What's new

Mixing grow medium with Cement Mixer--more affordable than orginally contemplated

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Background: I have been mixing my custom grow medium since day one (never went down bagged potting soil route) and for the past decade or so I mixed my grow medium in manageable 13 gallon batches (10 gallons of reclaimed + 3 gallons of new stuff), all by hand (no kiddie pool here, rather I mixed inside the trashcan with the aid of a floor scrapper...like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000224PU/ref=asc_df_B0000224PU5084160/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B0000224PU&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167133658256&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6504294325981473577&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9060064&hvtargid=pla-316284993835). Thrust floor scrapper inside the trashcan, turn soil, thrust, turn, thrust, turn--transfer to another trashcan, thrust, turn, thrust, turn, thrust, turn--transfer back to trashcan, thrust, turn, thrust, turn, thrust, turn...phew, finished. Smoke & beer break, then repeat.

The old mixing process took 2 days to complete--1st day the dry ingredients are mixed then moistened overnight, the 2nd day the moistened grow medium is mixed again then packed in 20 gallon Brute trashcans (3 batches will fit into 2 20 gallon trashcans nicely). Once the targeted pH is achieved (7-10 days later) the grow medium is ready for use.

A lot of work, but when one has more "time than money", then you do what you gotta do. About 2 years ago I upped my game and nearly doubled my production--but never changed the way I mixed my grow medium...until last week.

I investigated and evaluated various cement mixers and selected this 5 cuft mixer capable of mixing up to 2.5 cuft (about 16 gallons). I got mine through Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I9801MG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and paid $260 (includes sales tax + shipping). (Small complaint--the hardware bag inside the shipping box ripped a bit causing 3 washers and 1 nut to go missing, had spares in my shop--no worries.)

61VP%2B4BTwUL._SX425_.jpg

It now takes me about 20 minutes to mix and no backbreaking work...lol, not even a bead of sweat on the brow. Some cement mixers have hand cranks to tilt the barrel (bigger footprint) and more moving parts, whereas this one the motor is a direct drive (no fan belt), rotates a steady eddy 23 RPM (not the faster 30+ others operate at) and capable of handling 270 pounds (more than enough to handle for 2.5 cuft of soil). The handle allows for easy tilting and stores rather compactly.

Operation tips:

1. Load half the reclaimed soil (5 gallons) then add new stuff (3 gallons) and dry nutrients/liming agents/fertility. Mix for 5 minutes.
2. Load remaining reclaimed soil (5 gallons) and mix another 5 minutes or so.
3. Add liquid (between 64-96 ounces...depending on reclaimed soil moisture content) and mix for 10 minutes or so.
4. Dump mixed grow medium into 20 gallon trashcan and wait 7-10 days for targeted pH before using.

Should I no longer need this mixer, I can Craigslist it for $150, which means my true cost of about $100. Hmmm, assuming it took me 1 hour (start to finish) to make each batch the old way...whereas now it takes about 20 minutes (let's make it 30 minutes to be safe)...then that is a 30 minute savings per batch--times the number of batches per year.

Damn Sam! This makes this mixer the best $100 appliance in my garden!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Awesome, thanks so much for sharing this. Even at twice the price it would be worth it for those of us with back issues. :D

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
lol, Doug, I should have mentioned that I am an old fucker and the reason for making 13 gallon batches is weight. I can easily muscle about 13 gallons of moistened soil--but when we are talking about moving a 20 gallon trashcan of moistened soil...gotta have one of these, a 5 caster trashcan dolly--
2781-01.jpg

Best $25 investment I have ever made. The trashcan bottom screws into 5 wheel dolly, making it easy to move about and even step over door thresholds or step down into my garage (where the transplanting station is).

Let's just say, I made 6 batches of soil within 3 hours (including setup, breakdown and 3 B&B breaks (beer & bong) and for first time I had zero back issues. Imagine that 3 hours of mixing soil (instead of 6) and no sweat....no back pain.