What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage Mexican, Seed germination and Micro propagation techniques.

Mystic Funk

Great work! Any updates on this project?

yes sir!:biggrin:
i made 1000's of fresh f1 seeds with the original seeds i got to sprout and i'm working on testing those now to see how i did.
ill getting some pictures of them up here.
i'd also like to crack some more of the original vintage seed stock and explore them a little more because i know there are some lost genetics in there, but i've been a little tied up making more Oaxacan gold and Highland Guerrero seeds.
i'll be popping the original vintage stock with some new germination methods i've learned in the past year. so stay tuned!

peace!
-mystic:tiphat:

ahortator

Veteran
yes sir!:biggrin:
i made 1000's of fresh f1 seeds with the original seeds i got to sprout and i'm working on testing those now to see how i did.
ill getting some pictures of them up here.
i'd also like to crack some more of the original vintage seed stock and explore them a little more because i know there are some lost genetics in there, but i've been a little tied up making more Oaxacan gold and Highland Guerrero seeds.
i'll be popping the original vintage stock with some new germination methods i've learned in the past year. so stay tuned!

peace!
-mystic:tiphat:

I am anxious waiting for those new methods! :):tiphat:

M

moose eater

Heya! I've read the first couple pages, and a page or so near the end. I'll fill in the middle shortly, I hope.

I have some heirloom landrace seeds dated from 35 years to almost 50 years old (red/orange Thai from the early 80s, Acapulco Gold & Columbian Gold from the 70s, some 20-30 year old ruderalis-sative crosses from South Central Alaska, some old-school Kush, etc.)

A number of years ago I'd tried lightly sanding the ribs on some with fine grit sand paper or emery cloth, soaking over-night in 1 cup of water with one drop of bleach, then rinsing and placing in a baggie on paper towels, and so forth.

The seeds have been stored in a variety of circumstances, but for the past many years, in bags/canisters at room temperature, ranging from 70 degrees f. to lower 80s f.

Years ago I received some unsorted bag seed from a fellow on the South Central Coast of Alaska who'd been a Merchant Marine over the decades, and got a wide variety of them to pop, including a couple that distinctly reminded me of the foot-long Oaxacan 'horse-tail' buds we got 1/4-lbs and lbs of in the mid-70s; long, wispy, feathery, like peacock feathers, or a trimmed and braided horse tail/mane. The two plants looked identical; one you could smoke all day, and get little more than a headache. The other, the first time I sampled a bud (1995-1996?), I took a couple or three puffs, and promptly caught a 2-1/2 hour nap. I was skeptical that this was the plant's doing, so I took another couple or three puffs after re-awakening, and the same outcome occurred. Upon the third 'experiment' that afternoon/evening creating the same outcome, I was pretty sure it was the plant.

Not exactly the stereo-typical psychedelic sativa high (and they were definitely long-narrow-leafed sativas), but definitely stout in potency. The less-than-useful plant (dubbed 'sativa sister dull') quickly met her end, for obvious reasons.

Her sister ('sativa sister vibrant') lived healthy, wealthy, and wise, very easily cloned, until we relocated and built our home. I still have the canister those particular seeds came from as well, though based on my experience a bit over 20 years ago (21-22) there's a LOT of variety in that canister. It might take a bunch of testing (if still fertile) to come up with anything close to her, if there's any remaining at all.

But if I can hatch some of these old classics, and gain some true heirlooms from them, I'd be thrilled.

Thanks for the thread!

Mystic Funk

I am anxious waiting for those new methods! :):tiphat:

i'll get going with them as soon as i can,:) i'm just tied up with some other hybrids now.

i popped some of the vintage mexican F1 seeds i made to tests them out to see how i did and their doing well and look good so i'll get some pics up soon.

peace!
-mystic

Mystic Funk

Heya! I've read the first couple pages, and a page or so near the end. I'll fill in the middle shortly, I hope.

I have some heirloom landrace seeds dated from 35 years to almost 50 years old (red/orange Thai from the early 80s, Acapulco Gold & Columbian Gold from the 70s, some 20-30 year old ruderalis-sative crosses from South Central Alaska, some old-school Kush, etc.)

A number of years ago I'd tried lightly sanding the ribs on some with fine grit sand paper or emery cloth, soaking over-night in 1 cup of water with one drop of bleach, then rinsing and placing in a baggie on paper towels, and so forth.

The seeds have been stored in a variety of circumstances, but for the past many years, in bags/canisters at room temperature, ranging from 70 degrees f. to lower 80s f.

Years ago I received some unsorted bag seed from a fellow on the South Central Coast of Alaska who'd been a Merchant Marine over the decades, and got a wide variety of them to pop, including a couple that distinctly reminded me of the foot-long Oaxacan 'horse-tail' buds we got 1/4-lbs and lbs of in the mid-70s; long, wispy, feathery, like peacock feathers, or a trimmed and braided horse tail/mane. The two plants looked identical; one you could smoke all day, and get little more than a headache. The other, the first time I sampled a bud (1995-1996?), I took a couple or three puffs, and promptly caught a 2-1/2 hour nap. I was skeptical that this was the plant's doing, so I took another couple or three puffs after re-awakening, and the same outcome occurred. Upon the third 'experiment' that afternoon/evening creating the same outcome, I was pretty sure it was the plant.

