What's new

Greyskull The Upcountry Country Grower

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
aloha

thanks for checking things out i hope you enjoy the show.
heres a little about me to get you familiar with the tone of things to come...

im located on maui. its a little island in the middle of the pacific thats part of the hawaiian chain of islands. its a pretty cool place to live. i am very blessed to be able to call this island home. i live in an area called "upcountry" and im about 2000ft above sea level on the way up Haleakala (the extinct volcano). the microclimate i live in seems to be ideal for finishing the kind of plants i like to grow outside under the big hps in the sky. a friend of mine lives around the way and ive given him some cuts and hes finished them outside and theyve comeout so very well that i think ill be able to meet (or even surpass even?) the level of quality i have been used to with my indoor grows in california. but without the costs of running 1ks. :dance013:

ive been growing plants for a few years now - i am no expert and am mostly a newb. i am not keen on scientific jargon i am much more into a laymans type communicator... JACK AND JILL WENT UP THE HILL WHICH WAY DID HE GO COACH LOL... but i like to think i know what i am doing in regards to a plants life cycle and how to maximize it for optimal results aka killer flowers to burn. i am always open to learn and am looking forward to always improving - whether its weight or tactness or aroma.... but i am also a creature of habit - because what works for me works for me. one thing i like to say is theres 1000000000 ways to grow plants and harvest them and dry them and blah blah blah find the ways that work best for you stick to them master them and prosper fuck it. yeah.

my grow incorporates both indoor and outdoor styles. what'll that equal? hopefully some fucking dankness..... anyways...

I am starting/vegging my plants indoors. i have a little room thats 7x8x8. inside that room i have a 2x4 growlab tent loaded with 2x 2ft 4bulb t5 fixtures running 24/0. there's a small 4" fan i got from home depot exhausting the tent out one of the top vents, theres a small 4 inch fan non oscilatting fan on the floor blowing up and at the plants keeping them moving building strong shoots. all of my fixtures are not hung from the tent structure - i got a nice stainless steel rack/shelf that i affix everything too. it keeps the tent structure stress free (ive seen so many tents with collapsing roofs i wanted to avoid that and this was way easier than building a frame out of 2x4s) and adds a neat and organized look to my grow. success starts with organization. at least for me hahaha

i have a smaller version of the shelf that i store my nutrient stuffs on and utilize as a clone station too. it was the best 17.99 at lowes ever hahaha. i hang a simple 2ft floro over the tray. I need to get a heat mat though... that and an airpump (or regular pump even still undecided) to keep any premade nutrient solution fresh and full of oxygen. then i should be all caught up on necessary grow gear.

i LOVE growing in coco. and i LOVE canna nutrients. im sorry. say what you will about costs or "i could make it myself" or whathave you... it works like a motherfucker for me and thats all that matters. so fuck off hahaha. seriously, i get the end results of a well done organic grow with the size and speed of hydro. i'll take it. i hold the following products as essential during my grows: cal/mag, rhiztonic, coco a/b, pk13/14, boost, and original sweet. i like to add cannazym but sometimes i dont have the extra cheddar for the added security the zym provides inregards to optimal health of the plant. this first grow at the new (and final) spot i was short the do ra mi for the boost, zym, and original sweet but i did get a bottle of humboldt nutrients hydro honey for carbs. (I think sweet produces a better overall product regarding resin content aroma and flavor but hydro homey turns the buds into rock hard nuggs... so its not really a losing situtation hahaha). I have used canna coco, bcuzz coco, and just started using black gold coco... canna cannot be shipped to maui, the bcuzz is 35 a bag and only 1.5 cuft well the black gold has the same texture/consistancy of the bcuzz but at half the price for 2.0 cuft! so far so good. if they had canna coco though thats probably what id be using to be honest...

all that said about coco, i do prefer to keep my mother stock in soil. its just a lot easier to maintain theyre size and food/water intake than when they are growing all vigorusly in coco hahaha. ide been using fox farms ocean forest but recently tried roots organic soil... so far i seem to like the results much better than the of stuff. when i flower the moms i think ill keep them in dirt and just bump them up a few container sizes. for food i give them (in this order) 5ml/g cal/mag + 1ml/g rhizo + 5ml/g ff grow big + 2ml/g carbs (sweet or hydro honey - carbs rock in veg!).

my water out of the tap measured with my bluelab combo meter says 0.1 ec and thats the cleanest water i have ever had to work with!!! stoked about that for sure. a good grow starts with good water is what i was always told. and 6.0 is where its at ph wise. the range to be in imo is 5.8-6.1 so if im in the neighborhood im good but i try to just nail 6.0 because of the ocd.

once my plants are deemed "big enough" to flower, they go from comfy confines of inside the tent to the big bad upcountry outside. i purchased and assembled a 6x10x6 dog kennel, outfitted it with some bamboo reeds for some vision diffusion, and stuck it around the way where nobody can see it. my plant stand is simply 2 8ft 2x4s and 4 concrete blocks. when i get my patient number up i will eventually be adding another stand. if this method proves to be successful for me (this is my first time finishing outside and first time at the new place). ive got my fingers crossed but luck favors the prepared.... anyways the garden cage gets plenty of sun. choke sun, even. so i am very happy. i think.

the first batch of plants went outside dec 31 2011. about 11 days in they began showing signs of flowering. i've been told that the types of clones i grow (which i grew indoors in california before i moved) should trigger immediately once they have been put outside and that i shouldn't need to do any light deprivation or plant moving at night or all that stuff i should just be able to grow them to size, stick them outside, and harvest crip buds in 8/9 weeks. thats the plan anyways. so far so good.

