What's new

Feminized Seeds Vs Standard

tequila_sunrise

I read in a few threads that people were suggesting that other's not go with feminized seeds and instead go with regular seeds. Is there a specific reason behind this?

I think the poster said that they had less vigor but I don't know.

I am thinking about getting some quality genetics and want the most bang for my buck!

TexasToker

This has been beaten to death....over and over. There are tons of threads with useful info, and some not so useful.

THC123

Veteran
If you want males , don't go with femenised!:)

For the rest i have had higher herm rates with fems and mutant grow , of course , this could have also been just a coincidence that just those plants where hermie mutants

I only buy fems when the genetics really aren't available standard , for example frisian dew , for the rest i steer away from fems or companies that only offer fems , if they offer both they're cool for me

now let the shitslinging begin:dance013:

B

bonjourbonjour

Feminized seeds has given me 95% females, and 5% Hermies. Though 100% females shouldnt be impossible.

Un feminized seeds are really not worth the money. You will have 50/50 chance of females, but really even 50/50 is being a little wishful thinking.

I once ordered 10 packs of seeds not feminized I germed and sprouted all 100 seeds and 5 weeks later I had all males. Big waste of time effort and money.

Stay away from un feminized seeds

tequila_sunrise

For the rest i have had higher herm rates with fems and mutant grow , of course , this could have also been just a coincidence that just those plants where hermie mutants

I only buy fems when the genetics really aren't available standard , for example frisian dew , for the rest i steer away from fems or companies that only offer fems , if they offer both they're cool for me

Thanks for the heads up!

theHIGHlander

european ganja growers
Veteran
ive grown out most of GHS fem beans with no probs.....but most of the killer strains that are around at the moment come in reg form only,,,,if you dont want the hassell of looking for males then get fems (if you can find a strain you like)....
Yeh i will stick my neck out hear ,,if your getting fem beans go with GHS,,,i dont care what any of you haters say Franco & crew have the best Gear in the world to make fem beans. + if you do have any hassell thay will replace seeds (unless you in the USA).....

its your call fem or reg........i think its more down to the grower needs

keep it green
highlander

Last edited:

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

^^^ this is 100% correct

id just like to point out,,,,,,,,,,:)

cannabis has no hemaphrodites!!,,,,only monoecious specimines!!,,,,cannabis is sub-dioecious.,,,

regular seeds also have intersexed probblems!!,,an it is sometimes harder to weed-out probblems when using males as we cant evaluate them accuratly,,,people dont see the intersexed problems with regular seed as the respective genes are recessive,,,this is called a heterozygote advantage,,,,all the bad recessives are dominated by fitter genes in the current population!!,,,,but when peeps are trying to preserve a pureline, just maintaining heterozygote genes is not easy as inbreeding puts genes in homozygote positions,,,,,through bad selection deleterious recessive acumulate and this causes allsorts of crazy expreshion to rise to the surface,,,,,,,,

evaluation of males is allways a problem

selfing is similar to inbreeding, selfing is the quickest rout make genepairs homozygote ,,,the reason WHY S1 seeds will show a higher rate of intersexed expreshion is because regular seeds will probbly be displaying a "heterozygote advantage" ,,,but as with any inbreeding the recessive traits eventualy rise to the surface and express themselvs,,,,

but if peeps continualy outcross you can hide the intersexed expreshion,,,,,imo,,the regular seeds just hide the intersexed expreshion

phog

Veteran
nirvanas fems are very good. 100% girls. very viable seeds- if you need the space get fems- not sure why all the fem hate

just got some female seeds grapefruit- they are looking great too

ibjamming

Veteran
OK...here's the no bullshit straight scoop...

If you want to grow a different crop every time, trying new strains every grow, you don't care to make your own seeds, and you want "a girl in every pot"...then go with fem seeds. Each seed will be a new taste/smell/high. Each seed will be a girl. There are plenty of varieties to choose from...you'll never get bored. You pay a few hundred $'s every year for the privilege of growing top genetics each grow.

If you want to buy a strain to keep by making seeds, with an initial money outlay, and then free for subsequent grows, get regular. But be aware...what you grow from those seeds may not be similar to what you had to start with. Most varieties are poly hybrids...they're crosses of crosses...there are a lot of different gene expressions available...there will most likely be a lot of variability in following generations.

