What's new

Congress to impose 5 years in prison for passing a joint

Congress to impose 5 years in prison for passing a joint
by Marijuana Policy Project press release (20 Apr, 2005) Take action! Urge your U.S. representative and two U.S. senators to oppose harsh new mandatory minimum sentences.

Your immediate help is needed to defeat harsh new mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent drug offenses.

The U.S. House Judiciary Committee will soon consider a bill that would create draconian mandatory minimum sentences for a variety of nonviolent drug offenses, including marijuana. If this bill becomes law, anyone convicted in federal court of the crime of "enticing" someone "who has previously been enrolled in a drug treatment program" to "possess" marijuana will receive a five-year mandatory minimum sentence.

That's right: Passing a joint to someone who used to be in drug treatment will land you in federal prison for a minimum of five years.

Please visit www.mpp.org/MM to e-mail your U.S. representative and two U.S. senators today. It only takes a minute to send one of our pre-written e-mails urging them to stop this bill in its tracks.

In addition to the shocking joint-passing provision described above, the bill would also create a 10-year mandatory minimum sentence for a first-time conviction of distributing a small amount of marijuana to a person under 18 years of age ... and a 10-year sentence for a second offense of distributing marijuana to a person under 21. By comparison, the average time served by convicted rapists in this country is about seven years.

MPP does not condone the distribution of marijuana to minors, nor do we advocate the use of marijuana by people recovering from substance abuse problems. But we do believe that judges should have the discretion to determine whether or not offenders in these circumstances deserve to be imprisoned for sentences as long as five or 10 years. If these mandatory minimum sentences are enacted, judges' hands will be tied.

This bill has traction because it also contains a section that serves as the House Republican leadership's response to a recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling that made the Federal Sentencing Guidelines advisory, rather than mandatory.* The Republican leadership is highly motivated to pass this bill – and with it, the harsh new penalties related to marijuana.

The "Defending America's Most Vulnerable: Safe Access to Drug Treatment and Child Protection Act of 2005" (H.R. 1528) was introduced by House Judiciary Committee Chairman James Sensenbrenner (R-WI) on April 6, and it has already passed out of the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security.

The bill will now be debated and voted on by the full House Judiciary Committee and – if the committee passes the bill – the full House will then vote on it.

Please visit www.mpp.org/MM to e-mail to your members of Congress today. Thank you.

* Visit www.mpp.org/booker for more information about the recent U.S. Supreme Court decision on mandatory minimums.

G

man... gish... so stressful... when will these guys take a hit and step back..

PHDTHC

I love USA, I just hate stupidity!
This sounds like it will get shot down. Noone can be held liable for someone elses law breaking. If this passes, then a Dr. could be held liable for a treated Morphine addict being prescribed Morphine when the patient didn't inform the Dr. of his past. Think about it, how could I be responsible for what another man doesn't tell me. If I lend my car to a man (with bad intentions) and he uses it to run over his wife, am I liable for her murder? What if you had been treated too for THC addiction and he handed the J back? The legislature frowns on laws that land everyone in jail. This kind of law would be hard to get through. I imagine it is just the result of a congressperson trying to get their name in the paper. :p And I don't think MJ should be dealt to people under 18, but dayum...10 years?????
Peace

plinkerdink420

it doesn't seem as if they will stop until we are all in prison.... how much overcrowding of our prisons does it take before they realize that they are going about things in the wrong way...

despite a reduction in crime over the past ten years, the prisons just keep filling up... if less people are committing crimes, shouldn't less people be incarcerated? you would think so... :confused:

the Bush admin. has pushed the supreme court into hearing a case calling for the banning of religious freedom... http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/383/ayahuasca.shtml .... let's hope it blows up in their face :friends:

When the hell will they stop this BS persecution of marijuana user's only takes up more tax money to pay to have em in jail!!!(and there always complaining that they dont have enough money well thats cuz they use it on stupid shit like this)

Refeer Madness

“Defending America's Most Vulnerable: Safe Access to Drug Treatment and Child Protection Act of 2005” (H.R. 1528).

G

Man thats such BULLSHIT!!! 5 yrs for one joint.I'm so sick of the damn corrupt ass goverment going around calling everyone criminals when the politicans are the biggest criminals of all and of course lets not forget the famous commercial"If you smoke pot you support terrorism"!!I wanted to vomit when I first saw that commercial.Telling me I support terrorism because I smoke pot when there family has been partners with the bin laden family for years.If there anyone that supports terrorism its the bush's.

G

sorry y'all, I can't take the chance of a 5 year sentence, I'll just have to sit here and bogart this joint.....:smoke:

immortal

The government had a doctor at the trial for recriminalization in Alaska who said
Marijuana shared addictive properties with heroin. Now thats crazy and so is this shit.

G

It,s draconian alright and it's only gonna get worse,I personally have stopped reading all the controversial shit cause it's dis-heartening.Do you think it will change,It's biblical,either you will take the number or you will be caste out,it really is them against us and BOG is rite,GWB is the anti christ,now just where does the blue turban fit in? :joint:

G

I agree, I think it's just going to get worse. The US govt won't legalize until they have a way to corner the market, which is difficult since all you need is a seed and some dirt. Sativex has been approved now in Canada, owned by Bayer. Even if it is legalized in a sense, private growers will always be hasseled for being competition. The big corporations will patent their strains, start spraying pollen around neighborhoods to ruin our crops, or even spread a genetic disease to stomp out the competition. They don't want us growing our own medicine, they want us to buy their drugs. And I'm not just talking about pharmaceuticals... where's all the money from afghan's poppies going.. hmm.. I wonder. :rolleyes: It's up to the people, we are the ones with the power... they just want everyone to believe otherwise. hope im wrong. :-/
:joint:

tragic1

We are only as free as they let us be. How much freedom do you really have? They control what you read, they control what you see, and they control what you hear. See no evil,Hear no evil,Speak no evil.

G

Grower,
You got that rite brother,you my friend have as firm a grasp on reality as i've seen,it is pure and simple economic's. :wave:

halfbaked

This is absolutely the most boneheaded thing I read in a while. Here in Florida there have been two young girls murdered by convicted sex offenders in the last month. So they let these guy's out after a couple of years and want to lock someone up for ten after passing a joint. :mad:
I just did the deed and sent an email We all should.