What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

E-Cigarettes: A How-To With Canna

You asked for it, and you’re getting it.. a how-to, for using Canna Tincture, with Electronic-Cigarette Personal Vaporizers... and, a Fog Machine.

Feel free to ignore the single outspoken nay-sayer or two on page 2. Turns out, they were
complaining about how a completely different, failed tincture using alcohol alone, didn't
work for them. Apparently it tasted bad as well.. very unfortunate.

It takes practice, if your opinion of yourself is too high to keep trying, because you "have to get things
right the first time, or 'it's not possible'", then this recipe (the whole hobby, really) isn't for you. Practice
makes perfect, I wasn't impressed my first few tries either, but I didn't let my product go to waste :)

I guarantee if you follow a decent -glycerin- tincture recipe, and they are all over the net but I will
share mine soon, this will do wonders for you via a table top or personal vape.

1_100_1641.jpg

1_100_1605.jpg

I'm new to the boards at icmag, but not to the hobby; I've been moderating canna forums,
growing, and processing canna around the world, for many years. I've grown on two continents
in three countries in over a dozen locations of my own, and have participated and contributed
to several co-op warehouses, kitchens and labs in other places around the globe. This is a
tutorial I wrote up yesterday for another forum, I figured it would make a good first post here.

Whether you’re trying to get healthy and avoid the nasty contents of the ashtray above,
whether you're supplementing your smoking supplies, or you’re just looking for something
a little different to break up the monotony of your smoking regime...

These little babies, are the way to go.

Using a bud tincture for some of the work we're doing here, but I would really recommend
a hash tincture for e-cigs, as it's generally much, much more concentrated and contains fewer
plant waxes and chlorophyll.

It’s basically very simple, just so long as you follow a good tincture recipe… be on the look
out, I’m posting mine shortly. If done right, 3 - 5ml tincture taken sublingually (under the
tongue) will knock your socks off, but when vaped via an electronic cigarette, I find it
takes only about half that to get me where I need to be.

An electronic cigarette is made up of several pieces. I’m using a 3 piece 510 model, some
of the older models had more pieces, some of the newer ones have less.

Your basic components are: your cartridge, your atomizer, and your battery.

- The cartridge, is where you insert your tincture drop by drop. One end attaches to the
atomizer, the other end goes to your lips.

2_100_1606.jpg

- The atomizer, is the heated element that turns your liquid hash tincture, into vapor.

4_100_1612.jpg

- The battery is the longer portion of the electronic cigarette, some are manual as seen
here, some are automatic. The difference between the two being, whether or not you need
a button to begin ignition (manual), or simply the ‘draw’ of your breath (automatic). I
prefer manual, as the autos are still a bit finicky.. they can go off in your pocket from
noise, and from wind.

3_100_1607.jpg

Some newer models now contain ‘cartomizers’, or, carts that you use for your liquid and
the atomizer, all in one piece. These form the 2-piece models. I have nothing against
them, I just prefer the three piece at the moment.

What we’re using today, is a simple, no-name 510 model. It’s a great starter piece, but
I’d recommend that you upgrade to the thicker eGo, which is still very handy and portable,
for the battery life. Or even better for home or even vehicle use, one of the various
electric cigars, which are larger and less convenient, but generally have even greater vapor
production, as they are the e-cig equivalent to the analog cigar.

There are several companies available, they’re all basically the same, however there are
fakes and knock-offs being sold within the US, and world-wide. Nearly all e-cig
components are made in China, so don’t go thinking you need to avoid their parts,
because it can’t be helped. They make the best e-cigs and the worst. It’s certain local
vendors, that you need to be careful of. They come and go, so it’s best to check with the
manufacturer to be sure who you’re buying from.

My suggestion would be to find a reputable brand (Joye/Riva etc), and use one of their
licensed vendors. Buying from an unlicensed vendor can get you cheap e-cigs, and some
of them may certainly be healthy and functional, but there are many that look almost
exactly like the legitimate copies, made with inferior (dangerous) metals and components
which can burn and emit smoke, rather than producing vapor exclusively from your chosen
liquid.

- To apply liquid you’ll want to take either a new cartridge, or clean out an old one as I’ve
done here.

5_100_1615.jpg

- Using tweezers, you can easily remove the core material to clean. The first few times I
just press it between some paper towel, later on when it’s messier I run it under hot tap
water, and finally, you can also give it a quick Iso wash followed by a hot water rinse (this
is also recommended when switching flavors, otherwise you’ll have a blend between the
last flavor and the new flavor).

- Boston Cream is the flavor we’re sampling for the tutorial.. it’s my own blend (more on
flavor blends will follow). It has hints of mocha/cocoa, none of that cheap chocolate taste,
and a more dominant, rich creamy vanilla taste and almost-caramel flavor notes.

