What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY worm bag tutorial...

If anyone is interested:

This is how I'm making my DIY worm bins this year:

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

1) I begin by removing any glossy pages in the news paper.

picture.php

2) I then shred an entire newspaper a page at a time.

picture.php

3) I moisten that newspaper layer and cover it with a layer of base mix soil.

picture.php

picture.php

4) I then repeat steps 2 & 3 until the fabric pot is about halfway full

picture.php

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice.

I almost killed off my worm bin by letting one of the lower layers get too wet.

5) I now add my worms and continue doing steps 2 & 3 until the pot is nearly full

picture.php

6) The last layer I add is a mixture of cover crop seeds & base mix soil at a rate of 1 tablespoon per scoop of soil

picture.php

7) I will place this under T5 grow lights allowing the cover crop to grow like gras and chop & dropping it whenever it rises above the sides of the fabric pot

picture.php

[more pics to come]

8) Every so often I'll apply the #AvocadoTech to increase the worm activity near the surface and stimulate mating

[pics to come]

P.S.: This makes a product I call vermigold that need only be combined with aeration amendments like rice hulls & pumice to create a just-add-water growing medium (for most plants, many strains also need ACTs, SST, LABs & Top Dresses).

*A quick tip: continue adding worms of multiple varieties to kick-start the process, eventually you will have so many worm that you will be starting many of these fabric worm bins, and good on ya, start mixing up the Vermigold bagging it and sell it at farmer's Markets, Flea Markets, Farm Supplies & Feed Stores, as well as worms to bait shops & preconstructed fabric bins for the uninitiated consumer & budding vermiculturalist.

#Botanarchy
#GrowEverythingEverywhere
#WeGrowWhenWeGrow
#LetMyPeopleGrow
#WormsEatMyGarbage
#RegenerativeOrganicPermaculture
#DIYgardenTutorial

Nice.

I almost killed off my worm bin by letting one of the lower layers get too wet.

Bro, these fabric pots (recycled shopping bags) do the trick man, hard to overwater with all of that aeration, I set them on bricks in bins to collect any runoff for lechate ACT.

The microbial activity after this cooks for a few months is amazing, and the way it then allows you to cut it even more with aeration means you can fertigate more often (similar to a full coco coir or hydro setup).

I may start my own leaf mould (a fungal process) and then make my mixes 1/3 these EWC, 1/3 leaf mould & 1/3 pumice/rice hulls, I would think the rhizosphere would be incredibly well balanced & active.

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
Nice, I plan to start worm bin later this year, not sure about doing my own leaf mould, afraid of bringing bugs from outside. But may do for outside things. The worms, we have been talking about doing that for to long now. Thanks for the motivation.

...not sure about doing my own leaf mould, afraid of bringing bugs from outside.

We usually do ours in bags, we shred the leaves, then fill contractor bags about 2/3 full of shredded leaves...then we fill the rest of the bag up with lactobacillus innoculated water and then poke drain holes in the bag with a pitchfork, push most of the water/air out and tie off the tops, after 3-6 months that lacto & moisture works the leaves into a very nice mould where as it would normally take 2-3 years to make in a chicken wire pin.

I've never noticed a bug "problem" but I'm a huge IPM guy so bugs are either a good thing for me or I need bigger bugs to handle those baddies.

P.S.: I'm a huge fan of Green Lacewings for that purpose.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Try adding Great White beneficial bacteria and fungi as well as cyco zyme as they will greatly accelerate the decomposition process as well as being good for the worms and also good for the plants grown from it. :tiphat: