What's new

Apartment operation

D

Damned

What should be ones concerns when growing in a apartment?
Besides odor, and sound.

Im thinking fogging could be a problem.

Suggetions, advice anything that could help. :joint:

Che

Veteran
Odor, sound, light leaks, humidity, maintenance visits and/or unit inspections, water (this can be caused by your grow, or another unit), and other random things can all threaten your security. Apartment grows have a lot of challenges!

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
i will second what che said.. Man thats quite scary. Even if it is only one plant.. I would definitely be scared of the maintenance he has master keys.. and all the other things mentioned above.. Good Luck if ya dare try it peace..

sack

sito007

NUMBER ONE REASON PPL GET CAUGHT IN APT GROWS IS BECAUSE OF maintenance visits and/or unit inspections!! YOU ARE RENTING NOT OWNING SO THEY CAN WALK INTO YOUR APT ANY TIME. YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS AS A RENTER , THINK OF YOUR SELF AS A SLAVE OR A PEASANT:2cents:
FIX YOUR CREDIT AND BUY A FIXER UPPER IS THE WAY TO GO

Zealious

Extra care is important when doing an apartment. and its not recomended. if you are not sure about the security than just gorila grow or find some one elses house.
I grow in my apartment. I dont live in a apartment complex building. rather its a large house that was converted to 3 separate compartments. Its in a very rich neighborhood that is extremely quiet with lots of old people living on the water.

Change your locks. its that simiple to make sure you dont get unannounced visits by people with keys. I did this since my landlord has a key..

Stay low key and freindly. My neighbor is much louder and rambunctious than I am. I guarantee no one knows IM growing.

Watch what you throw in the trash. I personally compost all of my scraps and cuttings and recycle my soil so I dont have to cart lots of suspicious looking pallets of soil. Also use a patio garden as a nice front to all that gardening stuff people see u lugging from your car. If u dont have the space for this then camouflage all gardening equipment you bring in. Or have ups deliver it to your door :D

Most importantly stealth. Incase people come over.. we have had maintenance people all over my house fixing things and we have a bug sprayer and none of them suspected a thing. The way we do it is we have a part of the apt that is in the far corner of the bed room that has a very narrow room that cant be used for much else besides storage.. then at the end of this narow room is a small closet.. well I blocked off this narow room with a false wall using black poly plastic and then a pretty shower curtain.. then I put a protable wardrobe in front of it.. Then another pretty showercurtain. its completely stealth it looks like there is just a little closet without doors that we put a portable wardrobe inside. you have to unzip the wardrobe and then find the secret doors to get to my veg room.. then the closet is the flower room. This is all in my bedroom so if i know there will be maintenance people I lock my bedroom off.

dyno

Extra care is important when doing an apartment. and its not recomended. if you are not sure about the security than just gorila grow or find some one elses house.
I grow in my apartment. I dont live in a apartment complex building. rather its a large house that was converted to 3 separate compartments. Its in a very rich neighborhood that is extremely quiet with lots of old people living on the water.

Change your locks. its that simiple to make sure you dont get unannounced visits by people with keys. I did this since my landlord has a key..

Stay low key and freindly. My neighbor is much louder and rambunctious than I am. I guarantee no one knows IM growing.

Watch what you throw in the trash. I personally compost all of my scraps and cuttings and recycle my soil so I dont have to cart lots of suspicious looking pallets of soil. Also use a patio garden as a nice front to all that gardening stuff people see u lugging from your car. If u dont have the space for this then camouflage all gardening equipment you bring in. Or have ups deliver it to your door :D

Most importantly stealth. Incase people come over.. we have had maintenance people all over my house fixing things and we have a bug sprayer and none of them suspected a thing. The way we do it is we have a part of the apt that is in the far corner of the bed room that has a very narrow room that cant be used for much else besides storage.. then at the end of this narrow room is a small closet.. well I blocked off this narrow room with a false wall using black poly plastic and then a pretty shower curtain.. then I put a portable wardrobe in front of it.. Then another pretty shower curtain. its completely stealth it looks like there is just a little closet without doors that we put a portable wardrobe inside. you have to unzip the wardrobe and then find the secret doors to get to my veg room.. then the closet is the flower room. This is all in my bedroom so if i know there will be maintenance people I lock my bedroom off.

Hehe love the sound of ur growroom. :joint:

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
In any apartment complex with shared basements, there is one major issue. I live in and grow in a townhouse, so this may not apply to your potential situation. But in the instance of shared basements, all apartments have a basement drain that connects to one main line for the entire row of houses. If this main line gets clogged in any way, the basements of that row will flood. At this point, the 24 notice rule gets thrown out the window, and you WILL get a knock on your door that sounds like authority. (Maint. Person pounding with a maglite, lol.) No matter what time it is, they are getting into your unit one way or another.

I had this happen once, luckily before I got too big to hide my shit. We were at fault here, though, because the clog was most likely caused by our recklessness with coco and plumbing. (Flushing coco pots in the bath tub without a hair-stopper and the like)

Doesn't happen often, but it's a nightmare when it does, because they have to bring in big machinery to unclog the main line.

sito007

get a c22 closet from home depot about 100$ bucks put a lock on the door and have a carbon filter running maybe somthing like this

my own DIY self recycling filter and put the closet in the middle of your room and put some cloths around and make it look like a regular closet. take a look at this pic's
http://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/8707top_lock.jpg
http://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/7466bad_pic_of_cab_7_.jpg
http://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/5928IMG_1206.jpg
http://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/5928IMG_1207.jpg

T

theratings

My biggest concern would be privacy and exhausting. In an apartment, those two things can go up against each other and cause you some problems. I'd suggest a place with central air.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
If you combine a tent/cabinet with a light, fan, and filter you have much less reason to worry when growing in apartments.

-Funk

Zealious

Never have anything delivered to the grow..........:noway:

Big no no

Thats for sure. Especially with lights. However. If ur in a really tight apartment complex where you have heavy equipment you need to bring in that you dont want your neighbors seeing ... Have it shipped to secure location. Then address it to the grow and have ups pick it up from secure non grow location then deliver to grow..
=D

Zealious

basicly send it to your self.

For exhausting. This is easy if you are going to use a carbon filter.. the best exhaust is a dryer hook up. the second best is the bathroom exhaust fan.. stay away from windows... but if you do have to use a window I recommend getting one of those cheap double window fans you can find at walmart.. then blinds in the window, shut the blinds tight.. then some thick black plastic 3mil + stapled all the way around the window box you want it to be air.. and light tight.. use silicone or tape to make it air tight.. and then cut a hole for your exhaust pipe.. keep window fan running 24 7. from the outside there is nothing suspicious about a window fan running. blowing out air.. and it will look like a dark room from the outside.

be very careful. know the rental laws in your state. some say 2 day notice before they can come in some dont. keep it stealthy.

Smoke68

Odor odor ODOR!!!! keep it smelling fresh and nobody is the wiser.
I like to make sure clean up or tear down can happen at ANY time on a moments notice!

Furley, I've never tried pond liner, but I ALWAYS suggest lining the floor with plastic. Could you explain pond liner a little? Is it fabric/plastic like a tarp or just thick plastic sheeting? Does it allow any water to pass through like a membrane or is it waterproof?