What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zamal Hash - first indoor grow

Koondense

Veteran
Here's the Zamal Hash mother outdoors, now very near to harvest, probably in the weekend or next week.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And for the curious ones, the Cognition mother outdoors:

picture.php

picture.php

Cheers

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Koondense,

Your Zamal Hash mother looks very well developed and resinous!
How are the aromas in late flowering ? Check the forecast for the upcoming days,
if it's enough matured then i wouldn't delay the harvest.

Koondense

Veteran
Hi Dubi,
she is the most resinous plant I ever had.
The smell is medium strong, mild flowers with sweet bubblegum and spicy hash tones, can't say much for now. Expecting more stink in drying and curing, it will be a great smoke indeed.

Thanks for making this cross happen!

The forecast is not bad but I believe she's ready to be harvested, probably this weekend.

Koondense

Veteran
Outdoor update.

Both mothers were harvested yesterday.
ZamalHash was clearly ripe, darkened a bit because of low night temps.
The forecast predicts cloudy weather, so I felt there was not enough sun intensity in future days for the plants benefit and she ripened well in these conditions. The last week was partial sunlight with high humidity(95% at nights, 70% during daytime) and ZamalHash didn't develop mold or rot. I'm very impressed with this strain's resistence, more so thinking how resinous she was. I think this is proven to be a great cross for outdoors, even guerrilla style growing.
Smell at harvest was a mix of hash'n'roses:) Not strong but a full rounded smell, suggesting the smoke will be thick and potent. Similar to an excellent hash I once tried(from Afghanistan via Amsterdam) but more complex, makes you want to smoke it right away. Can't wait!

Cognition was also harvested, she should take some more time(sun) to finish properly but as I mentioned the forecast was quite generous with cloud cover and high humidity, there would be very little benefit and high risk of developing some disease. There were a couple of fan leaves with powdery mildew developing and since I could come again in a week, the risk was too high to take.
The buds turned dark purple inside, I believe it's from NepalHighland influence, might also be CongoPN's adaptation to cold. I don't know but like the visual part very much.
Smell is very refreshing, buds have a very low smell even when trimming but resin is pungent lemony spicy, reminds me of last year Thai plant. Makes you feel the summer vibes.

I feel Cognition will be the day smoke and ZamalHash more of an evening-night smoke:)

Both clones are starting to shoot new growth, new Zamal Hash leaves are now 5 speared.

Meanwhile the two mix seeds died in the soil just before coming out of the ground(soil might be infected with something), so I put to soak two regular Kali Chinas, two Hy-Pro Amnesias(fem) and a cracked fem seed of KonaSunset x H-P Amnesia I had laying around.
Hopefully something will come out, I'd like to have a KaliChina to sample.

Of course I took some outdoor pictures before harvest, will post them in a few days.

Cheers

Koondense

Veteran
Both Kali China seeds popped in 30 hours and are now in fresh soil. Same goes for the two HyPro Amnesias. Nothing happened with the cracked seed, it's probably dead.

Tomorrow I'll post some pictures of both outdoor plants, meanwhile the tent is healthy and happy.
Still under 100W cfls, but very soon new lights are coming.

Koondense

Veteran
Zamal Hashplant, two minutes before harvest

picture.php

picture.php

Cognition, right before chop - it's a pity she didn't finish properly, look at all those white stigmas, new bud growth just started last week. Sorry I couldn't let her go some more time, now weather forecast is total shit so it was a good decision after all.

picture.php

Inside the tent, ZH from seed is gaining growing momentum and looks in perfect shape.
This morning still no new seeds braking ground, expecting them to come out soon.
I'm bending the ZamalHash clone's top growth to keep it as open as possible without too much stress, same goes for the Cognition clone.
Not sure if I should let the ZH from seed grow in its natural shape or should I start bending it for more open canopy. Still got much time to do it.

