What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bad Animal Experiences

G

I thought it would be fun to hear how other growers deal with the wildlife they encounter. Over the years i've had several unpleasant encounters, but the most devestating wasn't a bear or dear, it was a skunk.

Their main defense is to become ridgid and stick their tail up in the air as a warning to animals that approach or threaten. The problem is that humans arent nocturnal and can 't see his warning in the dark. I tripped over one once a took the full force. I was lucky I wasn't bitten as well. The stench was overwhelming and took my breath. It was 4 days of washing before the smell had abated. Rattlesnakes/ copperheads and rutting dear can be problems here as well.

I'll bet cali and northwestern growers have some real encounters with mountain lions and all. Share your animal encounters with me!

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Not really an animal story, but...

Clearing a path through swampland in search of a new grow spot some moons ago, a shower of microscopic flesh-eating fly larvae dusted my arms and shoulders, but I thought nothing of it till a few hours later after they had bored into my skin, and I got to experience what it would feel like to have a bunch of elves crawl all over me jabbing red-hot sharp needles into me, all day and night.

Wound up hospitalised and getting dosed with strong antibiotics for a few days before the last of my unwelcome guests departed.

Learned a new respect for the jungle after that, and only recently did the last traces of scarring finally fade, erasing what once looked like the aftermath of a Dick Chenney hunting trip.

The things I do to get high...

G

Dayum SW. getting sprayed by a skunk doesn't sound so bad after reading you post. Im glad we don't have those kind of bugs here. Youre right, growers go through hell. I stay torn up from blackberry thorns.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i got trapped in a enclosed area with waterfalls to my back, walls on both sides and in front a mountain lion. oh yea it was also at night. me and some friends were hiking just smokin out next to the water, we went fishing a little earlier down river. it gets dark and the crickets come to life by the hundreds if not more. its all going good until just about every single one stops at the same time. so i look out and see something big move across the pathway to behind a bush. i said something we all armed our selfs. we had to walk past back to back with knifes and a small axe out. about half way out we saw it standing on a small ridge right above where we just walked past. just staring, looking at us. thank god it didn't attack.

Smoke68

You ever walk into a deer?
I haven't, I just thought it would be fun to ask. I havent had any big scares, but I have seen some cool shit... Bald eagles perched and then suddenly swooping down and picking up a rabbit in the field 30yds away. I have seen coyotes (have seen 2 times and every time they were alone) chasing a cat and a raccoon.
Hows this one for ya'll skeptics... I do not believe in bigfoot... But I do however believe that there is a mammal, fitting BF's description is running around out there. And I believe I have seen him 3 times.

Mr.Pyrex

Smoke68 said:
You ever walk into a deer?
I haven't, I just thought it would be fun to ask. I havent had any big scares, but I have seen some cool shit... Bald eagles perched and then suddenly swooping down and picking up a rabbit in the field 30yds away. I have seen coyotes (have seen 2 times and every time they were alone) chasing a cat and a raccoon.
Hows this one for ya'll skeptics... I do not believe in bigfoot... But I do however believe that there is a mammal, fitting BF's description is running around out there. And I believe I have seen him 3 times.

lol i get mad paranoid walking threw forest knowing any second something trippy can happen.

G

ran into a few rattlers this year but that was about it .. pretty scary shit... my dog seems to get into it with what ever animal she can track down... mostly racoons and possoms,snakes, gophers she runs into a deer every now and then.. litterally , she almost caught a bird to. my biggest fear isnt an animal encounter its actually spiders, i killed a brown recluse that was about the size of a hocky puck, took a cinder block to kill it.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I once lost some seedlings to snails.

Now I know how Roy Scheider felt in Jaws. :badday:

Last edited:
G

Hi all, I hear ya Freezerboy, the most serious attacks are on the Plants!!

Ican relate well to the spider problems EscoBB, in the late summer here, there is a big brown fuzzy spider that builds its web in the evening about head high and I constantly walk into them in the dusk or dawn. Theres nothing worse than knowing somewhere on your body is a nickle sized, fang filled arachnid. YUK.

Ive yet to see Big foot Mr. Pyrex but Im looking. Im figuring if I can get a picture of that rascal I'll be skipping off to the bank and get on Jerry Springer.

Jaykush, "axes and knives", sounds like yawl was about to have a little mountain lion suprise loaf. Yum yum.

