What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pale green starts in CANNA coco?

Hey gang,

I transplanted my clones into coco 5 days ago. I am using fresh coco from the CANNA bricks, which I rehydrated with a 5 mL per gallon solution of the Coco A and B. Upon transplant, I watered to significant runoff with 5 mL per gallon of A and B, and 15 mL per gallon of the rhizotonic. I balanced the pH of each solution to 5.7.

Now, five days later, they are growing, but they are pale green in color. What gives, and what should I do about it? Thanks.

FK

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sounds like they were water logged , let them dry out a bit before watering agian . but pics would really help us to help you .

Thanks as always for the quick replies...

I have grown in peat for the last 10 years, and this is my first full grow with coco. They are in 5 gallon nominal (actually 3.5 gallon) pots, the same as I've always done in peat. I haven't watered/fed since transplant, and the media seems pretty "dry," compared to peat, anyway... the pots are still fairly heavy, though, so it hasn't dried out completely.

Anyway, here's some pics. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 20160503_121618.jpg
    20160503_121618.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20160503_121634.jpg
    20160503_121634.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20160503_121645.jpg
    20160503_121645.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 14

maimunji

I followed advice from grower in this site and after transplant I watering my plants in coco every day to run off im in hand water and I no longer believe coco can be overwatering. In my meter 5a 5b per gallon give me around 500 ppm including tap water 150 ppm and silica at 50 ppm so around 300-350 only a&b thats around 0.6 0.7 e.c from basic and 1.0 e.c total. I feed now at 700 ppm clonings just put roots and they look pale green and want more. I read how people feed canna coco at 200 ppm in veg and this is enough for them but I can't believe.

I followed advice from grower in this site and after transplant I watering my plants in coco every day to run off im in hand water and I no longer believe coco can be overwatering. In my meter 5a 5b per gallon give me around 500 ppm including tap water 150 ppm and silica at 50 ppm so around 300-350 only a&b thats around 0.6 0.7 e.c from basic and 1.0 e.c total. I feed now at 700 ppm clonings just put roots and they look pale green and want more. I read how people feed canna coco at 200 ppm in veg and this is enough for them but I can't believe.

I thought I'd read in the coco sticky that it's good to let it dry out after transplant for root development. I think you may be right, though, I think they're hungry, certainly look it to me.

maimunji

How much plants there? With 3.5 g pots are you looking for trees? I like trees. How much is grow space? Coco isn't like peat don't need big pots from what I read.

Last edited:
N

noyd666

mine are in canna coco n get fed 1.2 straight off. more feed. just water small amount in of higher ec, no need to flood , just get them going, will take off.

EastCoast710

treat kinda like soil until the roots take hold is how i treat my coco clones.. with 0 issues now... first grow in coco was like that.. since then no problems..

doob

If they look fine other than colour, underfed or lights to penetrating for them, raise it

How much plants there? With 3.5 g pots are you looking for trees? I like trees. How much is grow space? Coco isn't like peat don't need big pots from what I read.

Haha, no, not growing trees. Most of it is Indica, in fact (Aurora Indica from Nirvana), so they'll probably end up being 2 feet tall. I used the big pots because that's what I had. :) It's not going to hurt any, at least, but I may waste a lot of nutrients. We'll see. Good to know you've read you can use smaller pots, thanks for that!

FK

mine are in canna coco n get fed 1.2 straight off. more feed. just water small amount in of higher ec, no need to flood , just get them going, will take off.

Forgot to check the EC, but I fed them yesterday with 10 mL/gallon A and B, 8 mL per gallon Rhizo and 1/2 tsp per gallon ProTekt silica (does anyone else use silica in their feed? I figured I'd give it a try since I had an old bottle lying around).

The EC out was around 1.4. I didn't forget to check that.

FK

treat kinda like soil until the roots take hold is how i treat my coco clones.. with 0 issues now... first grow in coco was like that.. since then no problems..

Yeah, that's what I thought. Now that they are properly fed, that's how I'm going to treat it. Although, my hydro guy (who has a lot of experience with coco) says he's never done it that way, and gets good results. Once I get it dialed in, I'll do a side by side to see the difference. Still trying to work out the kinks now, though, so not this grow.

If they look fine other than colour, underfed or lights to penetrating for them, raise it

Shouldn't be lights, they were about 3' to 4' above them for the first 5 days. I agree, they look hungry, so I fed them with a good shot of A and B today, time will tell. Thanks!

FK

N

noyd666

Forgot to check the EC, but I fed them yesterday with 10 mL/gallon A and B, 8 mL per gallon Rhizo and 1/2 tsp per gallon ProTekt silica (does anyone else use silica in their feed? I figured I'd give it a try since I had an old bottle lying around).

The EC out was around 1.4. I didn't forget to check that.

FK

picture.php

maimunji

Yes I use silica full dose at every water. I start to see difference only when I supercrop. Stem repair faster can't see other difference. I can recommend you if is not too late remove them from this big pots and transplant them in 6 ltr. pots if you not looking for trees there is no need that big pots. Im in 7 ltr pots and two plant easily can cover 4x4.

Yes I use silica full dose at every water. I start to see difference only when I supercrop. Stem repair faster can't see other difference. I can recommend you if is not too late remove them from this big pots and transplant them in 6 ltr. pots if you not looking for trees there is no need that big pots. Im in 7 ltr pots and two plant easily can cover 4x4.

I'm just going to run it as is. Seems like a major hassle to go to smaller pots now. I used the next size down on my trial round (maybe 2.5 gallon), and the roots definitely filled them, no problem. Tight root balls on each plant, even using Cannazym as recommended. I'll give you first "told you so" if shit goes wrong, deal? :)

Latest posts

Latest posts