What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yellowing and Leaf Curl

Momerath

Howdy y'all!

I've come across something odd that I have never seen before (that I can remember anyway) and wanted to run it by you guys because I'm fairly stumped.

I have a clone of GG4 from DHN that was growing just fine until I potted her up. She still is growing "ok" for the most part but with a bizarre affliction to her leaves and growth tips. They are lighter colored than normal, by quite a bit, and the edges of the leaves (including older growth) are curled upward and wrinkled.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This one is truly a first for me. I have many, many grows under my belt and it is unusual for me to not be able to accurately diagnose a problem.
Here are some grow specs to give you guys some insight:
GG4 clone from DHN
My custom soil blend (used for many years now without problems) of 4 parts coco, 3 parts organic potting soil, 2 parts organic compost, 1 part EWC
Amendments; Seabird guano, bat guano, fish meal, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, fishbone meal, dolomite, greensand, sulfate of potash (I'm sure I am forgetting some more, basically super soil but at much lower dosage than subcool's recipe, has never caused me issue before, plants always LOVE it)
Water pH swings quite a bit as I use collected rainwater, but has thus far never really affected my plants as my soil mix has quite a bit of buffer to it.

As of now my hypothesis is this. Likely culprits are iron, magnesium, manganese, sulfer and/or zinc deficiencies. I have attempted to correct this with adding a bit more of each, with little success. Which led me to believe it is (finally happened) a pH lockout issue. I have been pH correcting my water for the last 2 days and will continue to see if that yields results. The low pH of my water has never had an impact before, but perhaps it was only a matter of time until I found a strain that it would.

Thank you in advance to everyone taking the time to read and give input if you have any ideas, they are all greatly appreciated :thank you:

TheCatsMeow

you need to bust out a 100X scope and look for bugs in the folds of new growth.

without ever had having them myself, that looks like broadmite damage.

good luck and keep us updated

Momerath

Thanks for the input guys. I am growing in a new-ish environment and learning all about pests I have never seen before. I suppose I will take a closer look now...

It's heat. What is your set up there, how close are these plants to what kind of wattage? The giveaway os the curling of the leaves, and discoloration. Some of the edges that are curls are showing signs of already being burnt. It is not the lighter color os abnormal, it is the patches on the leaves themselves that are a grey discoloration. I would do a search in order to find other pictures which are labeled as burn; to rule that out. If not then you should wash out all the nutrients and let the plants go limp from draining this fluid then start them out using mild strength nutrients (nothing exotic, and not a lot of different chemicals). I used botanical charts for nutrients and never had a problem all the years I grew, and just me, it was a lot of different supplements I used by them in that one stage of flowering (I skipped the vegetive stage always).

CW

You should knothole pests if you are using clones that were born indoors. If you are opening up the outside doors then maybe a wasp has dragged some mites in and in that case after you try the first two things I mentioned, then later use a spray bottle with mild soap and scary the whole plant and keep those doors shut. If you are getting clones from a friend, tell him he is crazy.

HqFarms

Russets or broad mites. Their damage can look similar to each other. I think it's more russets than broad mites though. Only a scope can give you a definite answer. Since you have many grows under your belt, you should know better not to listen to chilly willy.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Ive had mites only once they were annoying but luckily didnt do anything that hardcore i got them way before that point

Yeah I noticed them real quick on some new clones once. Killed quick.

By the time they get like the above pics it's over.

And their saliva stunts growth so plants take ages to recover even if you do kill them all which is hard at best.

I would chop that plant. Unless it's a prize winning mom I would get it as far away from me as possible...

mushroombrew

Veteran
Russets or broad mites. Their damage can look similar to each other. I think it's more russets than broad mites though. Only a scope can give you a definite answer. Since you have many grows under your belt, you should know better not to listen to chilly willy.

I second that motion!

Latest posts

Latest posts