Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > I suck at cloning. That's not a question but this is

Thread Title Search
I suck at cloning. That's not a question but this is Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2018, 07:34 AM #271
Mengsk

Mengsk is a name known to allMengsk is a name known to allMengsk is a name known to allMengsk is a name known to allMengsk is a name known to allMengsk is a name known to allMengsk is a name known to allMengsk is a name known to allMengsk is a name known to allMengsk is a name known to allMengsk is a name known to all
In the spirit of 'open book' I guess rather I should have an actual grow log/journal, I think the temp in the bubble cloner was too high, still dipped them in h2o2 again and set to 75 F.

Have to get some cuttings going and so the tried and true:
Mengsk is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:52 PM #272
Goats

Goats has much to be proud ofGoats has much to be proud ofGoats has much to be proud ofGoats has much to be proud ofGoats has much to be proud ofGoats has much to be proud ofGoats has much to be proud ofGoats has much to be proud ofGoats has much to be proud ofGoats has much to be proud ofGoats has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
Since this thread got bumped yesterday, I'm going to throw this out here.

The wick cloner I made based on a DIY here on IC is documented with pictures earlier in this thread. I have had tremendous success with it going on two years now. A couple of the grand-kids came to visit two weeks ago while I had the cloner apart and drying outside. It became a toy, actually several toys - especially the wicks. Long and short of it...no more wick cloner.

Unfortunately I was also needing to cut clones as backup stock for the strains I commonly run. Not wanting to go to the store to build another cloner, I took two of the wife's food storage containers (she really is a good sport) and filled them with rinsed (still damp but not dripping) perlite. I cut the clones as detailed earlier in this thread and put them in the perlite. Then I poured in enough ph 6.0 water to just leave a slight (maybe 1/8 inch) layer of water on the bottom of the container when looking up through the clear bottom.

Today is the 12th day since they were planted and this is the result. I think I have just simplified my cloning even further:

View Image

View Image
i remember seeing a thread about this cloning method a few years ago and always thought it looked neat. seems to work great for you
Goats is online now Quote

Old 09-25-2018, 05:12 PM #273
starke

starke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud of
Today is day 13 since the beginning of this experiment and so far it is a failure. No sign of roots and two of the Skywalker Kush clones have leaves starting to fade from too much light. I don't think the medium temp is staying high enough, especially after the lights go out at night. Going to re-soak in Super Thrive and put them in the same trays on the heat mat and under the cover. Maybe the results there will be as before. We shall see in another two weeks.

“We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.” ~Robert Wilensky

"Spread the knowledge, be humble if you don't know, be helpful if you do, if you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically, and overgrow the world." (SuperWeed 2017)

"Always keep in mind that when the hearse pulls up to pick you up, there is no trunk or luggage rack on that bitch." (Author unknown)

My Ongoing Grow Diary: Paused

Real Gorilla Seeds Sour Orange Diesel Tester Grow: (Completed 2/5/19)

Tripleberry F2 Tester Grow: In Progress
starke is online now Quote

Old 09-25-2018, 05:29 PM #274
MrBungle

MrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud of
Why so many leaves on the cuttings? I like to leave just the top and maybe the top full set...

I think the cuttings are living off the reserves in those extra sets of leaves, not needing to root...

Maybe the heat mat will help, but I'd try and hold off on covering them up... If they got this far looking that healthy without a dome, they don't need that extra humidity to root. It is only helpful the first few days while the cuttings are acclimating in really adverse conditions, other than that they should be fine without a dome...
MrBungle is offline Quote

Old 09-25-2018, 05:45 PM #275
hush
Señor Member

hush has a brilliant futurehush has a brilliant futurehush has a brilliant futurehush has a brilliant futurehush has a brilliant futurehush has a brilliant futurehush has a brilliant futurehush has a brilliant futurehush has a brilliant futurehush has a brilliant futurehush has a brilliant future
In my humble opinion, too many people over-complicate cloning. It's supposed to be very easy for like 95% of all cannabis plants, and the other 5% are the ones that need a little help, maybe some hormones, maybe an aero-cloner, things like that.

After all the years I've been growing, having tried every possible way, experiments galore, every type of media... nothing is as effective and care-free as this thing:

They are sold everywhere imaginable, from Home Depot to Walmart to Dollar General to whatever the equivalents are in your country. They come with those expandable puck things which suck, so throw them immediately into your compost heap. Then go buy a bag of these:

Only take cuttings from smaller, pliable growth tips, rather than harder branches. No rooting hormones are necessary. Setup the jiffy greenhouse thingy and fill it with untreated tap water, don't even bother with pH or anything. Not necessary. Put it under dim lighting, preferably fluorescent. Open it up once a day and fan it out with your hand or something. If the room where the clones are is comfortable to you, then it's too cool for the clones. If you are *just* slightly a bit too warm, your clones are probably happy. Do you see lots of condensation on the dome? Maybe even forming big drops that are condensing and dripping off the ceiling of the dome and down the walls? Yep, it's a good environment. Do you only see a fine mist in there? Like a fog, but no real globbing of water drops anywhere? It's probably a bit too cool still, and it will take longer this way, so warm it up, or put a heating pad under the mini greenhouse.

Always take more cuttings than you need. If you can swing it, try to take double the desired number. 50% success rates in cloning are practically guaranteed using this method, and 75% or greater rates are easily attainable.

Less is more when it comes to cloning.

hush's hidey hole

hush is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:31 PM #276
cone

cone has a spectacular aura aboutcone has a spectacular aura aboutcone has a spectacular aura aboutcone has a spectacular aura aboutcone has a spectacular aura about
AP

Here's what I was talking about, The first & only time these have been opened since they were taken.
For lighting it's an HLG135 dimmed 60 inches above the plants.
Taken from a plant that was just over 10 day's flower, Surprised me tbh bud.

cone is offline Quote

Old 09-25-2018, 07:34 PM #277
cone

cone has a spectacular aura aboutcone has a spectacular aura aboutcone has a spectacular aura aboutcone has a spectacular aura aboutcone has a spectacular aura about
The top of another cutting

Altogether
cone is offline Quote

Old 09-25-2018, 08:36 PM #278
AgentPothead
Just this guy, ya know?

AgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah bro those root riots made me a believer in them. Highly impressed.
And honestly. My fuck ups turn to gold so much the thought of fuckin up don't even bother me. So I keep it auto when I'm stepping through a portal. I know that sounds strange but, strange beats normal.
AgentPothead is online now Quote

Old 09-26-2018, 12:58 AM #279
cone

I only did it because I haven't got enough room yet to put a propagato.
I love Rapid rooters but like rockwool just as much.

Want some pics bro? Exactly a week behind the pictures if.
cone is offline Quote

Old 09-26-2018, 01:10 AM #280
AgentPothead
Just this guy, ya know?

AgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond repute
Most def, more pics the merrier! I need to get some of my new setup but my lights turn off at 7pm and I been running around doing other shit the last week.
And honestly. My fuck ups turn to gold so much the thought of fuckin up don't even bother me. So I keep it auto when I'm stepping through a portal. I know that sounds strange but, strange beats normal.
AgentPothead is online now Quote