"Technique" wise, i like to top plants, supercrop (break the inner hurd of the top shoots its like popping a pimple) to encourage more tops, and prune fan leaves and larfy little inside underneath growth. i believe that by dictating where the buds are growing i am dictating where the plant is effectively using its energies. I dont want fucking larf or shake. not even for hash - gimme buds and give me more buds. whatver larf/shake remains will be dealt with accordingly at the end of the grow (most likely bho hahaha yum yum). ive ebb n flowed in trays, top fed in trays, top fed containers.... feeding food is feeding food. just make sure the ph and ecs are solid and watch your plants - they will tell you how they are doing. and you'll find out how you did when you smoke your buds. or move them or whatever hahaha

im just getting used to this new camera. i am learning how to not take blury pictures! hopefully ill get it down and start taking those rad snaps! anyways..... heres some pics.

veg stuffs
picture.php

L-R chemd, valley og, skunkdawg, chems sister

picture.php

storage and clone station & fan/filter

picture.php

this is pretty much the back wall hahaha. small space :comfort:
so thats the veg tour for now hahaha....

heres whats going on outside...
i need to pick up my weedwacker - needs a new carb btu should be done this week - so sorry for the overgrowth of grass

picture.php

the covered cage

picture.php

open sesame....

picture.php

packed in tight

picture.php

heres some valley og - notice i double stuffed the pot on the right.... curious how it turns out vs the 2 singles....

picture.php

maui skunkdawg. great plant to smoke. great to grow thus far... was being done by a local guy but he got busted. greenharvest i heard. fuckers. i was lucky to get the cut prior...

picture.php

the chemD on maui! (its middle plant)

picture.php

valley og @ 19 days outside

picture.php

skunkdawg @ 19 days outside

picture.php

chemD at 19 days outside

thanks for checking in
aloha!

Last edited:
G

Guest 150314

I miss Maui, Haleakala is beautiful place to smoke a joint and watch the sun rise.

Enjoy it!

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
decided to drop some sourdubblexaliendog/ether i had saved for a special day.
the day is today.
picture.php

cmon killer!!!!!

Last edited:

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I ain't even got time for this right now...just wanted to say welcome back bro...good to see you on the boards...I be back...

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah man part of the reason i hadnt logged on and posted was the first fucking post of a thread i knew it was going to be a long winding one hahaha i just hope theres enough pictures. i plan on filling up this thread with pics.

thanks for checking in man.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE NICE WELCOME

heres those dubtechs swimming in some water
picture.php

they are gonna get to grow until at least march 3....

and heres what the sunset looked like when i went for a walk. its okay i guess....
picture.php

Last edited:

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
hey GS, when is the average flowering times down there? figuring you got nice weather down there all year round im sure outdoor you can get 2 crops a year

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
olah joe
to be honest, i really just kind of moved into my spot, but i think theres 2 long seasons and one short season... I need to check and get the correct info again from my friend oldhaole hes like encyclopedia maui hahaha so much knowledge about this place and how to grow here.... but i do believe now is the "short season" though... long season ended in dec i think.

im naively and foolishly hoping to be able to flower all year round/getting 5-6 harvests a year as im running a sort of perpetual thing hahaha. im totally stoned but we'll see...

oldhaole

Veteran
Oh Shit! There goes the neighborhood....

Oh Shit! There goes the neighborhood....

Well lookee here....I brand new thread. Grey's back...and.... got himself legal...Wasn't hard huh?

Joe we can get three crops a year here. Long season goes from March to October. Short season goes from Sept to ...about now.
And if you plant seeds by Christmas a third season can be had until April.

The Dec- April season happens as the days lenghten. Often the bottom buds are fine but the tops tend to elongate, so the quality is not there. Plant a little later and you can have a few regrow...if your into that.

Sticking to the strains he already has, If Grey goes into full production mode (and the weather cooperates) he will easily get at least four crops. If he wants to let them bud inside for a week, five.
The limiting factor is he can only have seven outside at a time (until he gets another card...which I don't think it will take long to get)

By the way you do need a top on that cage. I can already see little hands reaching over that fence.

Welcome back Grey....Best of luck to you.

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
a top for the cage you say... damn. i guess teenagers are everywhere right. grey im glad to you see you back in action man all you hawaiians are making me jealous as hell... im looking forward to tagging along here... im sure youll get another card soon enough and fill that kennel up!!!! ps blackberry jack strawd cross... whaaaaa?

NorthernKronic

Grower of fine herbs...
Veteran
Wow such a cool thread. I've always wanted to move to Hawaii to take advantage of the weather. Def tagging up for this!

-N.Kron:rasta:

N

Nondual

By the way you do need a top on that cage. I can already see little hands reaching over that fence.
Top it with razor wire :)...but the rippers would probably end up suing you. I like CO though with their 'Make My Day' law!

A friend in SoCal had a camera setup like you see some peeps catch pics of wild game. It's like 3 pics in succession. He posted a pic of a dude caught in the act and like a deer caught in headlights lol. He ended up using a completely sealed cage.

Would be easy and inexpensive for you to set up a motion sensor in that area to warn you of any intruders.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Looking nice and making me jealous. Loved Maui when I went last year.
Did you use to peruse Dongle69's 6K thread? Name seems familiar that's all.

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey brother, great to see this thread! Both of your setups look killer. Rock it Maui style!!

Latest posts

Latest posts