What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

toxic masculinity

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
no such thing, nice try though

Yet it has been substantiated academically, scientifically and institutionally. Your argument has not.

The depth and wealth of information on the topic is overwhelming and from every lens.

You should try reading something than your own feelings on the matter. I can pony up 1000s of references when you are ready to put your money where your mouth is.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0191308509000239

The existence of implicit bias is beyond reasonable doubt: A refutation of ideological and methodological objections and executive summary of ten studies that no manager should ignore

In this article, we respond at length to recent critiques of research on implicit bias, especially studies using the Implicit Association Test (IAT). Tetlock and Mitchell (2009) claim that “there is no evidence that the IAT reliably predicts class-wide discrimination on tangible outcomes in any setting,” accuse their colleagues of violating “the injunction to separate factual from value judgments,” adhering blindly to a “statist interventionist” ideology, and of conducting a witch-hunt against implicit racists, sexists, and others. These and other charges are specious. Far from making “extraordinary claims” that “require extraordinary evidence,” researchers have identified the existence and consequences of implicit bias through well-established methods based upon principles of cognitive psychology that have been developed in nearly a century's worth of work. We challenge the blanket skepticism and organizational complacency advocated by Tetlock and Mitchell and summarize 10 recent studies that no manager (or managerial researcher) should ignore. These studies reveal that students, nurses, doctors, police officers, employment recruiters, and many others exhibit implicit biases with respect to race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, social status, and other distinctions. Furthermore—and contrary to the emphatic assertions of the critics—participants’ implicit associations do predict socially and organizationally significant behaviors, including employment, medical, and voting decisions made by working adults

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
RIF Reading is Fundamental

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1364661311000167

Implicit social cognition: from measures to mechanisms

Most human cognition occurs outside conscious awareness or conscious control. Some of these implicit processes influence social perception, judgment and action. The past 15 years of research in implicit social cognition can be characterized as the Age of Measurement because of a proliferation of measurement methods and research evidence demonstrating their practical value for predicting human behavior. Implicit measures assess constructs that are distinct, but related, to self-report assessments, and predict variation in behavior that is not accounted for by those explicit measures. The present state of knowledge provides a foundation for the next age of implicit social cognition: clarification of the mechanisms underlying implicit measurement and how the measured constructs influence behavior.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
its funny how 9 out of 10 woman will still pick the masculine looking man rather then the puny cuck man. they still want a man to be a man when it comes to finding a partner, but they wine about toxic masculinity which is another of these stupid terms that abuse the english language. woman might think they want a weak male thatthey can tell what to do, but they leave those relationships for masculine looking and acting complete bastards, over and over again. i wonder why?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
you forgot the oakleys

View Image

did you ask all those people if they want to have their pics posted on a weed site as examples of toxic masculinity?

do you know even 1 of those people, to make such toxic judgements about them?

if you want men to be less manly, then maybe woman should start dating the dorks etc. untill they do, shut the fuck up about toxic masculinity. do you even know how toxic a female can be in a relationship?

we are not supposed to generalize about crazy woman, but they can do it about men all day? why? how does that make sense?

if someone is a toxic mofo just call him a toxic mofo, or bastard, or what ever.

why do you have to drag every male on the planet into 1 mans bad behaivior? don't people bother using their brain anymore ffs.

generalizing is bad mmm'okay!

we shouldn't do it to anyone if we don't want it done to us. don't generalize about blacks, don't generalize about muslims, don't generalize about gays, don't generalize about woman, but yep men are fair game, toxic mofos. how the fuch does that make sense? and if it doesn't, why use the devisive term in the first place.?

words are important, by adobting these idiotic contradictory and agressive and devisive terms you are adding to the problems not solving them.

its all about devide them and yee shall rule them and you all are playing right into the ruling elites hands with these distractions from the real important issues in the world.

T

Teddybrae

You are well informed! I have been told by a Preacher who lived there (and married a local Woman) that the idea of child sex abuse does not exist in PNG.
i can't imagine being a female in a place like afghanistan or friggin papua new guinea?!... there's third world countries where women are still completely treated as being property and completely subhuman. scary.

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
saying "masculinity is not toxic" to the phrase "toxic masculinity" is like saying "cars are not blue" to the phrase "blue cars".

i'm not trying to put forth the idea that all men are toxic or that no women are toxic;

but i certainly see many aspects of society and culture that are toxic. and one is the machisimo sexual harassment rape culture bullshit that movies, tv, etc love to portray as harmless.

