What's new

Viparspectra?

bouvia

Hello all. Does any one have any experience using viparspecra leds? I got par700 unit and wondered what's the best way to use it ie. Height veg and flower and spectrum setings. Thanks for help

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
LEDS ?

LEDS ?

I've got a Vipraspectra 600 and 90 watt RED LED in my flower box (3X4X7) flowering now and they are looking OK. 15 inches from the light.

I have a Vipraspectra 450 in my 2X2x5 VEG tent. 20 inches from the top.

It's a summer test as it's too hot to run HPS.

Still trying to dial it in. I'm growing Pre-98 Bubba and it's a slow grower. I might try something else.

Any advice would be appreciated:party:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=343827

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
we tried some of verdant greens fem's bubba... slow growing is putting it mildly- I thought the 1st seed was a runt, and the 2nd and the 3rd... he replied back they are slow growing... haha...

as to vipar... we bought '3' of their 300watters- to try going into last summer- was not impressed at all- I know they are cheap, but thought '3' in a 4ftx3.5ft tent would give suff lite..they grew... but slow... I gave em away...

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
:biggrin:The plants that grew slow under the vipar, were they the same seeds u got from verdant?:biggrin:

no the plants we were growing were not verdants... the fellow i gave the vipar's to is using 2 of them in a closet to veg some plants- he says they seem to be better then the 8bulb/4ft fluor's he has been using...

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Slow but nice nugs...

Slow but nice nugs...

I'll take down the Pre-98 Bubbas this weekend then I'll cut, dry and weight.

These are my Bubbas from clone, which have been slow growing anyway.

:plant grow: Might have to change genetics?

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I'll take down the Pre-98 Bubbas this weekend then I'll cut, dry and weight.

These are my Bubbas from clone, which have been slow growing anyway.
:plant grow: Might have to change genetics?

our bubba were maybe 1ft tall, while our chem's/ssh's/others were 5+ft tall- they were all put in 12/12 at the same time, and were close to the same size when put in 12/12... just that the bubba's are real
s l o w to grow, and the yield sucked- the bud was ok, not great... if it was wacky weed even with the meager production, would have kept her, but she ended up as compost...

saitama

Vipar will grow and the quality will be good but the light output is not there, so you will not get a good yield. They are using very old technology. I would spend a few extra bucks and buy a DIY kit somewhere. If you aren't able to build one and a fixture is out of your budget, I would suggest a 315w CMH over a vipar.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
A hobby light?

A hobby light?

Cut and dried - 70 grams, Pre-98 Bubba cuts

Vipraspectra 600 and LED RED 90 watts actual.

I'm not impressed, I'll give it another try with a faster growing variety

:party:

saitama

Cut and dried - 70 grams, Pre-98 Bubba cuts

Vipraspectra 600 and LED RED 90 watts actual.

I'm not impressed, I'll give it another try with a faster growing variety

:party:

I honestly don't think it's the strain and more so the quantity of light. I wish I could take par readings of those fixtures.

TheReverend

Vipar will grow and the quality will be good but the light output is not there, so you will not get a good yield. They are using very old technology. I would spend a few extra bucks and buy a DIY kit somewhere. If you aren't able to build one and a fixture is out of your budget, I would suggest a 315w CMH over a vipar.

It is possible that people are just using 2x900s when 2 1200s would be better. I think I'm going to try 3 - 1200w Vipar per tray (3,600 total/4x8) and see what we get... hoping for the best :dance013:

saitama

Maybe good in a school dorm room :plant grow: in a shoebox

:laughing::laughing:

It is possible that people are just using 2x900s when 2 1200s would be better. I think I'm going to try 3 - 1200w Vipar per tray (3,600 total/4x8) and see what we get... hoping for the best :dance013:

I would be interested in seeing this as well as how much power those three fixtures are actually consuming from the wall.

Those "900" and "1200" numbers are completely irrelevant when it comes to LEDs -- they're just there for marketing. Those numbers are the reason why LEDs got a bad name in the first place.

The numbers that really matter are PAR measurements at micromoles per second (umols). Any LED worth its money will have specs showing how many umols they are outputting at a given distance as well as per meter squared (PPFD).

One of the most important things when it comes to LED is efficiency. viparspectras might as well be low power HPS lamps, which is how they perform. Sure, less have less heat due to no IR, but the light output is the same or worse -- they are old tech. The reason I say this is because of their efficiency. Efficiency is measured in micromoles per watt or joule used (umol/j). Essentially, how many umols are output per watt consumed at the wall.

The most efficient HPS on the market is the Gavita DE at 1.87umols/j. The top LEDs on the market are running 2.3+ umols/j, which is why people run LED. You get more light per wall-watt....and that costs money.

viparspectras have no measurements at all, and I'd he surprised if a "900w" produced the same PPFD as a 600w HPS.

