What's new

Cannabis Gender Science Question

303Medical

Here it goes, can a male cannabis plant grow pistils and self-pollinate to form seeds? Will those seeds all be males, or mixed female/male seeds?

As a chemist, I want to further understand the science behind feminized seeds and the hermaphrodite nature of the mother plant. I understand that a female plant can produce male sex organs, reproduce with itself, and the progeny are always female, because there is no Y chromosome.

That leads me to say, can a male cannabis plant produce female sex organs? Obviously it's less useful to consumers because the unfertilized female "eggs" are essentially the product, not the male "jizz" :biggrin:

I can't seem to find any information on this. But i figure a cannabis breeder might have some first hand knowledge of this.

Thank you for your time :tiphat:

Treevly

Has it ever occurred to anyone to stop obsessing about the plant's sexual parts and consider how the plant feels about its sexual identity?

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕
So if males grow pistils and self-pollinate, the offspring will be both male and female?

Yes. From a reversed male plant you can create regular male/female offspring.

(As a sidenote, YY is however believed to be non-viable in Cannabis).

picture.php

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕
Check this thread out. This is the original thread from Skunkman where he reverses males to judge the smoking quality.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=99597

All your answer are in there. I would only be repeating what is posted there as I have no first hand experience on the subject because I have never reversed a male myself.

Cheers.