chess: "We know that his play is always fair, just and patient. But also we know, to our cost, that he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance." - Thomas Henry Huxley

"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power." -P. J. O'Rourke
Mr Celsius is offline Quote

Old 09-29-2008, 05:26 PM #9
Suby
**AWD** Aficianado

Thanks MrC,

I won't be paying the rent with what grows in there but for me those days are over lol.

Just an update, it's confirmed I have 3 females to work with :
Last run with these seeds I was left with 6 out of 6 males, I blame poor environment and low RH but I'm rocking now.

These have been flowering 14 days, they showed at the bent over LST tip but not at the new shoots.
These where transplanted into 2 gal pots from 2L soda bottles.
I put the rootmass to one side of the new pot and left it at an angle to lower the profile, I also planted the mass very high in the pot, it's a BOG thing I'm trying out.
I packed the soil around the rootmass and tied down the stem tip after securing the base of the stem,.
This is the first time I try any of this during flowering, so far so good.
They've been on nothing but water and the odd dose of liquid seaweed and very small amounts of molasses, the soil mix has been doing all the work.
I hit them with an activated tea 3 days ago, I foliar a few time with plain water and the odd dose fulvic acid.

Updates to come when I get the new heat unit and when the cold hits...we'll se

Last edited by Suby; 09-29-2008 at 05:27 PM..
Suby is offline Quote

Old 10-31-2008, 12:41 AM #10
Suby
**AWD** Aficianado

Temps took 3 weeks to get setup but it's now well under control
They've put on alot of weight since fixing temps, this soil mix is rocking out nicely.
I pulled the ductstat 2 weeks ago, it was just not accurate enough for my site as stated above.
Filter is going strong, I've cleaned the inside up nicely, I've got a veg cab and primary flower cab on the way when I get more time.

Day 35

Day 43

Suby is offline Quote