Not exactly the stereo-typical psychedelic sativa high (and they were definitely long-narrow-leafed sativas), but definitely stout in potency. The less-than-useful plant (dubbed 'sativa sister dull') quickly met her end, for obvious reasons.

Her sister ('sativa sister vibrant') lived healthy, wealthy, and wise, very easily cloned, until we relocated and built our home. I still have the canister those particular seeds came from as well, though based on my experience a bit over 20 years ago (21-22) there's a LOT of variety in that canister. It might take a bunch of testing (if still fertile) to come up with anything close to her, if there's any remaining at all.

But if I can hatch some of these old classics, and gain some true heirlooms from them, I'd be thrilled.

Thanks for the thread!

hey moose eater!
that's very cool you got so many types of old seeds like that.
i have a friend that's a expert with south American varieties and he talks about how old Colombian lines can have a stoney effect like what you talk about.
dark Colombians like reds and Colombian black have the most narcotic effect and some will give you a light LSD like trip if your lucky.
also some will grow very wispy like the grinspoon strain.

peace!
-mystic

M

moose eater

To accurize my earlier estimation of their vintage, they're between 34 and 45 years old, respectively.

I personally remember the lbs. of the red Thai; it had a very unique smell for its time period.

The Colombian Gold we got in the mid-70s had a decent-size pin joint do 5-6 people (experienced younger smokers) quite well; very stony stuff, though I can't attest to the origins of the Colombian seeds as they came from others.

The Acapulco Gold I recall from the earlier 70s was truly a gold in color (likely due to curing technique, perhaps dried on the plant), and had a hash-like taste.

We'll see what happens, as I stated earlier, the last time I tried to 'hatch' any of these, the best I got was a cracking of the seed's ridge, and the showing of a tail.

I found a source for Gibberellic acid on-line for what seems like reasonable $$$, and will get on that when the other dozen projects take a back seat. Right now I'm swamped with Fall projects, rushing to get stuff done before winter, and making acceptable but slower progress.

They've waited 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 decades, so I suspect they can wait another month or two.

We'll see what transpires. I'll let you know if they wake up one morning, looking bright eyed and bushy stemmed. :biggrin:

hey moose eater!
that's very cool you got so many types of old seeds like that.
i have a friend that's a expert with south American varieties and he talks about how old Colombian lines can have a stoney effect like what you talk about.
dark Colombians like reds and Colombian black have the most narcotic effect and some will give you a light LSD like trip if your lucky.
also some will grow very wispy like the grinspoon strain.

peace!
-mystic

M

moose eater

Hey, Mystic. Just finished re-reading the thread.

Fall being what it is in the North, I'm only now sending away for the GA-3. Seemed the least difficult chore I could get done this morning, and still feel like I'd made some progress. :biggrin:

Having read your reviews, I'm skeptical about the GA-3's functionality for the seeds I listed earlier, though getting them to sprout, even if leggy, would be an improvement from efforts years ago.

Unfortunately, in re. to the seriously sought after (the red Thai, Acapulco Gold, Columbian Gold, etc.) I don't have gobs. I'd have to go dig them out to do an accurate inventory on them..

I have far more seeds in the 'grab-bag' canister a fellow gave me over 20 years ago, on the South Central Coast up here, from which the two likely-Mexican/Oaxacan sativas ('Sativa Sister Vibrant' and 'Sativa Sister Dull,' w/ long narrow leaves, somewhat resembling the pics of buds posted by Yesum, and looking very similar to the long, wispy Oaxacan ft.-long tops we got qp's of in the mid-70s, that were way more noteworthy than the respectable brick weed we got back then).

But finding THAT group of seeds in a grab-bag canister will take a lot of patience, etc., so we'll see.

I'm more inclined to go with the known commodities (Thai, AG, CG, etc.) and try to save space and time, while also acknowledging there's not many of them, and they're significantly older.

All of that said, and lacking a worm bin, I'm considering the 100 ppm soak in GA-3, followed by planting directly into a Pro-Mix & Perlite, with a mild amount of good quality worm castings, very light dolomite, (like <1 TBSP per gallon), and maybe a slight dose of a root enhancer, either Greenlight, or ????, with 5 drops or so of Super-Thrive B-1.

Thoughts? Advice? Places to order other amendments or enzymes for this?

If I screw up, and it's the last of the last (having gifted seeds to others to the point that mine are now limited), then the 'path in this endeavor comes to an abrupt halt.'

Thanks. :tiphat:

ahortator

Veteran
Hi. I have a question about the worm bins. I am planning to do it at small scale for germinating seeds.

How do you avoid the worms eat the seeds or the seedlings?

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The worms eat decaying matter, so you shouldn't be concerned for your seeds.Every time i throw up vegetables with seeds in my compost, they pop ( the seeds) all over the place with no help.

This said i ve never tried it with old cannabis seeds, so i might be wrong.

