What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Massachusetts; 13th state to decriminilize small amounts of pot?

thekingofNY

Cannasseur
Kinda makes since for MA to get in on one of the first thirteen and all, given the history round' here.

This poll makes me very, very happy, however why the f**k did they only poll 400 people? I guess if it was literally state wide, it's sort of enough, by why couldn't they have done 1000? Does anyone know what the direct effect on growing would be? Wouldn't the states growing laws become unconstitutional, or at least to the point of having up to an oz of pot growing?? Perpetually I want to say I could do that, maybe, but id prob have more than half that dried on hand at any given time headstash... either way its a step in the right direction I guess.

The old people they polled make me very happy, as those were some of the ones I worry about, I now firmly believe those 20% are soccer moms....

about 4:20 on the boston common last saturday, nice cloud eh?

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=7688

Boston, MA: Nearly three out of four Massachusetts voters support a statewide ballot initiative that seeks to decriminalize the possession and use of small amounts of cannabis by persons age 18 or older, according to a Channel 7 News/Suffolk University poll of 400 registered voters.

Seventy-one percent of respondents said that they would vote "yes" on the November ballot measure, which would replace criminal penalties for the possession of up to one ounce of marijuana with a civil fine of no more than $100. Only 22 percent of respondents opposed the proposal.

Among respondents over 65 years of age, 70 percent said they backed decriminalization.

The strong poll numbers indicate that the measure "is all but certain" to pass in November, the poll's authors declared in a press release.

If voters approve the measure this fall, Massachusetts would be the first state to enact the decriminalization of marijuana since Nevada's legislature did so in 2001 and the first to do so by voter initiative.

Currently, twelve states have enacted versions of marijuana decriminalization -replacing criminal sanctions with fine-only penalties for minor pot violators.

Michigan voters will also decide on a separate statewide initiative this November that seeks to legalize the medical use of cannabis for qualified patients. If enacted, Michigan will become the thirteenth state since 1996 to authorize the legal use of medical cannabis, and the ninth state to do so by voter initiative.

For more information, please contact NORML Executive Director Allen St. Pierre at (202) 483-5500, or visit the Committee for Sensible Marijuana Policy.

hererisssh

Cultivation of MJ and possession are entirely different things in the eyes of LEO and the public at large it seems. This bill is a great step forward, but it's just that. Lawmakers tired of their kids being busted?

thekingofNY

Cannasseur
hererisssh said:
Cultivation of MJ and possession are entirely different things in the eyes of LEO and the public at large it seems. This bill is a great step forward, but it's just that. Lawmakers tired of their kids being busted?

I have heard long before this bill was introduced, MJ in general is viewed by LE in this state very differently than others I have lived in.... as we have this wonderful heroin and opiate problem. People get shot nearly every day, good times. No not really good times, but it works out well for us pot smokers as the cops realize pot does not equal heroin at all...

Regardless, back to my original question, so your growing 1 or 2 clones perpetually (1 in flower, 1 in veg), you never have more than an oz or so of good bud? Maybe 2, I'd wage a bet ur average MA resident would see no problem w/that and neither would a cop. Sure they might take it, but I highly doubt it since it removes the black market, people are strangely logical and reasonable here compared to other places I have lived. Maybe its got something to do with them letting the gheys procreate and marry?? (Disclaimer: king has no problem with the gheys at all, they amuse him and he accepted it when he moved here, however he still catches himself staring sometimes.... but only for the lesbians) :laughing:

In kings opinion, a giant part of the gay rights movement was states rights and civil rights, this would be a perfect place for them to challenge our federal government on this, (the legality of MJ in general or rather it being a states right issue as it gay marriage, the federal government hasnt interferred with that?)... we have a bunch of great laws schools n lawyers, doctors, and professionals willing to stand out and support it...

Anyways, after this law passes, what if ur only growing one plant and its just a baby, say 2 weeks old, there is no way in hell they could weigh that at over an oz, well I mean they could try, but via a jury of your peers, or the judge would likely just throw that case out I would think...

I didnt think they could have a civil and criminal law overlap each other like this.... for example, ur 10 gram plant dries and cures, u get rid of the dirt and it becomes non criminal????

Or maybe this is just really the FIRST step.... baby steps eh? to get the public to think about this long and hard and realize 1oz is no different than a few plants int he closet, as long as u are not selling, legalize that in a few years?

