What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New environment... leaf canoeing problems... Heat stress or cold stress??

raven44

Well I have a new environment set up. The new spot has old drafty windows. And is lacking insulation, old house to say the least...

I'm accustomed to growing in a well insulated home/triplex with neighbors contributing a lot of heat. I had a basement set up in that triplex and never had cold problems that I was aware of. Maybe slowed growth a tiny bit during winter but basement temps stayed around 68 and humidity stayed around 30-40%

Now, here I am in this old house. I brought few plants with me during the move. But I did have a few seedlings. As soon as they got to this new drafty old house they started having caneoing badly. I also noticed purpling in the leaves of 1/2 seedlings. The seedlings had a few sets of true leaves at the time 3" tall or so...

I also got 6 clones all.different strains. They all caneoing in this environment as well

Since seeing purpling,I've warmed up the night time temps. Night time was getting down to 65 or so I'm guessing.

When I set up my t5s, for the first time I put three t5s all side by side... I'm thinking this caused a lot of built up heat and my small fan was keeping day time temps under the light around 81 measured via sensor unit not infrared thermometer... not sure what leaf surface temps were/are.

I've been playing around with a lot of different set ups... got a seedling heat mat thinking it was my root zone getting too cold... since adding that the problem hasn't gotten better for me. Which is making me think perhaps it's mainly heat stress combined with cold nights... or is it the cold drafts...?

Very confused here, the purpling in the one seedling has gone away since adding a heater at night... caneoing has been getting worse still on most plants... however the plast which was purpling seems to be doing better and isn't caneoing much...

I'm thinking my small fan blowing over the length of the t5 was a bad idea running 24/7.. that and high day time temps creating my problem maybe but what about the cold and purpling? Maybe that was from me transplanting into cold soil... hmmmm... the one plant that purples was the only plant that got put into new soil recently and the soil was kept on a cold floor..

Man super confused newbie here haha all input appreciated very much so

Basically my question is does this look like cold stress or heat stress??

The first picture is the plant that purpled in the leaves but is now green again

Second pic is one of the seedlings that came with me and started caneoing in this new environment

3rd pic is a blue dream.. she has gotten lighter in color and a very faint spotty look to her yet no other changes and no heat or cold stress signs

4th pic is udub purps. She's having the hardest time with curling looks like lack of humidity to me as well??

5th pic is a green alien caneoing semi badly

6th pic is a Stephen hawking #2 hanging in there canoeing a bit

7th pic is a white ogchem caneoing badly

8th pic is another seedling caneoing yes it got watered lol

9th pic, I did have a small clip fan blowing the length of the t5 and on the tops of the plants 24/7 I removed that fan before taking pics thinking it was a bad idea

All the named strains are clones that started their lives in this environment and health went downhill right away..

The plants are in a tent due to me thinking cold stress was my problem

Now I'm thinking drafty cold nights and day time temps rising too high may be the problem accompanied by a fan running too much in a 30-35% humidity environment...

So I'm thinking ditch the tent, hang one t5 light.. no other t5s hanging closer than a foother or two away. Before the tent I had 3 t5s in about a 4'×5' open space... Heat was building up under all the t5s.. my ladies were under one of the outside lamps and the cacti were under the other two...

So no tent, a fan on oscillate rather than blowing over them 24/7 and lower day time temps to 75-78

Another note, I did notice my seedlingson bend away from the light like it was too intense or too hot. Being a t5 I'm guessing too hot or causing them to transpire too rapidly so that's why they bent away maybe...

Thought and input appreciatedata, thank you for reading

Last edited:

shaggyballs

Veteran
I did notice my seedlingson bend away from the light like it was too intense or too hot.
That would cause the leaf curl (canoeing).

I doubt this is the case here but it can be a genetic trait or another cause could be high auxin content in the food.

Broad mites could be the cause also, so start there first.
Scope your dope.

raven44

I've scoped themy many times already

I've been keeping thrips in check, and since this problem arising the thrips have gotten a bit of an upper hand. Not by much tho

I have ruled out broad mites before posting this I believe. I've used a 30x and 60x magnification I have extremely good eyes and I'm very meticulous checked many many times now all different plants. Would a 90x be needed for broad mites?

Another thing making me feel it isn't mites besides the fact there aren't any tiny bugs crawling around is that I have a blue dream healthy as could be for the most part. I would assume broad mites would hit each plant?? I'll check again and keep checking as I have been for broad mites.

This place was obviously used by some tweaker ish growers in the past so bugs has been a large concern for me from day one haha...

I'm personally leaning towards face palming this thread we will see soon haha. I thought my lights were about 12" away... measured tho and realized my guess of about 12" above plants was way off. So needless to say I raised my lights and watched the Temps go from 81 to 74.5 haha... Super rookie status

So honestly I'm personally leaning towards heat stress accompanied by night time drops larger than 10°F before i added a heater. Along with a fan being blown on them 24/7 rather than being on oscillate... all combined to be my problem. Lights were too close keeping day times at 81 degrees fan was blowing too. Then night hit and temps dropped to around 70° or lower. So added heater at night, then day times were 81 and nights 75 or so. After adding the heater my plant that was purple turned green again and also the leaf canoeing seems to stop.progressing for the most part. Still had slow growth going on tho. Which the slow growth may have been from the light being too close. I'm gonna give them a few days of day times at 75° and nights at 72° and see how they start acting

Ive removed the heat mat entirely, put a fan on oscillate rather than blowing over the tops 24/7 also moved the fan back some. Got a heater kicking on during the night period keeping the Temps around 72 at night and its around 77 during the day.

Honestly tho at first sight I thought broad mites as well lol. I've been checking for the buggers for a week or so now tho pretty sure they aren't here right now at least lol

Last edited:

raven44

Thank you for reading and caring everyone

The soil is mills soil. Trying to find out which type I got them in it already. I don't use mills. I use a peat soiless mix and cutting edge.. like I was taught...

I haven't fed the ladies yet it's been 10 days or so

They are starting to look a touch hungry. Waiting to find out if this is the mills soil cork mills coco cork or mills light soil mix tho... so I know how much food is in the soil...

However I guess I don't need to know, I can tell by the physical expression of the plant... I have noticed the petioles turning purplish in color on the tops of the petioles not the bottoms tho and the purple is going from bottom of plant to the top. Only the bottom.two leaves are affected on most some are more affected than others. Blue dream being the least affected...

I thought about giving a baby foliar of mag amp but I'm too unsure personally... Maybe just on one of em but since I'm having this curling im.holding off until curling is in check to do any foliar feeds

Last edited:

raven44

Pics of the petioles turning purple from the bottom up, for fun... this is a different topic hopefully u guys don't mind

Bottom leaf has it the worst. Second leaf up had it about half as bad and the third leaf up itsome petiole is green still.

These are all in mills soil as stated previously as soon as I know which type of mills soil I will state that info here.

Blue dream is the second to last pic. Last pic is udub purps. First pic is white ogchem. Second pic green alien. Third pic sour lemon og... I don't train at all except for cutting off the bottoms so I get all top comas. Like I was taught...

Last edited:

raven44

Ok here is a pic of what I believe is thrip eggs. I'm basically always keeping them in check...

Only the plants that got stunted the worst and caneoing the worst have these eggs. The healthy plants don't have these eggs.

I cannot spot any crawlers w my 60x for the life of me. Been watching for a week only eggs. Seen a few thrips for sure tho not a lot

Last edited:

raven44

Well, plants are growing they aren't getting worse they are unfurling most of em.

I've switched my lights to 24/7 to deal with the temp swings. I'm still not thinking I have mites so far

Miraculous Meds

Vpd is important to consider. When running 80f, it's best if u can get 70%rh. Make sure u have good air circulation so that all leaves r moving slightly. When u were running 80f and 30%rh, ur environment is sucking all the water out of ur leaves causing the nute salts to concentrate. Over fert. Signs n taco'ing leaves r common when this is a prob. That is certainly contributing to the issue. Other things that could be causing this problem r ph, too dry, bugs... That's what comes to mind. Check all these, n get ur temps n rh in better check.

Thrips can pretty easily completely eradicated. Spray Spinosad, get thorough coverage. Clean up n get rid of old plant material. Be careful not to bring them in. And spray a second time in less than a week to get any stragglers, and thrips will be history.

Bm's should be identifiable with 60x to 90x. Check undersides of newer effected leaves near crevices

raven44

Rock on thank you

I keep thinking of adding a humidifier.. I haven't yet mainly because before when I grew I had no problems with a humidity of 30-40%.

However I'm sure the low humidity is the problem. I don't like to use chemical or biocide sprays whatever they r called lol.. I only use ozoniated water for bugs.. I would like to not have thrips anymore tho.....

Thanks for the reply

raven44

Can anyone tell me why I cannot make a journal post??

Nvm, got it figured out lol....

Last edited:

raven44

I've been spraying them with water and all but one have came back to health.

What type of humidifier do u guys like to use for a very small veg room? Any ideas appreciated

What type of humifiers do u NOT like to use and why?

Thanks again