What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Panama x Malawi - limited edition

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome to ICMag @FieldEffect :) and thanks for choosing Panama x Malawi for your third outdoor grow.
Great size and lovely sativa traits on her. What's your latitude ? This sativa cross finishes around late Oct-early November at 37ºN.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Thanks for sharing indoor and outdoor pics of your selected Panama x Malawi @bigtacofarmer :)
Looks resinous with dense flowers.

What does stood out from her compared with the other females ? Better effects ? Good balance of desirable traits above average ? Did she come from a regular or fem pack ? If i remember correctly you were selecting from both versions.

Good luck with the 2 outdoor copies, hope they can finish without problems after induce flowering earlier by light dep.
She is my favorite out of 7 females from a regular pack. Flavor is hard to describe. Very complex, dances around my tastebuds. Space fruit and exotic spices. They high is nice and strong, mostly felt in the head and chest. Slightly trippy. Out of all the plants there were 2 similar but not as good and 3 that were more tobacco/incence?, not as refined and complex of flavors. And there was one more, tasted a bit citrusy, had tons of extra leaf to trim, and was not as good.

The outdoor light dep ones are at about 10 weeks right now and swelling up nicely. Im hoping the flavor matches the smell. I smell exotic incense, lemonade powder and bubblegum. Really hoping for enough sunny days to bring her to perfection. Today is rainy and they are staying in the garage.

sgka

Veteran
Very well focused SOG @sgka :yes: to flower small mature clones is the best way to grow sativa genetics indoors in small spaces. What other genetics do accompany Panama x Malawi in this grow ?
GHS Super silver haze, DP blueberry, GHS Hawaiian snow, purple caper assorted chocolate cross (won't be running it again. 40 days to finish, very poor yield).

I will begin to phase in some mountain gold and green mountain grape, likely for the winter cycle beginning in February or so.

Welcome to ICMag @FieldEffect :) and thanks for choosing Panama x Malawi for your third outdoor grow.
Great size and lovely sativa traits on her. What's your latitude ? This sativa cross finishes around late Oct-early November at 37ºN.
Glad you chimed in @dubi! I'm 34N. I suspect that will give me just a few more days of margin compared to 37.

Suspect we'll be in the clear if she's done early November. If we get some hairy weather I may need to figure something clever out to protect her but end-October is the first frost I've ever seen. Absolute worst case would be chopping her tops off and throwing a cover on at night. I don't think I could manage that at her current size.

Really appreciate the comments on it. Hoping for a great smoke experience 😎🤠

She's hustlin'. Yellow leaves a week or so ago added some castings to the top didn't want her hungry yet. Looking OK overall?

Attachments

• Pan flower 22sep23.jpg
    Pan flower 22sep23.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 175
  • Pan 22sep23.jpg
    Pan 22sep23.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 172

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for the update @FieldEffect what a beast :D hehehehe looks also to me like an early November finisher, keep the feeding strong, high in N too, at least until 2/3 parts of flowering.

sgka

Veteran
Water has super hard here lately with all the storms. Ph normally sits around 7.2 and now has spiked to 8.4 out of the well. Took some finagling to get it back. Also a little heavy on the nutes with everyone else who's in there. Eventually I'll do a sativa and indica only tent, respectively, to account for stretch and feed

Those look really nice to me, @sgka!

Here's my Panalawi a couple days ago. Most everything else is already down and drying. Been keeping up on the feeding but she's still dropping quite a few yellow leaves.

She's starting to smell pretty strongly. I described the scent on another forum as something like Pinesol and Lemon Pledge in a spice shop. I don't know how else to summarize it. Smells good, and unique. I've never smelled anything quite like it. I went to the Ace site to see what it's supposed to smell like just now:

"Oily, resinous, incensey, citrus smell, slightly spicy and woody. Dense and rich, yet smooth floral taste of fermented fruity fizzy tangy smells, with freshly sawn wood and red wine hints."

Definately getting the citrus and wood notes. I've nevere used incense of any kind so I don't know about that but seems are reasonable description.