A lot of people are down on feminized seeds. I don't have a problem with them. Just remember what they're for. To guarantee a female plant.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I once ordered 10 packs of seeds not feminized I germed and sprouted all 100 seeds and 5 weeks later I had all males.

Can just believe in the 100% germination , would you care to ellaborate on the 100 males as this would be a very significant anomaly .

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
wow 0 out of 100 beans i wonder if they can make male only seeds instead of feminized did u have ideal conditions stress can cause males thhats the worst experiance i ever heard of whos beans were they

papie

Can just believe in the 100% germination , would you care to ellaborate on the 100 males as this would be a very significant anomaly .

Oh, only 1 in 1000000000000000000000000000000
(If cannabis sex is indeed chromosomal and not environmental)

B

bonjourbonjour

Well I believe I ordered a few different Nirvana Strains all 10 packs a few different varieties.

Well anyways I use the paper towel method and have 99% germination rates with an odd one not sprouting. Anyways I sprouted and grew out and found out I had balls on all them I had a dozen or so clones that I also had so I had to chop all hundred plants. Anomaly, sure or maybe just got screwed over. But I have ordered hundreds of more seeds after and I usually get fems, the non fems this time I got 5 fems and 5 males from a pack of Mandala Mix

tequila_sunrise

Some very good information here. My main concern is the health of the plants.

I have read a few posts from as far back as 2006 and they were stating that fem seeds produced weaker plants. This is my main concern.

I was also under the impression that fem seeds were better, like a luxury item.

It sounds like the best way to go would be clones as you don't have to worry as much about rogue genetics :D

can anyone confirm that standard seeds grow bigger / stronger than femmed?

D

Dalaihempy

Get reg seeds put a little effort into it and be rewarded for your efforts but also research the breeder and the strain you want that is the key to good genetics and a good harvest reg seeds have evolved that way for a reason i don't see nature chemically changing female plants to males to produce female seed.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
reg seeds have evolved that way for a reason i don't see nature chemically changing female plants to males to produce female seed.
You really should try not to confuse people with things you don't really understand.
Seems you have been schooled repeatedly on this issue, yet you refuse to listen or do proper research, and pop back in with the same silly shit just as before.

Chemically forcing a female to produce male flowers is NOT changing the female into a male. You need to grasp that part first.
All that is happening is basically we use silver ions to block ethylene to the receptors. This inhibits female flower growth and triggers the intersex gene, which can show male flowers and spit out viable pollen, but it is still a female plant. No if ands or buts about that.
No voodoo, just a natural mechanism that the plant possesses that we are manipulating. We are not causing the plant to do anything that it can't do by itself with the right set of circumstances.

D

Dalaihempy

You really should try not to confuse people with things you don't really understand.
Seems you have been schooled repeatedly on this issue, yet you refuse to listen or do proper research, and pop back in with the same silly shit just as before.

Chemically forcing a female to produce male flowers is NOT changing the female into a male. You need to grasp that part first.
All that is happening is basically we use silver ions to block ethylene to the receptors. This inhibits female flower growth and triggers the intersex gene, which can show male flowers and spit out viable pollen, but it is still a female plant. No if ands or buts about that.
No voodoo, just a natural mechanism that the plant possesses that we are manipulating. We are not causing the plant to do anything that it can't do by itself with the right set of circumstances.

You need to stop trolling me you nut job schooling please and as for research were is it that shows your fem seeds are superior than naturally made regular seeds there is nil Nada i posted more than inuf research in that post you caused to be closed and edited over and over now piss off and go find something constructive to do.

The fact fem seeds do grow out expressing hermies and males which you fem supporters blame on the genetics is piss poor which shows how little testing these hakks do before they sell these seeds reality is you need a true female and sam has sed he has only one so your argument is piss poor.

The early method of fem seed making now has been shown by real research that i posted to in fact lower the THC in the plant line that was treated and used to make fem seeds what will this method show in real research in years to come i wounder.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol...spot on, Yamuka!

I am doing something constructive, Hempy. I am helping to dispel myths and ignorance.
What is it that you do constructive?

Latest posts

Latest posts