Here are some links for explanation on all the jargon I just used.

PAR, PPFD, PPF: https://fluence.science/science/par-ppf-ppfd-dli/

Efficiency and efficacy: https://gpnmag.com/article/plant-lighting-efficiency-and-efficacy-μmol·j-¹/

TheReverend

:laughing::laughing:

I would be interested in seeing this as well as how much power those three fixtures are actually consuming from the wall.

Those "900" and "1200" numbers are completely irrelevant when it comes to LEDs -- they're just there for marketing. Those numbers are the reason why LEDs got a bad name in the first place.

The numbers that really matter are PAR measurements at micromoles per second (umols). Any LED worth its money will have specs showing how many umols they are outputting at a given distance as well as per meter squared (PPFD).

One of the most important things when it comes to LED is efficiency. viparspectras might as well be low power HPS lamps, which is how they perform. Sure, less have less heat due to no IR, but the light output is the same or worse -- they are old tech. The reason I say this is because of their efficiency. Efficiency is measured in micromoles per watt or joule used (umol/j). Essentially, how many umols are output per watt consumed at the wall.

The most efficient HPS on the market is the Gavita DE at 1.87umols/j. The top LEDs on the market are running 2.3+ umols/j, which is why people run LED. You get more light per wall-watt....and that costs money.

viparspectras have no measurements at all, and I'd he surprised if a "900w" produced the same PPFD as a 600w HPS.

Here are some links for explanation on all the jargon I just used.

PAR, PPFD, PPF: https://fluence.science/science/par-ppf-ppfd-dli/

Efficiency and efficacy: https://gpnmag.com/article/plant-lighting-efficiency-and-efficacy-μmol·j-¹/

Thanks for the very detailed reply.

I understand what you're saying and while I don't disagree in the least, apparently these lights have been giving some users a real nice return. From the posts with pics (a few are VERY impressive), they seem to be working out, even if the efficiency isn't the greatest.

saitama

Thanks for the very detailed reply.

I understand what you're saying and while I don't disagree in the least, apparently these lights have been giving some users a real nice return. From the posts with pics (a few are VERY impressive), they seem to be working out, even if the efficiency isn't the greatest.

Interested in some links! Please share if you can.

At that point, isn't it a little counter productive?

TheReverend

Interested in some links! Please share if you can.

At that point, isn't it a little counter productive?

True... I guess it depends on how you look at. See in my case, I got 6 1200 Vipars for about $1,400 (total). So it's worth it to try them out for one run and see how it goes. Even if I end up being down $5,8,1k in yield, I can sell the lights and get my money back out of the Vipars and move on.

I'll only post a couple links to a thread on this board, but you can google search and find tons of images and videos from others using Vipars with good to great results... at least IMHO.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7973553&postcount=68

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7974045&postcount=72

saitama

True... I guess it depends on how you look at. See in my case, I got 6 1200 Vipars for about $1,400 (total). So it's worth it to try them out for one run and see how it goes. Even if I end up being down $5,8,1k in yield, I can sell the lights and get my money back out of the Vipars and move on.

I'll only post a couple links to a thread on this board, but you can google search and find tons of images and videos from others using Vipars with good to great results... at least IMHO.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7973553&postcount=68

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7974045&postcount=72

Those are nice looking buds, but they do seem to be lacking in the weight dept, IMHO. Here is a pic from my own grow with a 640w COB LED fixture in a 4x4. I'm not sure if you can tell a difference, but I believe there is merit to going with higher quality, full spectrum LED. Not trying to bag on your setup at all bro, just here to help and try to educate people away from spending money on these types of fixtures. More power to you if you want to run them and are successful. Good luck! Would love to see your progress if you start a thread. PM it to me!

ClDmNNE.jpg

ECCcyx1.jpg

TheReverend

Those are nice looking buds, but they do seem to be lacking in the weight dept, IMHO. Here is a pic from my own grow with a 640w COB LED fixture in a 4x4. I'm not sure if you can tell a difference, but I believe there is merit to going with higher quality, full spectrum LED. Not trying to bag on your setup at all bro, just here to help and try to educate people away from spending money on these types of fixtures. More power to you if you want to run them and are successful. Good luck! Would love to see your progress if you start a thread. PM it to me!

View Image

View Image

Nice work man! That bud looks about as good as it gets.

I'll check out your grow thread(s).

What lights are you running? You're in soil with a drip system?

saitama

Nice work man! That bud looks about as good as it gets.

I'll check out your grow thread(s).

What lights are you running? You're in soil with a drip system?

I'll PM you the details so I don't muddy the waters more than I already have.

Shiza - I noticed that you don't have PM capabilities yet. Just hit up my thread and ask all the questions you want. All the stuff I run is documented there anyway. I'd start with 'previous'