What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WHAT TO DO!? My entire crop hermied post-power outage

Team Microbe

Veteran
I can't believe it happened. I had 11 full-size girls in my 5x10 tent in week 4 of flowering & upon inspection last week I noticed little balls not very traditional looking:

picture.php

I popped em open, and a little pre-mature seed popped out. Every plant looks like this, they're all hermies :noway:

My question:
Are these salvageable for hash? Or should I toss the entire garden and start over?

It scares me knowing that I won't have medicine for another 4 months... this is getting very serious as reality settles in. I do not know what I will do to manage...

G

Yes, definetly make hash, oil, butter....ect. Your only 4-6 weeks from finish, seeded plants are still smokeable. At least you'll have something during the new grow. You didn't mention details of the power outage, but it must have been several days? I really doubt missing a light cycle would throw a hermie curse so quick.

Keif

RonSmooth

Veteran
A plant isnt a hermie because it was pollinated and made a seed.

I dont see any male flowers in your pic.

The stigma will die and wither after they are pollinated. Are there any fresh white ones?

What are you going to do toss them? If theyre all ruined, why not finish them? Get the most out of it as you can.

I would hold off on callling it a total loss until you post more pics and know for sure.

Team Microbe

Veteran
picture.php

In every bud I pull off I find these little seed pods. I swear every calyx has one...

picture.php

We're at about week 4 right now... you can see where I plucked a bud to examine the insides. Lots of resin production but I'm afraid that's going to come to a halt and energy will be used to produce seed instead.

The power outage happened mid-day for about 4 hours during "lights on". This was around week 2 of flower. After this I changed the lighting schedule to a later time in the evening to help with heat issues since summer was coming on. I'm pretty sure this is what did it.

Whatta ya guys think? Toss the crop? Keep it? Def not smoking it with the headaches that will follow... but I'm wondering if using it for hash would be worth waiting out the 4 weeks left of flowering. Ugh. I really appreciate any and all input here folks... these are tough times for me

Ickis

Veteran
So you would go months without smoking rather than just pick seeds out whenever you process some buds to puff. That is just crazy.

Seeded weed is perfectly fine to smoke. Seedless weed is just a better deal when buying weed by the ounce.

If it is that awful to you and you are going to toss it out there will be plenty of people that will cherish smoking it.

marrdogg

Veteran
Finish'em what you got to loose. Start another batch now squeeze them in there somehow. That way when your others are done you'll only have to wait half the time. Make hash, edibles, oil or just pluck the seeds out and smoke. Sumthins betta then nuthin!

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
Im with Marr finish them and squeeze the next rotation in so you wont fall behind, now that theyre producing seeds they don't have to have the spotlight and can be set off in the corner to finsh up . I know , however, theres most likely no roomleft in the flower room cause you didn't expect this . in that cast throw out the smallest to make room and keep the biggest to finish and provide you with smoke till the next harvest ....hope that helps :tiphat:

Finish'em what you got to loose. Start another batch now squeeze them in there somehow. That way when your others are done you'll only have to wait half the time. Make hash, edibles, oil or just pluck the seeds out and smoke. Sumthins betta then nuthin!
X2

Team Microbe

Veteran
So you would go months without smoking rather than just pick seeds out whenever you process some buds to puff. That is just crazy.

Seeded weed is perfectly fine to smoke. Seedless weed is just a better deal when buying weed by the ounce.

If it is that awful to you and you are going to toss it out there will be plenty of people that will cherish smoking it.

smoking seeded bud (or bud with seeds plucked out with seed sacks still in them) gives you the worst headache you can ask for... I've done it before and regret doing it every time. You don't wanna smoke that stuff man, trust me.

S

sourpuss

Must be all for money. Only a non smoker would consider trashing a plant 4 weeks into flower. If your in it for the money just say so.... not a big deal:)

Finish em and hash em. Most breeders prefer seeded weed. I like it as well:) your hash will be good....

Last edited:

Coconutz

Veteran
After checking each female that is a no on the nanners. Definitely came from stress IMO

Seeds dont magically form from stress.
If stress causes the plant to grow male flowers, it can pollinate itself.
The light turning off for a few hours during the flower cycle isnt going to stress the plants at all 0% stress!
Its more like a break in the shade on a hot day...
There are other issues here...
Youre going to have to do some reading to get a grasp on this growing thing.
Its going to come with some growing pains and youre going to have to learn as you go.
I suggest you start taking a look at all the little things in the grow that might have caused the male flower/nanner somewhere in your room.
You want to look for either open male flowers, or light green claws(nanners) hanging out in the room.

S

sensibuds

Dang, sorry to hear.

Facts are facts, and this is not the immaculate conception.

Somewhere, which may have only been a few, you had pollination.

Let them fully mature! Chop, then make some ice hash with it.

However, don't save the beans. Could they be fem? Sure. Will they be stressed out? Yup.

HunterJ

Finish them. Something is better than nothing ...

Way back when we were lucky if our seeded weed was also good weed. No doubt you will have better seeded weed.