What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bitcoin cracks US$100

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
I think it is just as specious as any fiat currency. There is no unit of underlying economic value you can readily exchange it for that is any different than the currencies that are used to convert it. I have found the fees and costs associated with the transaction to be extremely high and I am only using it to fund purchases at the Silk Road Marketplace. Anything else seems like a risk I shouldn't take unless I can figure a way to time the market. If you have something on that I would be all ears. I looked at bitcoins on March 12th and the price was around $74, so if I had purchased then and exited now that would have been nice, but the bigger gain was last week when it shot up suddenly to almost a hundred bucks. If there was a way to play this market I would do that instead of consulting. I'm serious. I might - might being the operative word - make $150K consulting this year. I could just as easily make only $35K; the Obama economy has been utterly disastrous for me and for commercial real estate finance in general and the repercussions are only now being perceived.

Did you know that before the Great Obama Recession that the income gap between the Top 1% Households and the Average Household Below The Poverty Line was around $106 to $1.00.

Wanna take a shot at what it is today? I mean, after all, Obama is a Democrat and Democrats always tell us they look out for the poor and not the wealthy 1% assholes, right? How many times did we hear that bullshit when the dumbass kids were jammed up in that park in New York telling us they were tired of the 1% and wanted more Obama and the 99%ers?

The gap now is $288 to $1.00. The rich got richer in the Great Recession at the direct cost (in this singular case - economics is not a zero-sum game in most cases) and expense of the middle-class and the poor due to the policies enacted. Come home to the Republicans, peeps. We want you and we aren't going to fuck you to get it.

Oops, jacked the thread....

Having said all of that, if I could play this market I would take the MPDland Treasury and do just that. Who knows, in a couple of years I could retire if I was smart enough to figure out the ins and outs of bitcoins like PhenoMenal.

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
bitcoins sound more like a scam every day.

It's a decentralized cryptographic currency ... Bitcoin, like all currencies, goes up and down in value, but to call a currency a "scam" ...? Take some quality time to properly read about it to learn what it really is, rather than what it 'sounds like'. :)

Unlike any other currency out there it's making a lot of people a lot of money-for-nothing, and fast... and that's despite all the economic crises and downturns and fiscal cliffs etc etc that have affected national currencies such as the US, Cyprus etc :)

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Dreams, yep... to put it in perspective:
$1000 worth of BCs @ $13 in January = 76.92 BCs
... three months later now at April 1st, no fools day here though ...
76.92 BCs @ $105 = $8076

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
It's a decentralized cryptographic currency ... Bitcoin, like all currencies, goes up and down in value, but to call a currency a "scam" ...? Take some quality time to properly read about it to learn what it really is, rather than what it 'sounds like'. :)

Unlike any other currency out there it's making a lot of people a lot of money-for-nothing, and fast... and that's despite all the economic crises and downturns and fiscal cliffs etc etc that have affected national currencies such as the US, Cyprus etc :)

I'm sorry, but I must have had my head up my ass when I posted in this thread originally. My apologies to PhenoMenal and everyone else who took offense.

Peace.

Last edited:

igrowone

Veteran
kind of interesting to put it mildly
it comes down to what is money? it has to be limited and strong confidence it will retain or increase in value
the temptation to increase these coins will be very strong, maybe not bitcoins per se, but some other similar product
which will probably be when the dilution of value will start

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
mpd, all I'm doing is giving a heads-up to fellow icmag'ers, I leave it up to them to make what they will of it. See PM please!:)

Last edited:

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
igrowone,
the temptation to increase these coins will be very strong, maybe not bitcoins per se, but some other similar product
There's at least half a dozen or so similar "cybercurrencies" but I guess it's tricky for most of them to get their foot off the ground ..... but once they do we end up with something like Bitcoin which is easily the #1 cybercurrency

The US govt very recently suggested trying to regulate Bitcoin, in regards to preventing money laundering:
http://www.geekosystem.com/bitcoin-laundering-rules/
that could be tricky though, due to the decentralized (no Govt or Company controls Bitcoin), and the cryptographic nature of the currency

One thing is for sure though ... interesting times ahead!!!

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

is that to say even though I'm a professional chef I can never use the term 'it sounds like' before I render a comment on an idea put forth to me in regards to perhaps a method somebody used but wasn't happy with or do I need to go out and attempt to fail the same way first?

please don't mistake your take on my selection of words assume I've only just now read about bitcoin, I believe them to be a scam. Bitcoin isn't stable, and right now it's behaving like early 90s Microsoft stock without a fucking thing to back it.

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
is that to say even though I'm a professional chef I can never use the term 'it sounds like' before I render a comment on an idea put forth to me in regards to perhaps a method somebody used but wasn't happy with or do I need to go out and attempt to fail the same way first?

please don't mistake your take on my selection of words assume I've only just now read about bitcoin, I believe them to be a scam. Bitcoin isn't stable, and right now it's behaving like early 90s Microsoft stock without a fucking thing to back it.

QFT

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran

You're perfectly correct that Bitcoin is not exactly "stable" -- you only need to look at the very first Market Data link I linked in this thread. :)
... yet that's one reason why so many people have made so much easy money so fast :)

But making money from any currency is part gamble, part analysis, so it then comes down to the technicalities of the currency at smaller levels, and its reception from buyers/sellers/punters ...

Stoner, the only thing I disagree with you is the word "scam" in regards to Bitcoin (well, any _properly established_ "OPEN" currency really), that's all :)
By "open currency", the source code, the 'blockchain' containing every transaction, and everything pertaining to the currency are available to the public. Banks aren't this open, but the protocol of Bitcoin allows and requires it to be open.
The value of Cyprus currency isnt worth much at the moment, but it still has worth, is legitimate, is not a scam, but is going down the sink quickly ... no doubt most people in Cyprus will be wishing their money had the strength of Bitcoin :)

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
When something rises in value, there will be speculator willing to buy in. The second it starts to fall, that will change. With nothing to back it other than new buyers, that fall will be spectacular. Can you short bitcoins?

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
GMT: the thing is it's also relatively early days ... most ppl havent even heard of Bitcoin or Silk Road etc, yet clearly it's gaining every day in popularity

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The cash my buddy made, if a scam, was quite spendable. Peace GS

problem here is that anything bitcoin can buy, I can live without.

btw, if it rises that fast it can fall just as quickly (FACT!) and your dollars worth of bitcoin today might be worth all of 4 cents tomorrow.

here's a quote from Wiki:

Currently, 25 new bitcoins are generated with every 10-minute block. This will be halved to 12.5 BTC during the year 2017 and halved continuously every 4 years after until a hard limit of 21 million bitcoins is reached during the year 2140.

25 new bitcoins every 10 minutes and unless they're giving them away only one entity is getting ridiculously fucking filthy rich from this scam. let's see 25 x $104 = $2600; Satoshi Nakamoto is making out like a bandit.

if the price of a bitcoin remains stable for 24 hours Satoshi Nakamoto will make $375,000, and he will make that amount every single 24 hour period bitcoins remain @ $104.

it's good to be the king.