What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

It's all snake oil except for your base nutes and micos

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
build a soil kind of seems like an organic version with all the individual ingredients

dr earth, down to earth, fox farms happy frog all offer a single product that can be mixed into a base soil and bring it, but how often do you see posts about someone being confused as to what bat guano to get to mix for their veg blend etc

the point of organic is to not need as much fussing as hydro, you don't even need molasses for aerating stuff

Agreed! Build Your Own soil, replenish old soil (after baking). ;o)

'Boogieman'

I really like using kelp meal and fish hydroslate outdoors, I have seen my plants pray and grow at an incredible rate after giving them a feed.

bucketgirl

I agree with OP, though I can't say I've tried every additive. My initial reaction to anything with heavy handed marketing is skepticism, so maybe I'm biased.

When it comes to fertigation, I have found success learning from how other crops are grown hydroponically. Skip all the BS marketing magical juices and horse-shit wive's tales from how it was done back in the 70s. Commercial growers of other crops don't fuck around with bullshit. They have the data to work off of. It's useful as a starting point, anyway.

I think there may be some potential in PGRs (eg: Triacontanol) though I also haven't gotten around to testing...maybe someone else who has can chime in.

Currently using dry salts + silica in veg/early flower.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I've got a gallon of Terpinator that I haven't used because I have a feeling it's a snake oil.
I've heard some people say that Terpinator gives a certain taste to strains across the board.
I definitely don't want all my different strains tasting the same, that's why I have such a variety.
That company also makes the Purpalnator or something like that.

mexweed

Veteran
terpinator works, but if you're in organic soil you really can't beat fresh banana water

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
terpinator works, but if you're in organic soil you really can't beat fresh banana water

Hey Mex!
When you say it works, what did you see?
An increase in all the terpenes present -straight across?
An increase in some of the terpenes present?

Or an increase of new terpenes that aren't usually in that strain?

Thanks for your time.

Absolem

I agree with OP, though I can't say I've tried every additive. My initial reaction to anything with heavy handed marketing is skepticism, so maybe I'm biased.

When it comes to fertigation, I have found success learning from how other crops are grown hydroponically. Skip all the BS marketing magical juices and horse-shit wive's tales from how it was done back in the 70s. Commercial growers of other crops don't fuck around with bullshit. They have the data to work off of. It's useful as a starting point, anyway.

I think there may be some potential in PGRs (eg: Triacontanol) though I also haven't gotten around to testing...maybe someone else who has can chime in.

Currently using dry salts + silica in veg/early flower.

Hey Bucketgirl,

Hope all is well and your grow is slaying it.

I have an account on IG. Absolem45thparallel. DM me.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I'm using RecycleSil, calmag, GH Flora micro, grow, bloom, and Koolbloom in Coco.
I use Recharge, but I don't think I see the same benefits as I did when I used it in soil. Not sure.

T

TheForgotten

Sure, you need a good A/B with micros, like floraduo, but everything else is bullshit imo, and I've tried EVERYTHING. All of remos line, KISS, everything under the sun.

Getting your environment with CO2 perfect (along with PH) trumps any bs you dump in the soil, including "bennies". It's all bullshit to make you buy more shit you don't need. That's my opinion after trying everything under the sun for over a decade. (Shwazzing and spreading is very effective too)

If you strongly disagree, what's the one nute/fert that REALLY helped your yield that I haven't mentioned?

Get some organics in your mix, it helps your plant build terpenes that cannot be built on chemicals alone.
All chemical base nutrients should be supplemented with organics. Take whatever nutrient strength you want, make it 2/3 strength and add organics til happy.
I personally like Pure Blend Compost Tea

https://www.botanicare.com/products/pure-blend-tea/?modal=true&sl=false

And this stuff seems good....
picture.php

mexweed

Veteran
the trichomes looked bigger/fuller than usual, I had never grown the strains before so I can't comment on the flavor, but they didn't all taste the same, I feel like people that say that about products don't flush properly

I've grown for about 30+ years and I'm still not sure what to use. I've always been very happy with bone meal both mixed into the soil and as a liquid application.
Im trying to better understand the chemistry with the help of some of you guys. Right now I'm using Maxibloom, liquid bone meal and Armor Si.
What else could I do to improve that mix?
My soil is a mix of Promix, wormcastings, perlite, vermiculite, green sand, kelp meal, soil conditioner, garden lime, bone meal and some beneficial bacteria powder.
Thanks guys :tiphat:

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
i add fulvic powder first, then agsil16(silica), then jacks, calnit and im done

just ordered some soluble seaweed/kelp and mpk for flower and will try those out

customhydro nutrients is really awesome, i get my calnit local really cheap and order jacks thru amazon, everything else i get thru custom

re: Jacks/Hydrosol: Amazon has a better price than Custom? I can see where the shipping might get you but CHN is rock bottom. Isn't theirs like 4 pounds for $10 or something? :tiphat:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I'd like to see a K.I.S.S. cannabis cup.

Everyone gets the same clones, a bag of maxibloom, a bag of epsom salt and a bag of pH up. I grow AMAZING cannabis with just the basics. Makes me sad when I taste 'boosted' cannabis, it's so gross compared to the natural cannabis flavors and aromas.
:tiphat:

X

xavier7995

re: Jacks/Hydrosol: Amazon has a better price than Custom? I can see where the shipping might get you but CHN is rock bottom. Isn't theirs like 4 pounds for $10 or something? :tiphat:

Just picked up 25lb bags of Jack's base and calnit for 120-130 total from amazon, it was roughly 60 a bag. Should be good for a few years.

