What's new

Brexit´s done

Cuddles

So the Brexit deals is done but apparantly it´s a much worse deal than the one Theresa May managed to hammer out.
People have been saying this for some time but now it seems official.
oh well...

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
The remoaners have the most to say. People that are content never go on and on like the complainers. It's human nature. I have seen the silly FB stories about all we have lost, and half of it we never had anyway.

As an example, we won't be able to use the euro anymore. Only Sterling.
The only shop that accepted euros was the money exchange shop.

We won't be able to cross boarders without a passport now.
Was there ever a boarder you could cross without one? The gov agencies said yes but the travel operators all wanted passport ID still.

Lots of meaningless changes. Like our uni students not getting time in europe. I don't even know what that is talking about. However I won't be paying for that with my taxes in the same way now. It's just nothing.

This omg bad deal crap is just some euro tool to make us look weaker. The vast majority wanted this here in the UK. We are sat back with a satisfied look on our faces. That's not news that sells though

RudeDog

Veteran
Seems to me the EU got mostly everything they wanted and the UK are pretending they got everything they wanted.

Cuddles

yep that´s basically it. And Boris threw the fishing industry under the bus of course. But to be fair he doesn´t give a toss about anyone else either

mr.brunch

Veteran
Seems to me the EU got mostly everything they wanted and the UK are pretending they got everything they wanted.

Boris and his friends got exactly what they wanted.
Got out of the eu the day before the new tax avoidance law came in.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Oh and we now have no access to the European human rights courts...
Which is handy when you are mega rich, and are also now able to opt out of workers rights laws (another Brexit perk!)
But no, it was all about fish.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Well as fish is the flavour of the day, lets look at it properly.
We wanted it sorted in 2 years, they said 12, we met at 5. Where is 5 again, I forget. Is it nearer to 12 or 2 ?

Social media and newspapers are not reliable sources.

Cuddles

Social Media? I totally agree :No way

But I´m not on any of those platforms anyway. And bullshitting reporters and so-called journalists have been having a field day going on about Brexit stuff. Professionalism? forget it.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
didn´t even know about this one. But doesn´t the UK have laws on tax issues anyway?

Yes it's having control of our own laws that allows us to be much more responsive to changes. It's why people will want to use London. We can make things work without half as many meetings with countries that are actively saying No because they don't want our financial dominance. We have had our hands tied as other euro countries have tried to leverage some of our action for years. Now they are still a huge incoherent tea party and we are an independent able to move on things quickly.

mr.brunch

Veteran
It’s “freeports” the eu want to clamp down on, and we have several in this country- Boris has stated on video at the beginning of this year he wants more of them.

A Freeport is basically a port/airport that operates outside tax laws for high value goods.
Tax is only paid on those goods if they are retailed in this country

RudeDog

Veteran
Well as fish is the flavour of the day, lets look at it properly.
We wanted it sorted in 2 years, they said 12, we met at 5. Where is 5 again, I forget. Is it nearer to 12 or 2 ?

Social media and newspapers are not reliable sources.

It is 5 years because EU runs in 5 year cycles and they have left the door open for the UK to re-join. The treaty that has just been signed allows for constant negotiation and a review after 5 years, 2026. Alignment to the single market is inevitable simply down to the gravitational pull of the EU.

I reckon there will be a lot of 'Red Wall' voters who are going to be seriously pissed off when they see what the plutocrats have in store for the UK.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The UK narrowly voting ‘Leave’ in the Brexit referendum was in many ways similar to the USA voting for Trump as President… Somehow, the political party that was responsible for the huge inequalities we see in society - persuaded the victims of that inequality to vote for them against their own economic interests. They did this by creating division and phoney culture wars.
Luckily for the USA they got to change their minds after a few years,

Unluckily for the UK Brexit is forever.

I will never understand how enough UK citizens voted to swap their own personal freedom (and the freedom of their children) to live and work in 27 other countries - for the dubious concept of national sovereignty (sold to them by the brexiters)
National Sovereignty is a pretty much meaningless concept in the modern world… in fact the only nation that has anything like national sovereignty is North Korea… and its people have few rights with many of them starving.
In order to trade and collaborate fairly with other nations, you need rules..

to protect workers' rights so companies can’t undercut others at the expense of their employees' pay and conditions.

To protect the environment so companies can’t cut corners at the expense of the planet.

Nations pool elements of their sovereignty for mutual benefit -that’s what trade deals are!
Sovereignty means isolation in the modern world… what you need is influence – and the UK just threw most of their’s away !

The UK still basically has a ruling class, and these days they are called the Conservative or Tory Party. They are the ones to blame for the huge inequality we see in the UK… but somehow Tories like Boris Johnson saw a route to power by convincing the UK working classes that the EU was to blame for their awful predicament. Brexit was a swindle of the British working people, classic divide and conquer, and ironically it is the same people who will suffer the most from Brexit… which has already made us all poorer by devaluing the pound by 10-15% (the UK imports almost everything) and the wafer thin deal Boris has saddled us with is forecast to make the UK 5% poorer next year, and poorer still for many years to come. Sure, some rich business people and investors will cash in.. but not the ordinary people who voted leave because felt they had been behind… they have voted themselves poorer…
not least because the EU used to identify the poorest areas of Europe and invest in their infrastructure – like the post-industrial towns in the UK which were hollowed out by Thatcher in the 80’s and have born the brunt of the last 10 years of Tory austerity.

People might talk about immigration as an issue… but total immigration into the UK last year was the highest in 5 years – because as EU immigration has dropped dramatically, immigration from the rest of the world (which the UK has always had total control over) has increased to compensate. So if you voted for Brexit because you wanted to reduce immigration, you have been swindled.
Prosperity? There were claims during the referendum that we would be better off financially outside the EU… but it is was a false claim that no-one is making any more.

So, Brexit. Lots was promised but little has been delivered, lots still to resolve (like our biggest export – financial services) - and it will continue to be an issue for many years to come…

Happy New year :D !

Latest posts

Latest posts