picture.php

B

Baron Greenback

Lovely outdoor zh, lovely colours, the cold really brings them out.
How are you enjoying indoor growing? In spite of your trials and tribulations, the healthy ones look great.
You'll like the Kali China too, nice to grow indoors, vigourous, responds well to training and so on.
I need more Ace seeds too, I have been the angel of death with my seedlings - Green Haze, dead; Bangi Haze, dead and for the first time ever, one seed that just didn't germinate - fear me seedlings, for I am become death :)

Koondense

Veteran
Thanks BaronGreenback,
my confidence for indoor is now boosted with the new sprouts throwing out very healthy roots in little time. I'm sorry for the ZH seed that died, but have plenty others to replace it. A bit of gambling with plant sex(reg seeds) but I take all of this as a good process for gaining indoor experience.
A part of me is hoping for a nice KC male to throw just a bit of pollen on my girly and produce some interesting hybrid seeds. The other part is angry because the schedule I had in mind will not be followed and it will be a more improvised grow, which in reality is totally fine. A relaxed grower is a necessary part of a successful grow:)

Sorry for your deadly skills with seeds, try soaking them in clean water(pre boiled), maybe you have a problem with soil. I change it as soon something seems wrong.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Congrats Koondense :)

I'm glad that Zamal Hash did a good job in your garden!
Hash and roses :ymmy: Sounds delicious!

The Congnition looks great too, great job.

Please, let us know your opinion after a bit of drying and curing.

Wish you also have a succesful Kali China grow, it's overall a very easy strain to grow.

Thanks for your updates and hope you enjoy with the harvest in the autumn/winter days.

Koondense

Veteran
Thanks Dubi,
I'll surely do a smoke report of the outdoor ladies.

Meanwhile one KaliChina and one Amnesia are already above the soil!
Exciting times:)

Koondense

Veteran
Today I'm testing my new lights I built yesterday:)

Now there are 5x25W cfls 6500K with 3x25W cobs(3x CXB3590 3000K, driver dimmed to 700mA) and the light color and intensity looks bomb for vegetative growth, I really like the combined spectrum.

Temperatures vary depending on cob wattage, usual temperature(humidity) @cob75W is 27°C(63%) and @cob150W around 29-30°C(55-58%).
These values are for the tent with passive air flow(no extraction vents mounted) with one opened outtake hole on top and a minimal intake opening on the side.
Still deciding which fan to get for extraction.

I also pruned a bit the plants, just slightly the Zamal Hash and more the Cognition which was very bushy. Next week the clones will be transplanted in bigger pots with organic soil mix, probably 18L pots, Zamal Hash from seed will go in a 11L pot.

The late popped seeds are now healthy sprouts showing their first set of leaves, both Kali Chinas and Amnesias look perfect.

Cheers

Koondense

Veteran
Meanwhile outside temperatures and humidity dropped significantly so now I have more moderate temps around 23-26°C but too low rel.humidity with lights on(40-45%) and with lights off around 75-80% which is good.
Just put in a bucket of warm water to bring the rh up a bit.

ZH from seed shows droopy leaves in sync with dropping rh during the day, seems it doesn't like it below 50%. ZH clone has much less trouble with it but some signs can be percieved.
I was thinking overwatering was the issue but the correlation with humidity seems too obvious.

A question:
When is a good time for transplanting ZH in a bigger pot? I was thinking of 11L pot for the seedling and 18L for the clones which will be rootbound soon.
The KaliChinas and Amnesias will go in 6L.

MadMac

far beyond driven...
high,
well i do 30-45 days veg in 6l than before flower in 20l smart pots... works fine so far...
for humidity i would use a towel... hang it up on a coat hanger and put the end in bucket with water... if you have a small vent use it... you will see the water climbs up the towel and keeps it wet... with small vent you keep the air moving and absorb the water...
great grow... wish u all the best!
M.:tiphat:

Koondense

Veteran
High MadMac,
thanks for the tips, the humidity trick is simple and effective but I seem to manage humidity well with only water in a small bucket. Levels RH at 60+%.
Now temperatures are a bit lower and it's easier to control everything in the tent(still no extraction vent!)