I ncounter deer on every trip out Smoke68, there are so many here - we have a terrible overpopulation. Male deer in rutting usually just wants to be declared king of the forest and when encountered, if one takes a subserviant stature, backing away from him, he'll be happy. With me, because I go out at dark usually, I walk up on them and they scare the hell out of me jumping up and running.

Smoke68

I know I will be flamed from the non-believers... but I believe in Sassafrass.
You see Mr. Celsius, I think that the people who have described "Bigfoot" are seeing just that... only his name is not Bigfoot, it is Sassafrass lol (Tenacious D ref.)
Both times I saw the animal, it was as though it was studying us (first time whole family, second time father and I on motorcycles).My first encounter was with my whole family... We had taken a nature hike up onto Mt. Baker. It was a sunny, clear day, just around noon. The plants where vivid in scent and color. After 2 hours of hiking and v It was always close enough to smell heavily... wreaking of garbage and sweat. The breathing was heavy, as though a humans but deeper and "longer" sounding. The hair a deep brown color. The intelligence; quite obvious. It moved swift and consciously through the woods... it was circling us, following our every move... after first hearing it, our family ran together at sprint back toward the car(3-4 miles away at this time). We could hear it behind us, and then next to us, and in front of us... As we ran, I saw it run across the paths twice once in front and once behind(just behind, about 10 feet). Both times just the ankle/foot of it was all I could see.

coco moe

i worry more about a black bear or mountain lion than anything else.

a mountain lion is going to be a rare one since they normally will avoid humans at all costs, but if you are close to see one, it's REALLY dangerous.

the bears will come to your grow if you have blood and bone meal in your buckets and if you have any garbage they can get into.

deer and wild turkeys are just part of the normal wildlife were i am at.

they walk thru the property all the time.

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Smoke68 said:
You see Mr. Celsius, I think that the people who have described "Bigfoot" are seeing just that... only his name is not Bigfoot, it is Sassafrass lol (Tenacious D ref.)
Both times I saw the animal, it was as though it was studying us (first time whole family, second time father and I on motorcycles).My first encounter was with my whole family... We had taken a nature hike up onto Mt. Baker. It was a sunny, clear day, just around noon. The plants where vivid in scent and color. After 2 hours of hiking and v It was always close enough to smell heavily... wreaking of garbage and sweat. The breathing was heavy, as though a humans but deeper and "longer" sounding. The hair a deep brown color. The intelligence; quite obvious. It moved swift and consciously through the woods... it was circling us, following our every move... after first hearing it, our family ran together at sprint back toward the car(3-4 miles away at this time). We could hear it behind us, and then next to us, and in front of us... As we ran, I saw it run across the paths twice once in front and once behind(just behind, about 10 feet). Both times just the ankle/foot of it was all I could see.

Sure it was a guy on a meth binge? :biglaugh:

Nah, but seriously, thats some scary shit, sorta. I would have stuck around and say wazup, seems like he wanted to hang, but you guys ran off.

houndog

Beaver, bighorn sheep, bear, rodents, cows, deer and man, these were all a direct threat to my plants.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Four mysteries I'd like to see solved before my time on earth is done :

1. Bigfoot ( Sasquatch, Yeti, Yerrin )

2. Loch Ness Monster ( and his cousins Ogo-pogo etc )

3. Whoever it is piloting all those UFO's that thousands have seen worldwide.

4. The Chupacabra ( blood sucking flying beastie ) of South America

G

Smoke68 said:

"The intelligence, quite obvious".

Smoke68

With the ability to gain such close quarters to us, constantly circling us, in the scenario we where pressed with, I must say it's actions are derived from intelligence. A creature such as a bear with moderate (in animal kingdom) intelligence would have either fled or it would have made its presence known. It also never made much noise... I heard it grunt a few times when it was close and running past to get ahead, but it never really made a "call" or a defined noise. No growl, no bark, no talking, no whistle... just grunting and deep, heavy panting. I will say that whatever it was, it knew exactly what it was doing and I can honestly say that if it wanted us for one reason or another, I probably would not be typing this now.

G

bdd_Chewbacca.jpg

Smoke68

Damnit Excel... BIGFOOTS GLOVE IS TAN!!! Bigfoot is RIGHT handed, and do you see that big ol' zipper running diagonal across his chest? Obviously a fake... Geesh...
ROFL.