What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Buds smell and taste like hay - first grow/harvest

Harvested last week friday. Been about 6 days. Now in jars. buds turned crisy but stems dont snap put into jar but cut up buds with the stem/stalk attached into jars and burping every 6-8hours.

Buds hardly smell dank.. smell like hay and taste is very bland hay like..

What do i do? i have ordered humidipacks*

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
buds turned crisp, but the stems dont snap?
what were your temps like when you dried the bud, any idea on the Rh (humidity) of your drying area

that hay smell is usually associated with drying the plant out fast because too much of the chlorophyll is preserved ,giving it that green grassy smell
maybe the moisture inside will even things out and you will loose most of that green taste, but the problem is, once you loose certain terps you can never get them back

like another said, lesson learned and i hope you still enjoy your buds!

dramamine

Sounds like it was still too moist to seal up. The sugar leaves should crumble a bit when it's close.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Sounds like you need to keep burping the jars. Maybe leave the top off the jars for an hour or so. Sound improve in a couple days.

Basically;

first day or 2 was 24C with 60-70RH
then 19-21C with 50-60 RH (next day or 2)
then cripsy and put into jars..
fan was blowing on the side of the tent under buds
when touching buds they were seriously crispy dry
i did wet trimming which was such a pain
unfortunately not measuring RH in jar
buds get* moist (spongey wet like) every few hours so i am taking it all out for a few hours and putting back in..

Scrappy-doo

You jarred them up waaaaay too soon. I hang plants for 2 weeks @ 60% RH. You want them dry on the inside too not just the outside. The fact they are getting moist in the jar every few hours is proof they are too wet.

Keep doing what you're doing with them until they stop sweating. The smell will come out more when they are done drying.

Brother Nature

It does sound like you jarred it up pretty early. With the fan blowing in the tent it would have dried the outsides of the bud well before the inside too, there's probably still a lot of moisture in the jarred buds. Personally, I'd move the jarred bud into a large paper bag (think old shopping bags) that can be folded over to keep the light out, but not be airtight. Wait a little bit, airing the bag out every once and a while, till the inner stems snap between the fingers, then I'd transfer to the jars.

Usually, I'd trim the main leaves off, leaving the sugar and smaller leaves on, dry for a week or two (depending on the outside weather, it can be longer or shorter) until the inner stems crack a little upon bending, but don't snap. Then I'd transfer them to the paper bags for roughly another week, it's sort of like a pre-cure, then once the inner stems snap nicely, I trim the rest of the sugar leaf off and transfer to the jars for proper curing. I personally don't measure RH in the jar, but it is a good idea to do so, especially if you want to get a feel for properly curing your bud. I generally set aside a month for the trimming and drying process as I'm in no rush to sell anything off and just use for myself. The harvest time can be the hardest waiting period when you're relatively new (I still trim buds early for 'samples' lol) but it's one of the more crucial and overlooked parts of the grow. As long as it still gets you high, you had a successful grow, life's all about improvement, the more you know and all. :D

PDX Dopesmoker

Basically;

first day or 2 was 24C with 60-70RH
then 19-21C with 50-60 RH (next day or 2)
then cripsy and put into jars..
fan was blowing on the side of the tent under buds
when touching buds they were seriously crispy dry
i did wet trimming which was such a pain
unfortunately not measuring RH in jar
buds get* moist (spongey wet like) every few hours so i am taking it all out for a few hours and putting back in..

Wet trimming and rapid drying are two big flavor killers. The second Duke Diamond interview on The Pot Cast goes into the ins an outs of drying for maximum kill a little bit, "low and slow" is the catchphrase they use, meaning low temps and slow drying. An easy way to tell if you're doing it right is if the drying room reeks of pot then thats your terps floating away on the breeze. The say 15-18ºC is probably the max temperature you want to see, but nobody is perfect. My drying area got up to 21ºC yesterday because of indian summer, the whole house reeked.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You'll learn....each time you'll improve on techniques, growing, curing, etc. I bet it's still doable.

