What's new

Originally thought I had mites. Now, I'm stumped. What is this?

scrappy that looks like mites thrips or pm.......what that means is looks like mites to me but it's hard to see with the pic's if the marks are whiteish and look like trails then thats thrips.......if they are fuzzy then it's pm...........or it's locked out mite attacks in my expierence are little yellow specks in a plenty......dude hate to say it but it may not matter come monday unless you got out there and built a sturdy as fuck shelter......good luck on that one.....it apears the stump is stumped lol.....

RetroGrow

Veteran
Not PM. Looks like leaf spot, a fungal infection, but could be mites/thrips. Have you checked underside of leaves?

Ha! Paladin beat me to underside question by a heartbeat.
Great minds think alike.

S

Scrappy-doo

Hey stump thanks for the input. Yeah it really looks a lot like mite attack doesn't it? Originally I just glanced at the spots and figured it had to be mites. Been spraying the shit out of them with pyrethrin spray every visit.

The thing is, I was looking under the leaves the other day and I didn't see a single mite. It's possible I killed them all, but usually there are mite carcasses all under the there after they get the rain of death.

Then I started to notice that the yellow spots actually are kind of blotchy. PM came to mind but I've never dealt with it. I don't recall it looking fuzzy but I'll have to take a closer look.

Yeah this hurricane might wreak some havoc. Luckily my spot is actually sheltered quite nicely. Hopefully it'll be enough.

S

Scrappy-doo

Hey Paladin thanks for stopping by. I didn't get any pics of the undersides but I can take some on my next visit, prob Monday.

RetroGrow, Thanks man I'll look into the leaf spot. Never heard of that. This definitely seems like it could be fungal. What would be the remedy for something like that?

I got some more pics I'll post'em up in a few.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Antifungals. Systemic or topical or both.
My post from another thread:

1. Bayer Advanced Disease Control. It is a systemic fungicide. Works 3 ways. Kills existing fungi, forms a protective barrier on the outside of the plant, and is absorbed into the plant to keep on protecting regardless of weather conditions. $12 @ Home Depot/Lowes.
2. On my outdoors, I spread diatomaceous earth around the bottoms of plants. Keeps insects away. Insects are often disease vectors.
3. A third product I use is Bonide Garden Dust. Noticed a marked difference after using it. It is an insecticide/fungicide dust. Contains pyrethrins, Sulfur (25%), and copper sulfate (5%). Bought @ Lowes. It's tinted green to blend in with foliage. Covered my plants with it, and also the ground @ base of plants. I had bugs munching on my plants, and after one application of this, not a bug in sight. The sulfur and copper kill fungi. If you're going to use spots again, cover the ground after harvest, and helps keep fungi down in the area for next season.
There are many other antifungals, one being "Greencure", sulfur, and copper.
Check this thread. Notice picture on first page looks just like yours:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=184996

hey scrappy get some plain ro water and get some fresh neem oil and open it up pour about 1/4 cup of neem into 5 gallons and water with this neem/water solution 4 mix it well of course for about 5 days straight then the neem will be in the stem of the plant and mites like to suck the sugar water from your plant,well the idea is they will be sucking neem water instead and all die. sure your plant might suffer a very small amount from this but you will eliminate all the mites you will need to follow up with a mix of 1 tablespoon of neem and 1 teaspoon of dawn dish soap into a cheap spray bottle shake very well and spray the under sides of the leaves to kill the eggs on the under sides that will hatch . neem oil is used for leaf polish so u can just rub the oil on the under sides of the leaves in a way that suits your liking

neem oil kills naturally no chemicals and it will kill over 200+ different insects its safe for you and the animals and doesnt poision your meds

S

Scrappy-doo

RetroGrow- Yeah I was reading that thread. It seems very much like what I have, particularly the pics from the book that were posted in the Ed Rosenthal book. So perhaps what I have is Leaf Septoria. I was thinking about getting some Greencure as a budrot prevention. The other 2 products you mentioned look great also.

Indoor/Outdoor- so you think it is mites? I like the idea of watering with neem. Never done that but I've dealt with mites indoors using neem. Good to know of that technique.

Poopy- Are you talking about adding aspirin to the waterings or to use as a spray?

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
I don't feel like finding the thread right now, don't even know if I could, but a guy was posting about a really scary plant virus, affects tobacco etc. Causes the chlorophyl to blister or whatever.

Your pics really look like what he was describing...

ah ha! found it... Mosaic virus!! ooooooo scarrrrryyyy!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=177527

RetroGrow

Veteran
RetroGrow- Yeah I was reading that thread. It seems very much like what I have, particularly the pics from the book that were posted in the Ed Rosenthal book. So perhaps what I have is Leaf Septoria. I was thinking about getting some Greencure as a budrot prevention. The other 2 products you mentioned look great also.

Indoor/Outdoor- so you think it is mites? I like the idea of watering with neem. Never done that but I've dealt with mites indoors using neem. Good to know of that technique.

Poopy- Are you talking about adding aspirin to the waterings or to use as a spray?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what you have.
Aspirin is a good idea too. It boosts the plants immune system and helps fight off any disease. Add a couple regular aspirin tablets to a gallon of water. Then adjust the PH, as aspirin is acidic and will lower the PH. Or it can also be used as a foliar spray, or both. I use it on all my outdoor plants as outdoors, plants are exposed to many more diseases than indoors, and there's fungi everywhere outdoors. Use it in conjunction with an antifungal. That Bonide is cheap and works very well, as does the Bayer.

C

CascadeFarmer

Looks like thrips to me especially in the second set of pics you posted but you've got other issues too like mineral/pH stuff tossed into the mix. Also looks like a grasshopper came in and chomped on things for a bit.

C

CascadeFarmer

This right here is thrips! Then yes you got other non-related issues and looks like in some cases the other issues make the thrip damage worse. In this pic pH kind of looks OK with the leaf teeth pointed up so just a little on the low side which is good.

S

Scrappy-doo

Hey everyone. Sorry for the delay I lost power yesterday so no internet.

CascadeFarmer- thanks for the heads up on the thrip damage. This will be my first time experiencing it so good to know what it looks like. I'm assuming the pyrethrin spray would be sufficient to kill thrips?

Stihgnobelovi- Yes this is primarily on the lower half of the plants and seems to be working its way up. It makes sense that it could be a deficiency I'm using cheap Miracle Gro 20 20 20. Maybe I should pick up some Cal Mag at the hydro store, and while I'm at it get some better nutes for flowering.

Retrogrow- thanks for the continued advise. I've heard the aspirin also helps prevent bud rot so I was gonna use that later on or something like Greencure. The bonide seems easy enough to use also so I'm gonna pick some of that up.

Lots of ickies out there in the wilderness. My plants had it made when they were indoors.

I'll update in a few days.

Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Latest posts