What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

There's a lot of 'marketing' in the world of marijuana seeds, eh?

Grey_Wolf

Heres a little recent story regarding Hype and Bullshit from the Greenhouse Seed Company
I along with a whole heap of others were sent the Brand new "ultra cool" "crap of the week" whatever you wanna call it Wonder Pie seeds to grow for a competition.
Shortly after I flipped to 12/12 all of my Wonder pies turned Hermie No stress No light leaks
as I had other varities happily flowering in the same tent.
Greenhouse Seeds response was "thats really unsual and the 1st time we have ever heard of our stuff going hermie" but because the seeds were free you can basically get stuffed
Anyway I moved on to new grows but guess what ..... There are now three more growers
who have also been growing the wonder pie strain for the same comp and as soon as they tried to begin flowering ...... hermies Not just a few nanas either I'm talking Thai Lady boys with big hairy ones!! So Morale of this story is Believe what these Master breeders/Seedbanks tell you with a grain of salt as at the end of the day they just want ya $$ and are mostly full of Shit and have very good imaginations Lol

need4weed

Veteran
It’s simple it also then throws superior offspring. The cycle gets repeated every 30 years. Sections from 2010-20 are probably way better then everything since the late 80s. The game has changed in terms of both methods of seed production and growing and your average seed nowadays is probably way better then your average skunk cross was in the 90s

Chem is the definition of bag seed hype. Shit ain’t even sexually stable but everyone still thinks 3 bag seeds where the best ever.

The proof is in the pudding. I've sold countless strains and when I sold a batch of skunk VA chem 91 it is the only time I have ever been asked if I can get the cut

need4weed

Veteran
Yes, the high priced US market in particular has taken hype & branding to a whole new level. There's too many breeders to try, so the newer commercial ventures want their share. And if the genetics don't stand out, the advertising has to.

My rule is a hybrid with less than a paragraph or twos description, no mention of the type of effect, or sold by a cartoon image, isn't worth investing in. If a strain don't sell, it's dropped, like the end of the fashion season, and there's probably some lesser known gems that don't stick around for long.

Sadly, smoke reports seem to have fallen out of favour too. Just grow diaries with no mention of rare qualities, or smoke reports on store bought bud. Thought of a design for a new reports site, might be useful.

Totally agree with this statement. We smoke purely for the effect, everything else like taste and terms is an added bonus. Sadly, everything nowadays is based on visual appeal

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
We should go back to a basic rating system like we used here we used the simple Good/Okay/Shit because growing cannabis is all about the smoke quality and duration of the affect.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
:bigeye: The flashy ad pics that light em up remind me of the neon lights in Amsterdam.

CaptainDankness

It’s simple it also then throws superior offspring. The cycle gets repeated every 30 years. Sections from 2010-20 are probably way better then everything since the late 80s. The game has changed in terms of both methods of seed production and growing and your average seed nowadays is probably way better then your average skunk cross was in the 90s

Chem is the definition of bag seed hype. Shit ain’t even sexually stable but everyone still thinks 3 bag seeds where the best ever.
Depends on how well a breeder does, but we definitely have better weed today than back when Skunk was winning all the cups. Now I'm sure Skunk is in most of the best cup winners today, but it's definitely better than the Skunk#1 from the 80's.

Really you breed the stinkiest weed year after year for 40 years someone is bound to get it right and create something better than Sam The Skunkman can even dream. Otherwise you'd still have Skunk#1 as a contender in the cups.

Some breeders will do bad and bring us back, but the best will bring it forward. Like Mr. Nice is great for old school genetics, solid good bud all around, but if you want the stinkiest funkiest dank around you're not going to find it in the old school genetics. I also really don't like Haze, I've grown it off and on for 10 years and it just takes too long to flower and I like Skunks better every damn time!! Lol

CaptainDankness

Id like to know some more about this GG4 drama. Where ??

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65817

This is probably a good spot to start searching. Lol, I don't give a fuck about the drama myself, I'd rather smoke it.

Definitely going to be better off with the cut obviously, the seed versions are never going to be the same, though better is possible and only through seed. I'm just trying to cross in some old school genetics to increase yield, shorten flower time and maintain dankness and introduce some males.

G

how many people list sour diesel as their top strain compared to jungle cake or banana sherbert

in the early days of chem there was no internet hyping, the weed had to walk the walk especially in NY
Id like to if I could just lay my hands on a cut of Chaco's.

mexweed

Veteran
people don't grow the right Mr Nice stuff if they're going for stink they always go to his gear for the 'real' super silver haze etc

what about the diarrhea pheno of his shit strain, I have read about burnt rubber lemon pinesol phenos in some of his afghan skunks and the master kush skunk

Cannabologist

Veteran
Ahhh cookies and Original Glue. The most hyped, hyped strains ever.

I don't even bother smoking other people's weed. Why would I want to smoke anything not as good?