6_100_1616.jpg

- You can use a syringe, or a pipette like I’m using to get it all in there as neat and tidy
as possible, or when you’re on the go a simple spray bottle will do the trick.. I press the
nozzle of my spray bottles directly to the end of the cart (and I only very rarely make a
mess doing it that way, lol). A pipette is what we’re using here. You can get hundreds of
them for a few dollars at various online shops, so I usually toss them out after each use
to avoid flavor cross-contamination.

- Using your pipette or syringe, you’ll want to sip up a few ml of your modified ‘e-liquid’
tincture (keep reading for the correct dilutions).

7_100_1617.jpg

- Depending on your cart, it will take between 12 and 20 drops to fill. A fresh, blank cart
on its first filling will take a while, as you need to ‘prime’ the core with some liquid before
it absorbs more quickly. Subsequent fillings will go quicker.

8_100_1624.jpg

- You’ll know when you’re done filling it when your cartridge begins to pool, or have
standing liquid in the top, settling above the core material. A drop on the inner 'bridge' of
the atomizer itself (below, on the right), will help to get it going.

9_100_1626.jpg

- Once you’ve put the two pieces together, cartridge to atomizer, you’ll want to give it a
few moments to wick the liquid further into the atomizer. This prevents dry burning, which
can drastically shorten the life of your atomizer... it tastes pretty foul as well.

10_100_1627.jpg

- - While we wait... Flooding is something you’ll learn to live with, when it comes to
cheaper 510’s. With a 510 I find it’s either a tedious process, or I’m flooding a bit, and I’d
rather flood and wipe (or lick! Remember, ours is edible) the fluid away. Meaning, in my
opinion you’re better off using a bit too much tincture, than too little.

This is another reason I recommend the eGo model, also called the Tornado by one
brand. That model has a cover, that slips over the atomizer, and the atomizer collects the
pooling liquid along a ridge on its side. Much cleaner for the finger tips, and it’s safer for
your battery as well. - -

- Then, you simply twist the cart/atomizer onto your battery, and away you go! They
recommend never to depress the button longer than 5 seconds, but if you don’t have a
knock-off and your atomizers is nice and wet, I go for a good 8-10 seconds.

2_100_1629.jpg

E-cigs seem to be finicky, as far as 'lasting' or duration of life goes. Most people claim the
parts are only good for about a month or so. But with the proper care and cleaning, they
can last up to 6 months or a year, minus the carts and cores of course.

You can replace the core material with the real stuff for pennies though, and if you have
some expired tea laying around you can even use –some- types of teabag material, and
eventually when the plastic cart itself wears down they’re only a few dollars for 5 of them,
and they’ll refill and last for ages.

6_Untitled-10.jpg

4_Untitled-7.jpg

3_Untitled-8.jpg

And that, is what it looks like, when you've done it right
wink.gif

Well, I hope you found this first installment useful! Check back soon for various flavors,
and the proper tincture dilutions.
wave.gif

Ok! Flavor time...

4_100_1566.jpg

For those of you who already own and use e-cigs, and are into DIY, this is probably nothing new for you.

The best flavors you can use, have no artificial or added coloring besides the color that
forms from the flavor itself, and you'll mostly want flavors that are -not- made of essential
oils
.. this will often limit you to artificial flavors, but honestly, when you have a good supplier
they are absolutely delicious when used correctly.

The best favors have only two or three ingredients: natural flavoring, and propylene glycol or
alcohol. Loranns does decent flavors, and while it's best to avoid coloring, and oils, with enough
experience you can get away with using them without any ill effects. Some colors will always taste
foul, but many oils and essences can, with the assistance of alcohol, be broken down enough to be
used safely with e-cigs.

However, one should use those flavors with oil, at his or her own risk. Lipid pneumonia is one
of the very real consequences of inhaling improperly cured, vaporized, oils.
This has occurred with cheap/lesser but official e-liquids sold on the market legally, for e-cigs. Oil
blends will take several weeks, to several months of tedious mixing and blending, to become
safe
. Please have patience, or avoid using them all together until you know you can wait.

The flavor and cannabinoid 'vehicles' are PG, propylene glycol, and/or VG, vegetable glycerin. VG
produces a superior amount of vapor, and it's easier to come by, so we use this.

Adding a 6 drops everclear, per 10 ml finished tincture, will help both absorption and the vapor
process. It also makes it lean towards a PG mix, without actually using store bought PG (which is
often made from animal and petroleum byproducts). So about half a drop per ml, but I've never
really measured this while doing it, so you can vary it according to your preferences once you're in
the groove.

For 'original' (vape/hash flavored) e-juice, with every 10 ml of tincture w/everclear, you'll want to
thin it out with about 3-4 ml of distilled, or filtered water. You want it very slightly viscous, but not
syrupy.. it needs to be just watery enough that it doesn't burn too quickly and too harsh, but still
slightly thicker than traditional e-juice/liquid.