A chest-high side shoot bud:
pan bud 7oct23.jpg

One of the tall stalks and my hand as high as I can reach:
Pan tippie toes 7oct23.jpg

Pretty good sized stalk with some reading material for reference (note a few days of plucked yellows):
Pan stalk 7oct23.jpg

The whole lady. Looks less impressive than I feel it is in reality. It's the largest plant I've ever seen, but I haven't been at this for long.
pan overall 7oct23.jpg

Cheers everyone, thanks for looking!

Another update as harvest nears.

Fed some Terp Tea Bloom, GG Mono-Silicic and Insect Frass Ferment. Smell is developing lovely. Buds are plumping up and pistils browning, some fresh ones still popping out. Rotated 180 again as I have throughout the season on a 2-3 week interval.

pan overall 16oct23.jpg

Some budshots:
pan flower 3 16oct23.jpg

pan flower 2 16oct23.jpg
Pan flower 4 16oct23.jpg

pan flower 1 16oct23.jpg

Thinking we need a couple more weeks, it looks like the weather will cooperate.
monthly 16oct23.JPG

Any thoughts? I'm thinking she'll go until the frost threatens.

Cheers and have a lovely day!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
She certainly looks done from here @FieldEffect :yes: a bit earlier at your latitude 34ºN than the stated in the strain description. By the looks and sound she is certainly a Panama dom expression. Congrats! ;)

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
beautiful colas shaping there passing mid flowering @sgka :)
Could you post each separate and describe their terpenes through ripening ?

She certainly looks done from here @FieldEffect :yes: a bit earlier at your latitude 34ºN than the stated in the strain description. By the looks and sound she is certainly a Panama dom expression. Congrats! ;)

You think she's done already? Any harm in leaving her another week or two? Most of the colas look like the first budshot - quite a few white pistils still.

Thanks for your input!

sgka

Veteran
beautiful colas shaping there passing mid flowering @sgka :)
Could you post each separate and describe their terpenes through ripening ?
I will try. My nose isn't as good as it used to be. I overloaded myself harvesting blueberry today, so later this week I will find some time to get in there and sniff around

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
You think she's done already? Any harm in leaving her another week or two? Most of the colas look like the first budshot - quite a few white pistils still.

Thanks for your input!
You can harvest her now or leave her a few days more, up to your taste. It's important to harvest in a peak of strong terpenes and before terpenes start to fade after peak of ripening.

You can harvest her now or leave her a few days more, up to your taste. It's important to harvest in a peak of strong terpenes and before terpenes start to fade after peak of ripening.
Started harvest today after some verification of trichomes. Spent a few hours and got the top 3-4' down and drying. Appreciate the guidance!

I'll leave some of the lowers going a bit longer but will get another good chunk down tomorrow early morning.

You can hardly tell :LOL:

Pan 17oct23.jpeg

Pan5 17oct23.jpg Pan4 17oct23.jpg Pan3 17oct23.jpg Pan2 17oct23.jpg Pan1 17oct23.jpg

El Quijote

Hello everyone, a pleasure to be here again, as I was able to see that these genetics from Ace seeds grow a lot, I wanted to do an experiment this year and germinate on August 9 to try to prevent them from getting too big, taking into account that the flowering will be longer because it germinated so late, from left to right the first plant is panama haze, the next two are panama x malawi and the last one is Malawi x Panama, the photo is just the first month since it germinated, the plants are one month old 4 hours of direct sun and indirect light in the shade all day

Attachments

• IMG_20230909_113518.jpg
    IMG_20230909_113518.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 82

El Quijote

The plants are already 6 weeks old from germination, the vigor of these F1 varieties are very powerful, from left to right, Panama Haze, the next two Panama x Malawi and the last Malawi x Panama. This photo is from September 21.

Attachments

• IMG_20230921_162656.jpg
    IMG_20230921_162656.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20230921_162650.jpg
    IMG_20230921_162650.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 82

El Quijote

Photos from October 9, two months since germination, the stretch in flowering was great, but bearable, you can see that the two are visually different phenotypes, one more compact and the other more open and with longer branches and larger internodes. long and flexible, they both smell the same like lemon with herbs, wood and chemicals, they will surely need to be strung with ropes so that on windy days the branches do not bend.

Attachments

• IMG_20231022_023700.jpg
    IMG_20231022_023700.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20231022_023612.jpg
    IMG_20231022_023612.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 97