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
You are well informed! I have been told by a Preacher who lived there (and married a local Woman) that the idea of child sex abuse does not exist in PNG.
i've read that like half of men there have admitted in polls to comitting rape. i wonder how many don't even admit it...

T

Teddybrae

Nice to hear you have feelings. That was your anger demonstrated ... was it? Just wondering if you actually understood my post? "... racist youth", "... inner demons", "... labeling other white people"? Sounds like a Fundamentalist upbringing to me.
I read your post and puked into my own mouth...keep your racism to yourself and stop projecting that crap onto the rest of us...if your a racist that is fine, punish yourself..but fuck the hell off labeling other white people for your own inner feelings... gaslighting is a trend I see so much today...racist youth pushing their own inner demons onto others..

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
^^^ thanks for your valued input, treevly!

anyhoo...

https://thenib.com/toxic-masculinity/

here's an interesting perspective, in comic form.

a portrayal of "toxic masculinity" from the viewpoint of a dude that's the victim of such culture.

it took me a good chunk of my life to realize how stupid it was to try and hide behind a facade of toughness

T

Teddybrae

(Strange how talking about Men and their Privilege has brought such a reaction in these pages.)

This gender inequity, whatever we want to call it, began when humankind lived in caves. (At least that is what White History teaches.)

At that time the strongest males would catch the most food. Thus the strongest males were the ones considered best at survival and thus breeding. Obvious really.

Lots of time has gone by since, but it's only relatively recently that Society has thought about the genders as having equality.

The way we think, the way we have been conditioned, is by the past where inequity was the norm. The PAST is always here.

So today Mothers still teach their Daughters how to be attractive, Fathers still praise Daughters for being attractive. Because ... attractive young women have the best chance of breeding and survival if they look good. (Mmmm ... sees Big breasts. Hmmm ... thinks Breeding.)

Similarly Mothers make male chauvinist pigs out of their sons by treating them with Privilege. That is not such a bad idea for her because one day perhaps that Son will provide for his ageing Mother. Makes sense in terms of Survival.

Further in regard to male privilege, present day Social Science recognises the "Golden Child". Most often HE will be told he is unique, privileged, wonderful ... the implication being that HE will save both Parents in their old age.

For those privileged ones, there is a sense of entitlement. (I have it. I was Golden Child. My Sister who is quite mad now was made to make my bed as part of her daily chores!) I was entitled to swan around our home doing sweet fuck all.

So where I 'm going with this is that both Genders are locked into their behaviour and perpetuate that ancient behaviour AUTOMATICALLY. That is, Parents raise their children without thinking, or much thought, of Equity .

Seems to me we are locked into a Timeless Loop of Social Conditioning.

And this also applies to the way we treat Others with black skin.

i've read that like half of men there have admitted in polls to comitting rape. i wonder how many don't even admit it...

'Boogieman'

Toxic masculinity lol, guarantee a 30+ year old virgin came up with this one. Women want a real man not some 140lb antifa punk.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I've read a fair number of this man's comments on a fair number of these toxic political threads the past few months...

I'm not sure if Europe will extradite this man to our country at my request, but if they will:

I nominate gaiusmarius for President of the United States...:biggrin:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
saying "masculinity is not toxic" to the phrase "toxic masculinity" is like saying "cars are not blue" to the phrase "blue cars".

i'm not trying to put forth the idea that all men are toxic or that no women are toxic;

but i certainly see many aspects of society and culture that are toxic. and one is the machisimo sexual harassment rape culture bullshit that movies, tv, etc love to portray as harmless.

care to expand on the logic there? or do we just accept your word for it? is it toxic masculinity to protect your nation from invasion? is it toxic masculinity to stop a robbery or a rape. or to put out a fire, work for your family, protect your family etc, there are many positive masculine traits, just like there are negative masculine traits.

by calling toxic behaiviour toxic masculinity you are just being devisive and you achieve nothing good other then virtue signaling to the insane twiterati and those following in their footsteps.

at this rate femininity will be histerical, masculinity toxic, white people racist, black people crime prone and so on. don't you get it that makeing generalizations about whole groups is "problematic"?

we have words for rapists, gropers, perverts, mysoginists, and so on, use the correct word for the bahaivior. stop inventing terms that insult whole groups based on their organs ffs. you people want to take us backwards it seems.

unless it really is just about being devisive, then go right ahead, good job i guess.

every man or woman and anyone else is responsible for THEIR own actions. using that stupid, insulting and devisive term is putting all men in 1 basket, whether they be toxic or not, solely based on their cocks! how insane is that? how backward? where is individual responsibility in this kind of thinking?

Latest posts

Latest posts