Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > Why haven't my buds grown properly?

Thread Title Search
Post Reply
Why haven't my buds grown properly? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2018, 03:42 PM #1
ChenBenTz
Member

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 337
ChenBenTz will become famous soon enoughChenBenTz will become famous soon enough
Why haven't my buds grown properly?

I did everything right this time and they still came out loose and airy.

1000w HPS, DWC SCroG w/H&G nutes. 8 weeks flowering.

Kept the temperature perfectly - 25C at the leaves and 20C at the roots.

No bugs, no diseases, no light leak, no pH issues.

And yet, absolutely terrible buds.

I feel like I want to give up.








ChenBenTz is offline Quote


Old 12-15-2018, 04:11 PM #2
Cvh
Senior Member

Cvh's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: West-EU
Posts: 1,222
Cvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant future
I see that some leaves are clawing. Looks a bit overfed to me. The excess N during flowering might be the reason your buds stretched.
__________________
The gardener that grows plants between the rocks shall be King. ~ Author unknown

Cvh is offline Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:14 PM #3
Oliver Pantsoff
Senior Member

Oliver Pantsoff's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Guantanamo Bay
Posts: 1,219
Oliver Pantsoff is a name known to allOliver Pantsoff is a name known to allOliver Pantsoff is a name known to allOliver Pantsoff is a name known to allOliver Pantsoff is a name known to allOliver Pantsoff is a name known to allOliver Pantsoff is a name known to allOliver Pantsoff is a name known to allOliver Pantsoff is a name known to allOliver Pantsoff is a name known to allOliver Pantsoff is a name known to all
Have you ran this strain before? The airiness might be gene related...

OP
Oliver Pantsoff is offline Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:28 PM #4
ChenBenTz
Member

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 337
ChenBenTz will become famous soon enoughChenBenTz will become famous soon enough
I used less than the amount of nutes recommended on H&G's calculator. How would I control for N?

It's white widow. These are clones of relatively new regular female seeds but I don't see how the strain can be this bad. Is this really the max they can achieve?
ChenBenTz is offline Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:50 PM #5
Ignignokt
Guest

Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChenBenTz View Post
I used less than the amount of nutes recommended on H&G's calculator. How would I control for N?

It's white widow. These are clones of relatively new regular female seeds but I don't see how the strain can be this bad. Is this really the max they can achieve?
What do you mean 'this bad'?
They don't look too bad, just a bit over fertilized or too hot, they still look like they have a while before they are ripe
Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:51 PM #6
Douglas.Curtis
Senior Member

Douglas.Curtis's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Back in Colorado! Yaay!
Posts: 3,708
Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChenBenTz View Post
I used less than the amount of nutes recommended on H&G's calculator. How would I control for N?

It's white widow. These are clones of relatively new regular female seeds but I don't see how the strain can be this bad. Is this really the max they can achieve?
My personal take...

First of all, congratulations on growing a crop all the way to harvest. Many, many, many growers have failed the first run. Kudos! That being said, here's my to-the-point assessment to help with your next run.

Very over fed. My goal is to shoot for a medium to light green, without deficiencies showing. The absolute minimum food necessary for full and healthy growth.

25C at the leaves? I prefer 20C and 30%RH max. RH has to match temps, at 25C your RH should be around 60%'ish. Cool and dry grows resin rich cannabis plants, like the premium hash producing regions of the world. Hot and moist grows giant sized flowers with a lower resin content, like tropical plants.
Pick which method you're going to use and stick with it. The plants want the transpiration rate to stay high and consistent.

Zero fade. I'm assuming they were the same dark green color at harvest as the photos? Just awful with chlorophyll and excess nutrients. Once the flowers quit bulking up in size, I begin dropping the nutrient strength to meet their reduced needs. Keeping 'almost' enough nutrient strength (gradually reducing toward harvest) continues the draw of nutrients from the outer leaves.

By the time harvest comes, the res only needs swapped out for r/o about 5 days before it. This leaches the remaining mobile nutrients out of the plant. It should look something like this...
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote


Old 12-15-2018, 06:54 PM #7
axle2u
Member

axle2u's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: somewhere north of the 49th
Posts: 240
axle2u has a spectacular aura aboutaxle2u has a spectacular aura aboutaxle2u has a spectacular aura aboutaxle2u has a spectacular aura aboutaxle2u has a spectacular aura about
don't be discouraged, buddy !!
chin up....march forward, and conquer


been doin that, all my life


have a beer, smile....
you will get there....persistence always pays off


axle R. robot
Canada....


money for nothin', chicks for free...
axle2u is offline Quote


3 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:57 PM #8
axle2u
Member

axle2u's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: somewhere north of the 49th
Posts: 240
axle2u has a spectacular aura aboutaxle2u has a spectacular aura aboutaxle2u has a spectacular aura aboutaxle2u has a spectacular aura aboutaxle2u has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Pantsoff View Post
Have you ran this strain before? The airiness might be gene related...

OP




hey I aint no grow expert...


but damn....that is a fine-ass point you made there




axle robot
axle2u is offline Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:01 PM #9
axle2u
Member

axle2u's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: somewhere north of the 49th
Posts: 240
axle2u has a spectacular aura aboutaxle2u has a spectacular aura aboutaxle2u has a spectacular aura aboutaxle2u has a spectacular aura aboutaxle2u has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
My personal take...

First of all, congratulations on growing a crop all the way to harvest. Many, many, many growers have failed the first run. Kudos! That being said, here's my to-the-point assessment to help with your next run.

Very over fed. My goal is to shoot for a medium to light green, without deficiencies showing. The absolute minimum food necessary for full and healthy growth.

25C at the leaves? I prefer 20C and 30%RH max. RH has to match temps, at 25C your RH should be around 60%'ish. Cool and dry grows resin rich cannabis plants, like the premium hash producing regions of the world. Hot and moist grows giant sized flowers with a lower resin content, like tropical plants.
Pick which method you're going to use and stick with it. The plants want the transpiration rate to stay high and consistent.

Zero fade. I'm assuming they were the same dark green color at harvest as the photos? Just awful with chlorophyll and excess nutrients. Once the flowers quit bulking up in size, I begin dropping the nutrient strength to meet their reduced needs. Keeping 'almost' enough nutrient strength (gradually reducing toward harvest) continues the draw of nutrients from the outer leaves.

By the time harvest comes, the res only needs swapped out for r/o about 5 days before it. This leaches the remaining mobile nutrients out of the plant. It should look something like this...<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70975&pict ureid=1880999" target="_blank">View Image




nice...
solid feedback...


axle robot
axle2u is offline Quote


3 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:40 PM #10
gaiusmarius
Senior Member


gaiusmarius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 18,477
gaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivor
i would say you didnt do too badly, if you are not happy with the results, it' probably genetics. the plants really don't look unhappy, maybe a bit dark green as mr. Curtis pointed out.

how is the smoke? white widow isn't really specially compact, shes on the sativa leaning side of things. oh how i miss the white widow i had in the 90s, she was such a lovely lady and i knew her inside out. got over 1 gpw every time and only took 9 weeks to be fully ripe, 8 weeks at a pinch.
gaiusmarius is offline Quote


1 members found this post helpful.

Post Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:18 PM.




This site is for educational and entertainment purposes only.
You must be of legal age to view ICmag and participate here.
All postings are the responsibility of their authors.
Powered by: vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.