2_100_1571.jpg

When I flavor my tinctures or e-juice, I make blends, and I use very few straight-flavorings on their
own. Even flavors that I call, for instance, "Apple", are rarely just that. But those are my secrets,
and I'll be keeping those... for now
wink.gif

Now, to make a flavored e-juice rather than an original, you need to use the ratios given above a
bit differently. The bottles in the photos used more like 8ml, but we're using 10 ml here, because the
math is more comprehend-able.

- Let's say you want to use 10 ml tincture per bottle.

- First step, is to add about 3 - 4 ml distilled water to your vial or container.

- Then, depending on the concentration of the flavor you use (and even the same brand will vary
flavor to flavor), you need to take your flavor and mix between 4% and 10% worth of your total
ending fluid volume, into the water.

- So if it's going to be 14 ml total, including the water, everclear, and tincture, you'll want to use
between .5 - 1.4 ml flavoring added to the 3 - 4 ml water.

- Mix your water & flavor well. Now, add a few drops of everclear. Mix again.

1_100_1581.jpg

3_100_1567.jpg

- Finally, you're at the point where you can add your tincture. Once finished, mix again.

- Most importantly, you're going to need to shake these at least once a day for 2 weeks straight,
before it begins to taste right, and taste strong.

9_100_1592.jpg

7_100_1586.jpg

5_100_1600.jpg

Do not sample it immediately, and kick yourself for screwing up.

So many people buy legitimate e-juice mixes from reputable vendors, and ask "why did it take so
long for my order to get to me," or, "my last batch tasted great and this one is horrible, what did
you do wrong?"

These vendors repeatedly have to inform their customers that they hand-mix each blend, and it
takes several days for the mix to even settle properly, then up to several weeks for it to taste right.
If you order some and you get it fast, it very probably needs to sit on your shelf a while. If it took
ages to get to you, then hopefully, it's only because they mixed it and let it sit on their own shelves
first.

The flavors do NOT meld immediately, it just doesn't happen. You may think it's weak now, but if
you try to bump up the flavor in two or three weeks you'll be regretting it when it's overpowering.

Tip: always keep some plain 'original' tincture blend on hand, because if you make up a batch of
flavor that is much too strong after several weeks of waiting, instead of starting from scratch or
thinning it with glycerin (making it weak) you can easily add more tincture and water, without
severely effecting the immediate use of the product. You'll be able to use it right then,
without waiting for a new batch to finish melding (it will still continue to get better as it ages
however).

Tip: Always shake your bottles before any kind of use, or mixing. Potency does tend to
settle, even in the best and purest liquid tinctures, even if you can't really see it with the naked eye.

Tip: You're waiting for your flavors to mix: While the "original" blend does improve with age, it's
about the only blend that works great from the moment you mix it up, to the very last drop.

6_100_1599.jpg

These are my current flavors (as seen above).. mixed these up just for you guys
wink.gif

Pina Colada
Licorice
Cinnamon Roll
Cheesecake
Cotton Candy
Chocolate Hazelnut
Mango
Wintergreen
Apple
Raspberry
Blueberry
Boston Cream
Blackberry
Eggnog
Strawberry
*Peppermint
*Orange
*Lemon

*Oil blends

Alright, I dug up the photos... this is a large, but 'stealthy' travelers vaporizer
wink.gif

Simply put, it's a fog machine. This isn't something new, but I haven't seen anyone
talking about it here.

1_100_0742-2.jpg

I'm the kind of person who never drives with pipes or paraphernalia if I can help it, but
Halloween was coming and had to do something a little different, I wasn't hosting a party
this year, for once, I was going to one!

So I ran out, and found the cheapest, safest fog machine I could buy... not bad for $14
bucks
wink.gif

I bought some Fog Juice as well, dumped it out into a separate container, and washed
(rewashed, and washed again) the container out.. and filled it with my own liquid
wink.gif

The fog juice itself is largely safe for human consumption, otherwise they wouldn't use it
around children so much, so I reused the container just this once for the occasion.. the
formula they actually use for fog machines, is not much different than the e-juice being
sold for e-cigs now.

3_100_0947.jpg

2_100_0951.jpg

So besides gaining the confidence to drive around on Halloween night, with about a
quarter oz of hash (in tincture form) in my car, it's also a 'cheap mans vaporizer', to go
with some 'lazy mans fluid'...

I mixed about 1/3 of my well-strained 'lazy mans' green dragon, with 2/3 glycerin
tincture. The lazy mans Dragon is just blended, powdered buds, allowed to sit in high
proof liquor for several months, rather than using pure hash, meaning there's chlorophyll
and other plant waxes etc included.
But if you want something that tastes like actual bud, from a liquid vaporizer, this is the
way to do it. Otherwise, you can get a milder tasting vape from hash or glycerin tinc cut
with water.

