Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > Get Rid of Fungus Gnats For Good Using Mosquito Dunks

Thread Title Search
Get Rid of Fungus Gnats For Good Using Mosquito Dunks Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2009, 04:55 PM #1
LolaGal

Get Rid of Fungus Gnats For Good Using Mosquito Dunks

Fungus Gnats are a pain in the butt, and they can damage plants too!

Get rid of them by using Mosquito Dunks! Works like a charm!

Take a Mosquito Dunk and break off a piece. Crumble about 1/4 teaspoon on the top of each new pot of soil used in the grow.

Mosquito Dunk does not mind being dried out, still works fine.

The Dunk kills the damaging little gnats before they ever start flying. Once the cycle is broken with Dunk, then no more adults! No more breeding.

Since these little buggers come in potting soil bags, etc., make sure to always put some Dunk on ALL new soil brought into the grow. This will keep them from getting a start in your grow ever again.

Using Just Dunks, you can get rid of ALL the gnats in a couple weeks it takes to work. AND you can never have gnats in your grow again.

I have used this myself, works great, very easy and simple to do as well.

Hope this helps ya'll out.

35 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:58 PM #2
Bulldog11
Banned

Bulldog11 is a name known to allBulldog11 is a name known to allBulldog11 is a name known to allBulldog11 is a name known to allBulldog11 is a name known to allBulldog11 is a name known to allBulldog11 is a name known to allBulldog11 is a name known to allBulldog11 is a name known to allBulldog11 is a name known to allBulldog11 is a name known to all
Sounds great, however I don't know what a Mosquito dunk is. Also, does this work in hydro and soil?
Bulldog11 is offline Quote

0 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:04 PM #3
sns_stealth
Area 51 employee #28494038

sns_stealth will become famous soon enoughsns_stealth will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog11 View Post
Sounds great, however I don't know what a Mosquito dunk is. Also, does this work in hydro and soil?
google is your friend...lol

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=f&oq=&aqi=g10
sns_stealth is offline Quote

Old 10-25-2009, 05:05 PM #4
LolaGal

Mosquito Dunks are a product sold to keep skeeters out of ponds. They are designed to float in a pond for months.

They release some bacteria type stuff that kills off fungus gnats too, and it is organic and what not... no chemicals.

Works great in hydro or soil.

The gnat eats the Dunk, and then it's little gut explodes... Mwahahahaha.

No more gnats.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:06 PM #5
sns_stealth

sns_stealth will become famous soon enoughsns_stealth will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog11 View Post
google is your friend...lol

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=f&oq=&aqi=g10

thanks again lola

ADMIN: PLEASE Sticky this as its a very common problem.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:11 PM #6
Bulldog11
Banned

Bulldog11 is a name known to allBulldog11 is a name known to allBulldog11 is a name known to allBulldog11 is a name known to allBulldog11 is a name known to allBulldog11 is a name known to allBulldog11 is a name known to allBulldog11 is a name known to allBulldog11 is a name known to allBulldog11 is a name known to allBulldog11 is a name known to all
Thanks for clearing that up, and this sounds like a great idea. I sometimes get these fungi gnats and they piss me off. Good to know that there is a remedy. Thanks for the info
Bulldog11 is offline Quote

Old 10-25-2009, 05:19 PM #7
bong_chat

bong_chat will become famous soon enoughbong_chat will become famous soon enough
It's funny this is the first thing I see when I log on here this morning. I just bought some dunks last night. If you guys are looking, in the midwest they are at Lowes for $9.99 for a 6 pack. Been dealing with fungus gnats for the last couple weeks and having a bitch of a time with them. I heard about using dunks from a friend who has an indoor tomato and pepper grow. Asked him what I should do to get rid of these gnats in my houseplants. I already put a sand cap on my pots, so I'm soaking some dunks in the water I plan to use for a nice soil drench.

Though I never thought to crumble them on top of the soil though. Guess I know what I'm doing later today at lights on. If you've never used a sand cap, it's kind of a pain to water through. I would have just used the dunks had I known about it. Also getting more soil today. I know these things came in my last bag of biobizz all mix, so now I plan to preemptivly strike the lil bastards.

I sunno what it is with this shop. I was a hardcore Fox farms ocean forest junkie forever. And I always had silverfish in those bags. Now I use bio bizz (and never plan on turning back to FFoF) and I get fungas gnats. Glad I didn't chose the medium that comes complete with spider mites...lol.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:20 PM #8
indifferent
Banned

indifferent is just really niceindifferent is just really niceindifferent is just really niceindifferent is just really niceindifferent is just really niceindifferent is just really niceindifferent is just really niceindifferent is just really niceindifferent is just really niceindifferent is just really niceindifferent is just really nice
I've been trying to get rid of gnats for ages, so i hope these dunks are available in the UK!
indifferent is offline Quote

Old 10-25-2009, 05:27 PM #9
sns_stealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaGal View Post
The gnat eats the Dunk, and then it's little gut explodes... Mwahahahaha.
you think thats evil?

Quote:
How beneficial nematodes work:The life cycle of beneficial nematodes consists of six distinct stages: an egg stage, four juvenile stages and the adult stage. The adult spends its life inside the host insect. The third juvenile stage, called a dauer, enters the bodies of insects (usually the soil dwelling larval form. After a single nematode finds and enters an insect through its skin or natural openings, the nematode release a toxic bacteria that kills its host, usually within a day or two. In less than two weeks the nematodes pass through several generations of adults, which literally fill the insect cadaver. The nematodes actively searches for insect larvae. Once inside the larva the nematodes excretes specific bacteria from its digestive trac before it starts to feed. The bacteria multiply very rapid and convert the host tissue into products that the nematodes take up and use for food. The larva dies within a few days and the color changes from white-beige to orange-red or red-brown. The nematodes multiply and develop within the dead insect. As soon as the nematodes are in the infectious third stage, they leave the old host and start searching for new larvae. Infected grubs turn color from white-beige to red brown 2-4 days after application and becomes slimy. After a few weeks, dead larvae disintegrate completely and are difficult to find.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!...lol

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:31 PM #10
MR_Falcon

MR_Falcon is just really niceMR_Falcon is just really niceMR_Falcon is just really niceMR_Falcon is just really niceMR_Falcon is just really niceMR_Falcon is just really niceMR_Falcon is just really niceMR_Falcon is just really niceMR_Falcon is just really niceMR_Falcon is just really nice
crumbling the discs on the top of the soil is a good idea. i'm gonna give this a whirl. ive been watering w/ the discs every few feed times. now they ll be there everytime i water.

@shabamgoddam on instagram
MR_Falcon is offline Quote