Today I transplanted the three plants and it became obvious what was the problem with the small ZH. The soil was too wet because of poor drainage of the pot.
I feel the transplant will stun them a bit because all were pretty rootbound and I had to loose the roots, taking off small parts of them. It's a regular practice when I'm doing it outdoors(except autoflowers) so I expect a quick recovery. Maybe the soil temp at transplant was too low(had the soil mix outside) and it could need some time to adapt to indoor temperature, hopefully not damaging the plants. I applied some mycos for a quicker transition to a bigger pot.

Soil mix is made of - approximate values
BioBizz AllMix - 40%
Coco - 30%
Perlite - 20%
WormCastings - 17%
Plagron BioSupermix - 3%

Sizes of pots
18L - Zamal Hash clone, Cognition clone
11L - Zamal Hash from seed

Still thinking which size for the young ones, probably 6L as they will soon be flipped to 12/12.

I noticed both Zamal Hash plants have very strong roots, also found on the mother from outdoors.
New pics are coming in some days.

Cheers

Koondense

Veteran
A quick look in the tent reveals the beautiful plants, at least they look this way to me. I'm biased of course:)

picture.php

Koondense

Veteran
First december update,
still training the Zamal Hash clone and opening the canopy, Cognition got a tiny haircut and is now ready to grow up. ZH from seed is fattening the stem very quickly, has already bigger leaves compared to the clone plant. It's too early to tell, but I sense the clone has more HP dominance and the seed is closer to 50/50 with Zamal.
Kali Chinas are still small but getting transplanted in few days, the two plants have already some differences(stem color, leaf detail, internode length), of course could be male and female, or same sex. Time will tell.

Zamal Hash clone under 50W cob led
(actually it's dimmed to 25W in this photo)
picture.php

Wondering when to flip.

Cheers

jay sus

i have 2 ZHs. i think taller with medium branching is more HP dom,and shorter with huge branching is zamal dom. both very mouth watering. kali china is robust,compact, with huge fat leaves.. both strains seem to stretch some after flip, ZH more. best of luck

Koondense

Veteran
A note on how things are going.

Two days ago the young seedlings got transplanted in modest 2,5L pots with a lighter mix compared to the big girls. Instead of AllMix I put the LightMix and added a bit more of Plagron Supermix. Considering the very short veg time they'll have I decided to try them with adding more worm castings tea and liquid organic nutrients when necessary. The small plants will be a kind of experiment.

Meanwhile the older girls are growing fast.
I'm used to see my plants outdoor every week or two and now I can observe daily changes, which are not so apparent and dramatic as outdoors. So with a little help of taking photos the changes can be followed and observed with more precision.

Both clones are now nicely shaped and will soon start shooting towards the sky.
Zamal Hash from seed is looking very vigorous and is putting out almost horizontal branches.
She is now 4 weeks old and liking the 11L pot and soil mix.

Zamal Hash from seed - 29 days
picture.php

I cut the two lowest pairs of branches, could leave one and take it now as a clone.
Still not sure if topping her would be good, the main growth is so lovely and healthy it would be a shame to take it away.

The two clones were pruned a little bit for the third time now, Cognition grows wildly with new growth everywhere, will be exciting to watch the stretch.

A look inside the tent
picture.php

I installed a large PC vent for extraction, getting a proper carbon filter and extraction soon.
Also another three led units are still waiting to be started at the flip to flowering.

When should I flip? I'm thinking next week.

Cheers

MadMac

far beyond driven...
high koondense;
When should I flip? I'm thinking next week.
the bigger plant's looking all fine to switch now...
all plant's looking healthy and nice developed so do it ;-)
all the best M.:tiphat:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for the update Koodense,

Wish you are enjoying the outcome of your previous outdoor Zamal Hash harvest.
Best wishes for the new Zamal Hash indoor grow! :)

Latest posts

Latest posts