I got the bags at the shops that night, they are not your average plastic storage bags and
you should never use such a thing this way; these are oven bags, which can withstand very
high temperatures without breaking down. And the machine itself can be pulled apart and
cleaned quite easily, although it makes very little mess, and even less waste.

Haven't used it much since Halloween, but I'm sure we'll be breaking it out for special
occasions (and we'll be modifying the bags, so they make a tighter seal
smile.gif
)

The best part though, is for those of you who enjoy hot boxing or clam baking... you turn
this baby on, and after 3 minutes in a small room you won't see 6 inches in front of your
face, your palms disappear as you push them in front of you. Actually, if anyone wants a
superior Fog Juice, buy glycerin and make your own.. it's a damn rip-off, buying it by the
pint the way they make it. I took photos as an example, but... they were a bit white and
boring
smile.gif

4_100_0743.jpg

5_100_0746.jpg

6_100_0778.jpg

7_100_0782.jpg

8_100_0786.jpg

The tincture is still just as tasty, when it's a residue left on a vape bag, as it is directly from a dropper bottle
smile.gif

9_100_0780.jpg

Found this from the trial run.. the door had been open a while. It takes about a minute to fill a
small 6 x 10 room, if you use it that way. People come in, medicate and socialize, then leave
when finished. It's much more comfortable than 'hot boxing' with combustables. That much
vapor can fill dozens of bags though, so use it accordingly.

493576d1290414654-e-cigarettes-how-canna-100_0795-jpg

And a couple more 'action shots' of the 510 e-cig, personal vaporizer, with hash tincture..
best of all, I have a USB 'passthru' that you use in place of the battery, for perfect hits
every time. You plug it in at your computer, or with a hand adapter in your car, and save
your batteries for shopping, travel or other busy activities where plugging in is less than
convenient.

It's odorless, as far as canna goes.. I've used these around police at carnivals, they
comment on how lovely the cotton candy smells
cool.gif

7_Untitled-4.jpg

493577d1290414654-e-cigarettes-how-canna-untitled-5-jpg

493578d1290414654-e-cigarettes-how-canna-untitled-3-jpg

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow you really have that figured out well! How do you make the tincture that you put in the e-cigs or the fog machine?

E

Encore

Very interesting, Great post!!! Got me thinking this might be very handy indeed & lol at LEO commenting on the lovely cotton candy!!! Thats priceless!!!

K+

Hey guys, thanks for the positive response, I'm glad you liked the posts :) The 'powers that be' moved this to the hash section, before I posted the most important recipe of all.. the Canna Tincture. It's the edible base for all the above liquid vape-ables. No worries, I'll get around to posting it just as soon as I organize myself, I have a lot of photo-recipes to go through.

To give an idea what I'm working with, this is what I set aside from the last crop just for processing edibles, dragon, oil and hash (a bit has been used since the photo was taken a few weeks back, I'm on my second gallon of Veg Glycerin):

462633d1284968187-3oz-challenge-2010-grower-sign-up-100_9561.jpg

It's a vegetable glycerin tincture. I make up a few gallons a year. It takes a few weeks and some gentle, air-tight heating before it's just right for use, and beyond that it still continues to age and increase in potency for several months.

Propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin are both used together and independently as vapor and nicotine 'vehicles' for traditional e-cig liquid, so it's a very simple transition from making a strong edible tincture, to a powerful 'e-juice' for a personal vaporizer.

The tincture was originally intended to be taken sublingually, or absorbed into the blood stream via an artery located under the tongue, using a dropper, or better, an atomizer spray bottle.
This avoids the liver and first pass metabolism issue that some folks have when medicating with edibles, it kicks in faster, and has a much stronger effect this way. Cutting it with green or golden dragon intensifies it further.

But you can also use it to sweeten tea, cocoa, make candies and edibles, or you can medicate easily by just eating a few drops throughout the day. Digestion lasts longer, but takes longer to kick in, and has a milder and more medicinal than narcotic effect.

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, I didn't see a smoking tools/vaping thread if there is one here, and it's using an 'edible' tincture. Anyway, my apologies for the inconvenience to the moderator who moved it :)

T

Tr33

Very Cool.
My Wife just gave me a e cig with CVK/SD loaded last month.
I asked her about refills and searched the net in vain for no info at all.

Hell Yeah. I have a glycerine tinct made with 30g Buddha Sister bubble hash/12 oz veg glycerine, it's been aging for over a year now. Did the gentle heat thing last winter with it sitting above my gas heater, no higher than 99F in that location.
Now it sits in the dark, a dropper full knocks me out in about 2hrs.
This should work nicely

Thanks!!!
Peace

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good work bad kitty!

Nice detail and documentation! Thanks for sharing!