:rant:

hererisssh

thekingofNY said:
Maybe 2, I'd wage a bet ur average MA resident would see no problem w/that and neither would a cop.
I really want to believe that's true.

thekingofNY said:
maybe this is just really the FIRST step.... baby steps eh? to get the public to think about this long and hard and realize 1oz is no different than a few plants int he closet, as long as u are not selling, legalize that in a few years
That's what I'm saying. So much of the money has come from people outside of mass that I think the gay marriage issues solidified mass as one of the states of choice to really get the ball rolling.

bentom187

Veteran
i hope this shit is true not just some tease,how do we vote for this? would this be simillar to laws inj CA? like we would need medical cards or somthin
im a little confused

bentom187 said:
i hope this shit is true not just some tease,how do we vote for this? would this be simillar to laws inj CA? like we would need medical cards or somthin
im a little confused
It's decriminalization, medical laws are a bit different. If this passes and you were walking down the street with a 1/8th bag and for some reason a cop searches you and finds it, you would just get a small fine instead of criminal charges. At least that's how I understand it.

Last edited:

hererisssh

bentom187 said:
im a little confused
spindlywicket nailed it on the head. Lets not be flippant though (I'm sure you didn't mean it this way spindly) and say "It's just decriminalization." I'm sure you meant "It's decriminalization", which of course is a huge deal by itself.

This law allows a civil fined to be levied against a person found in the possession of an ounce or less of MJ of no more than $100. I'd call this a huge breakthrough for citizens of Mass and visitors. Compared to what could happen if you were caught by an asshole LEO in a bad mood or one that didn't like the "looks" of you it's monumental.

If you live in Mass you better be telling everyone you can to vote for this ballot question. This is a chance to be an activist without the perceived dangers of normal activism against MJ prohibition. Opportunities like this are rare. If you're reading this VOTE yes on question 2 on November 4th, 2008. The last day to register to vote is 10/04/2008.

Don't vote? Don't complain when you or your friends or family members get busted for nothing.

BTW: I'd like to thank thekingofNY for starting this thread and for the nice pic of the commons

Last edited:

bentom187

Veteran
ok im gonna vote,is this during the presidential ecections?well ill always have about a Oz on me no point in getting 100 dollar fine for a dime haha

hererisssh said:
spindlywicket nailed it on the head. Lets not be flippant though (I'm sure you didn't mean it this way spindly) and say "It's just decriminalization." I'm sure you meant "It's decriminalization", which of course is a huge deal by itself.
Of course. I didnt mean to make it sound unimportant. Post edited accordingly.

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
I'm not convinced that its a sure thing, but it could happen and I will be voting. it would be nice to see an add on tv or radio about it but nada.

thekingofNY

Cannasseur
Deft said:
I'm not convinced that its a sure thing, but it could happen and I will be voting. it would be nice to see an add on tv or radio about it but nada.

Huh? Did u not get the thing in the mail last week or the other day about our 3 ballot questions? Its number 2 and talks about it in great detail.... Another key thing someone left out, and MA did specifically is said no owns or jurisidctions (if this passes), could impose ANY greater penalty for simple possesion, as well as not hold it against students for any other purposes (financial aid, college etc)

The voters already legalized pot once back in 2002 or 03 or 04? I dont remember, but it wasnt a binding vote question, regardless i wana say like 60% then voted for it... this time the vote is binding.

This is a BAD law. It looks good until you read the part that says it applies to any metabolized thc in any part of the body, hair, sweat, urine, nails, skin, or any other body tissue. So now it's a $100 tax if they find out we've ever smoked within the years that our hair holds the history of. I'm willing to bet they're going to pass another law making it far easier to drug test, especially on the spot at a traffic stop. Never think that laws which appear good are completely good, you have to read every part of it.

L

Lilly456

Mass is strangely liberal and conservative at the same time.Sometimes we're so far left we're right.Several towns in my area have decriminalized already they say they're too busy to bother with pot.My friend got pc'd for being drunk and had six joints in his ash tray.When he picked up his truck the next day, they were still there.3 towns south of here he would have been in court.I'll believe it when I see it, lets hope for the best. Chaco. :joint: :joint:

im looking foward to voting this year for my first time and what way to start off my vote. its question number 2 on this years poll in mass. also hempfest was great this year and the guys runnin the high times stand kep giving us free shit.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Crazy~Lazy said:
This is a BAD law. It looks good until you read the part that says it applies to any metabolized thc in any part of the body, hair, sweat, urine, nails, skin, or any other body tissue. So now it's a $100 tax if they find out we've ever smoked within the years that our hair holds the history of. I'm willing to bet they're going to pass another law making it far easier to drug test, especially on the spot at a traffic stop. Never think that laws which appear good are completely good, you have to read every part of it.

I guess they want to keep the name , taxachusetts

zlock

I'm registering to vote for this one question only. And the last day to send in your state registration card is oct 15 according to the thing I got in the mail...

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
I remember getting a registration reminder but maybe I missed part of it.

H

herbal essences

All I know is Ive been telling everyone I see to vote, and I'll be the first one at the polls to vote!