I'd like to see a K.I.S.S. cannabis cup.

Everyone gets the same clones, a bag of maxibloom, a bag of epsom salt and a bag of pH up. I grow AMAZING cannabis with just the basics. Makes me sad when I taste 'boosted' cannabis, it's so gross compared to the natural cannabis flavors and aromas.

This is what I'm down for as well. Fuck all these different brands of the same shit.
I'm currently rocking Maxibloom but did add Armor Si, and liquid bone meal.
I want to here more about people's experiences with the KISS methods. Different variations of..

THC123

Veteran
It's not that they all taste the same, every strain has its own taste. But what you will notice, if you are used to only water and living soil, is that every strain will have a similar background taste, even with 4-5 weeks flushing (with that I mean only water).

Not everyone has such a delicate taste, but especially in the vape I notice this. And every product has its own background taste which it adds. The most disgusting one was plagron green sensation, followed by bud candy, come to think of it, they were bost equally disgusting, one was mineral the other organic. I also tried other in the past, it was okay but it made the weed fake sweet. yuckµ

But to each his own, tastes differ.

BillFarthing

Veteran
It's not that they all taste the same, every strain has its own taste. But what you will notice, if you are used to only water and living soil, is that every strain will have a similar background taste, even with 4-5 weeks flushing (with that I mean only water).

Not everyone has such a delicate taste, but especially in the vape I notice this. And every product has its own background taste which it adds. The most disgusting one was plagron green sensation, followed by bud candy, come to think of it, they were bost equally disgusting, one was mineral the other organic. I also tried other in the past, it was okay but it made the weed fake sweet. yuckµ

I can taste when organic flower has guano in it. Canna Boost makes everything taste the same too.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training

Not everyone has such a delicate taste,
You'll notice this background taste changes with the composition of the living soil. I'm pretty sure over half the population is unable to taste this difference.

The issue revolves around phytoremediation and cannabis' ability to absorb through other channels than passive ionic exchange. Cannabis has no need for motor oil, but it will absorb it from the soil. It does this with all kinds of molecules and elements, especially when they're available in excess in the root zone.

This is why the same clone in 4 different strength 'super soils' only tastes awesome from the least amended one. The more amendments, the more organic 'flavors' are imparted to the cannabis. When amended improperly for the specific genetics (which is most often in my opinion), organic cannabis is very gross in flavor, with a lower flower, resin and burn quality.

As far as I'm aware, cannabis is very good at packing 'excess/unusable' elements and molecules away for rainy days. There is no flushing out of mistakes, that quality hit is permanent.

Hydro is even easier to screw up, which is why you find more folks bitching about hydro than organic. They're both disgusting when done wrong.

THC123

Veteran
Oh yeah I fully agree Curtis. When I had more hair and was young and started experimenting with solids topdressing and soil making I didn't have a feel for it or as much knowledge. And I even topdressed as flowering began (which is way way way to late lol.

So yeah I have also had disgusting organic with very little flavor and harsh, the leaves almost looked like dark shiny plastic at harvest. No yellow leaf to be found.

And I have also had very good chemical or mineral cannabis, even this year on guerilla.

But like you say, when done right. Lots of these canna nutes, mineral or organic have flavor enhancing ingredients. But enhancement for who??? I dont want liquid nutes to make my weed taste like candy.

So yeah with the right ingredients lots of possible. Bet as basic as possible. I have had awesome chemical weed cultivated with Peeters nutrients. They are very clean, have no residu and don't contain any unnecessary stuff. Of course there are other nutrients like this as well.

But most bottled, "specially made for cannabis " nutrients, chemical or organic seem to have unnecessary ingredients that change taste. And they did it on purpose because for them it enhances taste.

Since I don't do mineral nutrients (might some day) as I don't feel like monitoring the PH of the water and the EC of the nutes all the time, my style of choice to get the cleanest taste is living soil and solid organics.

X

xavier7995

I always referred to it as salt and pepper, pretty much all food gets salt and pepper so it's just this underlying flavor component that is always there. I think that is a contributing factor to the organic soil folks argument about how it really brings out the best flavors/smells/etc. If I get food sans salt and pepper there is a good chance I am going to think it doesn't taste good.

I have tried some exceptionally good weed from organic folks here in CO, it was great tasting and clean burning. Talked to the two best I knew (one even has a sticky) and they were kind enough to share some tips and their soil mixes, my attempts at soil sucked a bag of dicks relative to anything they put out and tasted "heavy" for lack of a better term and didnt produce as well. To the point doug makes, I do think its easier to avoid the insane over feeding that you can get with hydro so that's why lots like soil, but I also think tailoring salts in some inert medium where you control exactly what it gets and really work on it and dial it in will result in a better end product. Like sports cars, most can drive fast and turn in a good lap time using a modern car with all the gadgets going...ie a big wide safe zone of performance, but to really take that car to the it's full potential you need to turn off that safety margin and see how you do.

Ps...been watching way too much top gear. I like my analogy though:dance013: