Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > Cannabis grafting

Thread Title Search
Cannabis grafting Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2016, 07:06 PM #21
BobbyIronsights

BobbyIronsights will become famous soon enoughBobbyIronsights will become famous soon enough
Jeebus, if I wasn't the op, i would have subbed to this thread by now.

IC mag rocks, I hope I never get banned.
BobbyIronsights is offline Quote

Old 01-22-2016, 07:54 PM #22
Betterhaff

Betterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScienceKids View Post
Actually..no one has attempted it...and no one knows exactly why some does not graft. This is what is called emerging science.

It takes trial and errors to know for a fact it does not work. Proper science is not saying something can not work unless the trial and errors has been performed.

Like I stated before...there has been cases of plants from different families actually grafting and staying alive for 5 months...5 months is enough time for a cannabis plant to be harvested.

and not to be rude..but where exactly is your grafting trial and errors..or anything else science related? Just saying.

Herbaceous plants of different families have most defiently been grafted and lived for awhile..tomato and cannabis are both herbaceous. So you can not say for a fact it would not work. Feel free to post photos or anything that has showed any attempts to graft cannabis to a tomato.

Cellular recognigtion, wounding response, growth regulators, and incompatable toxins are what determines if 2 plants will graft.

------------------------

Successful grafts have been made with the following plants of different families:
Tomato and Cabbage, Tomato and Chrysanthemum, Tomato and Cineraria, Tomato and Coleus, Tomato and Zinnia.

Other examples include:
Kidney bean and Cocklebur, Kidney bean and Castor-oil bean, Sunflowe rand Melon, Jerusalem artichoke and Black nightshade, Coleus acaranthus, Aster and Phlox, Maple and Lilac.

The Tomato and cabbage and the artichoke and nightshade gave good unions on account of their "herbaceous" nature and rapid growth, while astor and phlox, somewhat advanced in growth, and a year old maple and lilac united with difficulty except on very young shoots. The success of these experiments concludes that the "old" idea that only plants belonging to the same family can be grafted on each other does "NOT" apply to "grafting by approach".
Does this mean an approach graft?

An approach graft is something that happens even in the wild and requires close proximity of the plants. The reason it works well in many cases is because both plants being used are still being supported by their own root stock. What happens when the scion is separated from its own root stock is what matters. I’d be curious to hear the long term survival rate of plants used from different families.

As I said before chances are slim when you go outside families…I didn’t say it was impossible. I guess the important question is is it a viable option on a practical or commercial scale?
Betterhaff is offline Quote

Old 01-22-2016, 08:39 PM #23
Betterhaff

Betterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond repute
My approach would be to find the cultivars that produce the strongest root stock and go from there. Commercially, root stocks are used for hardiness, disease resistance, and/or dwarfing.

Speaking of autos, I remember reading some threads about using approach graphs with autos and standards but leaving everything intact (both scions and rootstocks). Something about the hormones going both ways in regards to flowering. Florigen I believe. The theory was to graft an auto or fast flowering to a long flowering tropical.
Betterhaff is offline Quote

Old 01-23-2016, 02:38 AM #24
CosmicCharlie

CosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of light
How do you know that Big Bud etc. grow bigger root systems than other strains?

I'm thinking they produce bigger buds because of their genetics. For instance you can grow any plant to have a big root mass and it will produce more.

The question is will grafting cannabis to other plants or different strains produce more in a faster amount of time?

With cannabis it is easier to just pop more seeds or make more clones.

With other plants like certain cacti it is advantageous to graft because the scion is slow growing and grows a lot faster on a different root-stock.

Really the only advantage I can see with grafting cannabis is having multiple strains on one root-stock in cases of plant count restriction.
CosmicCharlie is offline Quote

Old 01-23-2016, 04:08 AM #25
Budley Doright

Budley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud of
Quote:
There is ALOT of advantages to grafting that can not be gotten in other means...alot of these advantages have already been covered.

Planting a bunch of seeds will not give you the advantages of grafting such as size boost, controlling height, mold and disease resistance, among the many other advantages.

"you can grow any plant to have a big root mass and it will produce more." Sure if you keep increasing the container size...100 gallon container will of course grow a more massive plant..however big bud or money maker in a 100 gallon container will produce a even bigger plant. However bigger container does not effect genetics. The root mass however is genetic. Bigger the root mass then the bigger the plant...nearly everything starts in the root mass. Big bud and money maker naturally creates big plants...so is logical to use them as rootstock to get size boost.

Adding chemicals to get a bigger plant becomes a less healthy product...however with grafting you do not need the extra chemicals however voodoo juice helps in grafting for size. This give us another major advantage...size boost without chemicals.
Your comments are wildly overstated.....

The only reason we might like to do grafting here is for plant count....

Thats pretty much the beginning and end of it......

Wick Cloning = Cheap and effective

MMMP Patient/Caregiver

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=309503

Big Clones.....and Air Layers also a legal Michigan grow
Budley Doright is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:19 AM #26
CosmicCharlie

CosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of light
^yeah

Never answered either of my questions either.

I've read the whole thread and have experience grafting cacti.

I haven't seen any proof of what this person is claiming (pics) and they seem to be just extrapolating from other plants and assuming it will be the same with cannabis (larger buds of say GSC on Big Bud root-stock? Pics?)...
CosmicCharlie is offline Quote

Old 01-23-2016, 11:37 AM #27
ozza

ozza is a glorious beacon of lightozza is a glorious beacon of lightozza is a glorious beacon of lightozza is a glorious beacon of lightozza is a glorious beacon of lightozza is a glorious beacon of lightozza is a glorious beacon of lightozza is a glorious beacon of lightozza is a glorious beacon of lightozza is a glorious beacon of lightozza is a glorious beacon of light
I'm a horticulturalist. Have been for 10 years. Qualified anyway. I have grafted many plants. Give me links to these plants that have been grafted to other families?

Old 01-23-2016, 11:38 AM #28
ozza

ozza is a glorious beacon of lightozza is a glorious beacon of lightozza is a glorious beacon of lightozza is a glorious beacon of lightozza is a glorious beacon of lightozza is a glorious beacon of lightozza is a glorious beacon of lightozza is a glorious beacon of lightozza is a glorious beacon of lightozza is a glorious beacon of lightozza is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:

Just so you know..cactus grafting is far different than regular plant grafting.
How is it different?

Old 01-23-2016, 05:27 PM #29
EvilCartman

EvilCartman has much to be proud ofEvilCartman has much to be proud ofEvilCartman has much to be proud ofEvilCartman has much to be proud ofEvilCartman has much to be proud ofEvilCartman has much to be proud ofEvilCartman has much to be proud ofEvilCartman has much to be proud ofEvilCartman has much to be proud ofEvilCartman has much to be proud ofEvilCartman has much to be proud of
Quote:
If that is what you think then clearly you do not understand grafting.

Grafting is NOT to increase numbers..if you want to increase numbers then you are confusing grafting with cloning...just saying
Clearly, you do not understand plant count.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:47 PM #30
Budley Doright

Budley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud of
I think you are over your head....

My comment about plant count was to conserve plant count by grafting multiple stains on one plant....

Ir you really want to advance the science...do something....

Wick Cloning = Cheap and effective

MMMP Patient/Caregiver

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=309503

Big Clones.....and Air Layers also a legal Michigan grow
Budley Doright is offline Quote