I

Ignignokt

Just take them out of the jars and let them dry a bit longer.
Better to slightly over dry them than get mold.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Real constructive, bravo.
We all started somewhere. Some do their research prior to embarking on that adventure and, then some simply plant a seed in soil and hope for the best. Following his grow, it is clearly evident that the OP didn't do sufficient or any research prior to getting a grow under way = Lessons learned!

My 1st grow was nothing to write home about, (albeit with a ton of interaction and research prior to). 146g/600W. Over watering, PH issues (lockout), growing 4 different strains at once, VPD out of wack (never heard that word in my life until a month or so ago). I was able to bring all that into check. (thanks to LostinSOG)

Although "lessons learned" might appear as calloused, IMHO it is the most politically correct statement I could come up with. You want to dance, you have to pay the piper. I am sure that OP has learned/is learning his lessons well. :tiphat:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
IMHO everyone should own at least ...

Attachments

• jorge.jpg
    jorge.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 21

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
We all started somewhere. Some do their research prior to embarking on that adventure and, then some simply plant a seed in soil and hope for the best. Following his grow, it is clearly evident that the OP didn't do sufficient or any research prior to getting a grow under way = Lessons learned!

My 1st grow was nothing to write home about, (albeit with a ton of interaction and research prior to). 146g/600W. Over watering, PH issues (lockout), growing 4 different strains at once, VPD out of wack (never heard that word in my life until a month or so ago). I was able to bring all that into check. (thanks to LostinSOG)

Although "lessons learned" might appear as calloused, IMHO it is the most politically correct statement I could come up with. You want to dance, you have to pay the piper. I am sure that OP has learned/is learning his lessons well. :tiphat:

We all start somewhere and these forums we try to help people. That's the point of the forums. If you watched his grow why didn't you say something or help. Just sitting by and watching someone struggle is not my thing. You could read for a year but when seed hits soil it all goes out the window. Luckily people can lean on the massive experience of the fine community here.

To the OP, good call, leave them out for a bit jar then repeat. Your buds will get their flavor back.

Also mentioned wet trimming contributes to flavor loss. I completely disagree. I have done both and wet trimming far beats dry in the final product in my experience.

Let us know how you make out OP!

CrushnYuba

Just sell it to high school kids. Tell them it's a rare strain called "mr edd". It's grown in organic horse manure from horses that only eat organic hay. That's where it derives its subtle hay aroma.

Seriously though, that always happens with wet trimming. I am sure you have smelled fresh cut grass. That's what happens to your weed if you trim it before it's dried enough to dead. I have heard it produces hormones from the damage. I personally think its the chlorophylly plant sap getting everywhere. I just know i have seem it happen to many times. If the strain is stinky enough it might still smell nice, but it does make a big difference.
Other then that, some of it could be drying or genetics. In my opinion jar curing is over rated. I have never had a green smell just drying at 50% humidity and tossing in cardboard boxes. Never gave out much thought.

You sure you didn't grow an auto flower or some crap smelling strain?

Last edited:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
We all start somewhere and these forums we try to help people. That's the point of the forums. If you watched his grow why didn't you say something or help. Just sitting by and watching someone struggle is not my thing. You could read for a year but when seed hits soil it all goes out the window. Luckily people can lean on the massive experience of the fine community here.

To the OP, good call, leave them out for a bit jar then repeat. Your buds will get their flavor back.

Also mentioned wet trimming contributes to flavor loss. I completely disagree. I have done both and wet trimming far beats dry in the final product in my experience.

Let us know how you make out OP!
Sorry sir! You have obviously missed the point. He "was" helped by myself and others, every step of the way. I stand by both of my post here. :tiphat:

PS: You are known to have a sharp tongue yourself. :) Coddling does not help some one in the long run. It creates dependency!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Just sell it to high school kids. Tell them it's a rare strain called "mr edd". It's grown in organic horse manure from horses that only eat organic hay. That's where it derives its subtle hay aroma.

Seriously though, that always happens with wet trimming. I am sure you have smelled fresh cut grass. That's what happens to your weed if you trim it before it's dried enough to dead. Other then that, some of it could be drying or genetics. In my opinion jar curing is over rated. I have never had a green smell just drying at 50% humidity and tossing in cardboard boxes.

You sure you didn't grow an auto flower or some crap smelling strain?
Cardboard boxes breathe :)