The major breeders out there got all the labs, all the space, all the rooms, all the access to strains, all the money, are super mega millionaires, and all the marketing capacity... But they can't produce good weed worth a damn.

It looks pretty. It seems chunky and gooey. Its all tastes the same 3 flavors and A. It doesn't get me high and B. if it does get me a little high I certainly don't stay high.

People are more concerned with what color nugs are than does it actually do what you want weed to do? Who cares if the weed is OMG, magenta. LOL ok so you got some red weed. Wow. Double wow.

I hear about people smoking a half ounce or more a day. Especially cali smokers. Yeh, I did that too, when I smoked mexican brick... Because I HAD to.

People smoking weed in the last 5+++ years don't even know what good weed is. Every once in awhile I dip my toes into other waters and I'm always delighted; nothing is still as good, in spite of all the testing, all the labs, all the facilities, and legalization.

:party:

tcherno

View Image

Why buy your gf a ring when you can give her these. Lol

On the most popular forum in France there are a lot of hype fans, the guys are convinced to have the top of the world cannabis with Afficionnad$ I'm ashamed of my fellow citizens sometimes

Having said that, I have the feeling that old NLD BLD strains are popular at the moment, of course hybrids are still popular, but the hype is more and more present on landrace or inheritance strains.
This will give very good things in the future.

rolandomota

Veteran
Funny thing is the last Mex brick I bought was better than all the stuff I grew the cure made a small amount just as good or slightly better but most were inferior by far....my connection dried up after 3 years it will be back trust me.

If not it's time to bust out those beans I been collecting I'm growing some now actually. I started a thread with a pic of the brick but meh who cares right?

Now they want to give 3 for 1k lol right fucking middle men the real deal us 10 for 1k then it's 5 for 1k from the first middle man and my ass and my buddy get 3 for 1k total bullshit that 1p isn't available ....."blah blah blah shut up with the brick" I can almost hear you guys

CaptainDankness

people don't grow the right Mr Nice stuff if they're going for stink they always go to his gear for the 'real' super silver haze etc

what about the diarrhea pheno of his shit strain, I have read about burnt rubber lemon pinesol phenos in some of his afghan skunks and the master kush skunk

Critical Mass has always been one of my favorites, just so fast with a great yield and pretty good potency. That line definitely needs to get worked into some of these new funky smelling strains. Critical Gorrila would be sick, you'd have to call it Rampage cause it's going to be a giant, you pick the right keeper it will be a superior plant for sure.

I love the flavor of GG#4, but the buds on a good Critical Mass pheno can't be beat, even the crosses are pretty nice, basically why Shanti has so many crosses with it, even a CBD version, he's just missing out on the West coast flavors really.

J-Icky

Well with legalization and normalization we all should have known marketing would become a huge driving force of the market. Look at almost everything in today’s world. Nothing anymore is about quality, it’s about hype and following the leader. Get an influencer to hype your product and all their idiot puppets will gobble it up.

There’s a reason everything these days is cookies, cakes, candy or ice cream. It’s to sell it to the idiot, follower youths. The same ones that hype up these cool new seltzer drinks and if it ain’t “the claw” then it’s crap even if there are other brands that taste better.

Del_9_THC

Hahaha....the title of this thread should be "Are bears Catholic?" Or "Does the Pope shit in the woods"?

Seed companies have been hyping seeds since they started selling them. Similarly, the bullshit about most strains is enormous. People can be quite gullible and hucksters know how to exploit them and very often do.

Caveat emptor is a good motto for a reason!

CaptainDankness

Hahaha....the title of this thread should be "Are bears Catholic?" Or "Does the Pope shit in the woods"?

Seed companies have been hyping seeds since they started selling them. Similarly, the bullshit about most strains is enormous. People can be quite gullible and hucksters know how to exploit them and very often do.

Caveat emptor is a good motto for a reason!
For real, started with the seed industry by the original King Of Cannabis Nevil!! G13 was obviously all marketing, then the Haze Brothers didn't even exist just some good sativa weed from south of the border, but Sam The Skunkman has interesting stories. Northern Lights has a bit of mythology too. Skunk#1 even has a lot of hype.

I've actually heard a lot of other breeders had great weed in Amsterdam in the 80's, but Nevil was just that popular with Hightimes and shit. Honestly I don't think you can even go wrong with KC Brains stock, still haven't tried it personally but a lot of people like his work and the pictures look nice.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I've actually heard a lot of other breeders had great weed in Amsterdam in the 80's, but Nevil was just that popular with Hightimes and shit. Honestly I don't think you can even go wrong with KC Brains stock, still haven't tried it personally but a lot of people like his work and the pictures look nice.

K.C. sent me some pics -

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

rolandomota

Veteran
Lol I asked him kcb when he's going to use new stuff to cross with his old stuff on Instagram he blocked me so I guess never what a cool guy ha ha
I said it because others use his strains to make hybrids that seem a lot more popular than his seeds and sell for way more $
I guess he's just..... a bit strange

Latest posts

Latest posts