Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > Why haven't my buds grown properly?

Thread Title Search
Why haven't my buds grown properly? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2018, 03:42 PM #1
ChenBenTz

ChenBenTz will become famous soon enoughChenBenTz will become famous soon enough
Why haven't my buds grown properly?

I did everything right this time and they still came out loose and airy.

1000w HPS, DWC SCroG w/H&G nutes. 8 weeks flowering.

Kept the temperature perfectly - 25C at the leaves and 20C at the roots.

No bugs, no diseases, no light leak, no pH issues.

And yet, absolutely terrible buds.

I feel like I want to give up.

ChenBenTz is offline Quote

Old 12-15-2018, 04:11 PM #2
Cvh

Cvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant future
I see that some leaves are clawing. Looks a bit overfed to me. The excess N during flowering might be the reason your buds stretched.

Cvh is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:14 PM #3
Oliver Pantsoff

Oliver Pantsoff is a name known to allOliver Pantsoff is a name known to allOliver Pantsoff is a name known to allOliver Pantsoff is a name known to allOliver Pantsoff is a name known to allOliver Pantsoff is a name known to allOliver Pantsoff is a name known to allOliver Pantsoff is a name known to allOliver Pantsoff is a name known to allOliver Pantsoff is a name known to allOliver Pantsoff is a name known to all
Have you ran this strain before? The airiness might be gene related...

OP
Oliver Pantsoff is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:28 PM #4
ChenBenTz

ChenBenTz will become famous soon enoughChenBenTz will become famous soon enough
I used less than the amount of nutes recommended on H&G's calculator. How would I control for N?

It's white widow. These are clones of relatively new regular female seeds but I don't see how the strain can be this bad. Is this really the max they can achieve?
ChenBenTz is offline Quote

Old 12-15-2018, 04:50 PM #5
Ignignokt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChenBenTz View Post
I used less than the amount of nutes recommended on H&G's calculator. How would I control for N?

It's white widow. These are clones of relatively new regular female seeds but I don't see how the strain can be this bad. Is this really the max they can achieve?
What do you mean 'this bad'?
They don't look too bad, just a bit over fertilized or too hot, they still look like they have a while before they are ripe

Old 12-15-2018, 06:51 PM #6
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChenBenTz View Post

My personal take...

First of all, congratulations on growing a crop all the way to harvest. Many, many, many growers have failed the first run. Kudos! That being said, here's my to-the-point assessment to help with your next run.

Very over fed. My goal is to shoot for a medium to light green, without deficiencies showing. The absolute minimum food necessary for full and healthy growth.

25C at the leaves? I prefer 20C and 30%RH max. RH has to match temps, at 25C your RH should be around 60%'ish. Cool and dry grows resin rich cannabis plants, like the premium hash producing regions of the world. Hot and moist grows giant sized flowers with a lower resin content, like tropical plants.
Pick which method you're going to use and stick with it. The plants want the transpiration rate to stay high and consistent.

Zero fade. I'm assuming they were the same dark green color at harvest as the photos? Just awful with chlorophyll and excess nutrients. Once the flowers quit bulking up in size, I begin dropping the nutrient strength to meet their reduced needs. Keeping 'almost' enough nutrient strength (gradually reducing toward harvest) continues the draw of nutrients from the outer leaves.

By the time harvest comes, the res only needs swapped out for r/o about 5 days before it. This leaches the remaining mobile nutrients out of the plant. It should look something like this...
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 12-15-2018, 06:54 PM #7
axle2u

axle2u has a spectacular aura aboutaxle2u has a spectacular aura aboutaxle2u has a spectacular aura aboutaxle2u has a spectacular aura aboutaxle2u has a spectacular aura about
don't be discouraged, buddy !!
chin up....march forward, and conquer

been doin that, all my life

have a beer, smile....
you will get there....persistence always pays off

axle R. robot
Canada....

money for nothin', chicks for free...
axle2u is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:57 PM #8
axle2u

axle2u has a spectacular aura aboutaxle2u has a spectacular aura aboutaxle2u has a spectacular aura aboutaxle2u has a spectacular aura aboutaxle2u has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Pantsoff View Post
Have you ran this strain before? The airiness might be gene related...

OP

hey I aint no grow expert...

but damn....that is a fine-ass point you made there

axle robot
axle2u is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:01 PM #9
axle2u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
My personal take...

First of all, congratulations on growing a crop all the way to harvest. Many, many, many growers have failed the first run. Kudos! That being said, here's my to-the-point assessment to help with your next run.

Very over fed. My goal is to shoot for a medium to light green, without deficiencies showing. The absolute minimum food necessary for full and healthy growth.

25C at the leaves? I prefer 20C and 30%RH max. RH has to match temps, at 25C your RH should be around 60%'ish. Cool and dry grows resin rich cannabis plants, like the premium hash producing regions of the world. Hot and moist grows giant sized flowers with a lower resin content, like tropical plants.
Pick which method you're going to use and stick with it. The plants want the transpiration rate to stay high and consistent.

Zero fade. I'm assuming they were the same dark green color at harvest as the photos? Just awful with chlorophyll and excess nutrients. Once the flowers quit bulking up in size, I begin dropping the nutrient strength to meet their reduced needs. Keeping 'almost' enough nutrient strength (gradually reducing toward harvest) continues the draw of nutrients from the outer leaves.

By the time harvest comes, the res only needs swapped out for r/o about 5 days before it. This leaches the remaining mobile nutrients out of the plant. It should look something like this...<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70975&pict ureid=1880999" target="_blank">View Image

nice...
solid feedback...

axle robot
axle2u is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:40 PM #10
gaiusmarius

gaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivor
i would say you didnt do too badly, if you are not happy with the results, it' probably genetics. the plants really don't look unhappy, maybe a bit dark green as mr. Curtis pointed out.

how is the smoke? white widow isn't really specially compact, shes on the sativa leaning side of things. oh how i miss the white widow i had in the 90s, she was such a lovely lady and i knew her inside out. got over 1 gpw every time and only took 9 weeks to be fully ripe, 8 weeks at a pinch.
gaiusmarius is offline Quote