M

moose eater

The worms eat decaying matter, so you shouldn't be concerned for your seeds.Every time i throw up vegetables with seeds in my compost, they pop ( the seeds) all over the place with no help.

This said i ve never tried it with old cannabis seeds, so i might be wrong.

We have a larger compost bin x 2 out back. Our veggie scraps and fish stuff typically go out there, except for spud scraps. Seeds from discarded veggies sprout out there all the time, from peppers, to tomatoes, etc.

The only evidence of (unintended) post-facto sprouting of cannabis seeds I've had involved relatively fresh seed that were in/on recycled container soil that was sent out into the raised beds where we grow veggies. I was out there watering one day (over 10 years ago) and there was a proud pot plant standing about 3-4 inches, and looking healthy; I'd apparently missed her.

That startled me a bit for security reasons back then. :biggrin:

But the more interesting of the seeds I'm working with are (as written earlier) 34-45 years of age, respectively, and I'm trying to be as careful as possible, without possessing a worm bin.

Mystic Funk

Hi. I have a question about the worm bins. I am planning to do it at small scale for germinating seeds.

How do you avoid the worms eat the seeds or the seedlings?

like pepe said, worms will not eat fresh seeds they can't anyway, they don't have teeth and would never get through the hard seed hull unless it was very rotten and soft.
and no they will not eat the plants roots once it's growing. they only eat decaying matter.
if anything they would help aerate around the plants roots and clean up any dead plant matter around the plant.

peace!
-mystic

Americangrower

Veteran
Wish I had a worm bin to germinate these Alien Rock Candy.. went 0 for 12 on the 1st half. Any ideas what to try Mystic. I haven't seen a single person get any to grow, I got some to crack but tap root barely stuck out.

Mystic Funk

Wish I had a worm bin to germinate these Alien Rock Candy.. went 0 for 12 on the 1st half. Any ideas what to try Mystic. I haven't seen a single person get any to grow, I got some to crack but tap root barely stuck out.

hey man!
how old are these seeds and how were they stored???
from what i've learned along the way, it's best to clean the seeds in a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution first before doing any germ method to rid them of any mold spores.
it's sounds like that's what happened to yours, they pop open then stop growing because mold will attack them faster than they can grow.
or your other problem is that the seeds weren't stored well and the auxins and hormones are dried up.

a good friend just told me about coating the seeds in a dry beneficial bacteria to fight against bad mold when germinating.

so seeing that you don't have a worm bin, i'd do what i said above and then find a good quality organic soil mix and plant them in it after you soak them in light B1 solution over night to jump start them.... or you could just send them to me and i'll toss em in my worm bins for ya.;)

peace!
-mystic

M

moose eater

hey man!
how old are these seeds and how were they stored???
from what i've learned along the way, it's best to clean the seeds in a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution first before doing any germ method to rid them of any mold spores.
it's sounds like that's what happened to yours, they pop open then stop growing because mold will attack them faster than they can grow.
or your other problem is that the seeds weren't stored well and the auxins and hormones are dried up.

a good friend just told me about coating the seeds in a dry beneficial bacteria to fight against bad mold when germinating.

so seeing that you don't have a worm bin, i'd do what i said above and then find a good quality organic soil mix and plant them in it after you soak them in light B1 solution over night to jump start them.... or you could just send them to me and i'll toss em in my worm bins for ya.;)

peace!
-mystic

Hey Mystic,

I'd asked a similar question earlier, a page or two ago, and now it's almost answered.

By beneficial bacteria, are you referring to something like a broad-based myco and bacteria powder, like Great White? Or something different?

Re. the B-1, I have a variety of options, including Super-Thrive and Thrive Alive.

As for auxins, any references or pointers? Where, and what?

My GA-3 isn't here yet, and probably won't be for a week or two, but I'd like to climb right into this when those and other items arrive, assuming other chores and projects are out of the way. Finally have the bug again...

If it fails this time, maybe I'll just eat what remains. At least then I'll get some protein!! :biggrin:

Thanks! :tiphat:

troutman

Seed Whore

I wonder who that was? :biggrin: I now hide. :peek:

By beneficial bacteria, are you referring to something like a broad-based myco and bacteria powder, like Great White? Or something different?

I added some to my worm bin since it will help with the worms who do feed on bacteria as well.

It will help your seeds along. I made a list of what's in Great White here.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8084113&postcount=10

M

moose eater

I have Great White and was talking about it to Mystic last night about it.

I added some to my worm bin since it will help with the worms who do feed on bacteria as well.

It will help your seeds along.

I made a list of what's in Great White here.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8084113&postcount=10

Thanks!

So, tentatively, I'm envisioning possibly a light scuffing of the edge, & doing the 3% hydrogen peroxide bath for a half-day or so. Then a treatment with the auxins (still puzzled; I'll be doing some research re. this/these), and/or AG-3 in a lighter dilution of 100 ppm or slightly less, and planting with the Great White as a dusting, in the lighter mix outlined above..

If that doesn't impress the little buggers, I guess I could always offer them bacon and eggs... :biggrin:

But seriously, does the course of action I've outlined (minus the bacon and eggs) sound reasonable and effective?

Latest posts

Latest posts