What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Connoisseurs' Obsession with Potency?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Grat3fulh3ad,
I agree that the less time in the water the better as far as terpenoid content.
The only problem with resin collected from wet plants is that the resin has not gone through a cure, like you can do with dry plants. I prefer resin collected from dry plants because they are already cured for several months before making the hash. I find that uncured plants/resin can be harsh on my throat, but does have more taste, both good and bad.
As for smoking less to get higher when you do...

Chamba,
Yes that is one approach, but I am not sure that not smoking is the best way to get high. If you want the intense rush that you get when you have not smoked for a week, and it is worth not smoking for a week to achieve it, go for it.
I prefer smoking anytime I feel like it. I do not put limits on myself, and yes everytime I smoke a bowl I do get higher. As long as the resin is great.
I smoke very potent dry sift.
I try and find Cannabis that has little or no ceiling effect.
I am high all the time, but I do admit the peaks are less then if I smoked only once a week. But I like Cannabis and to be honest it is not worth the peaks to wait and smoke only once a week.
But I understand why some choose to follow this path they want maximum effect from their limited Cannabis use.

Dignan,
"A connoisseur, to my mind, would be someone with a very broad exposure to a very large number of cannabis varieties, and yet who has chosen to limit their consumption to more moderate levels so that they can fully experience each variety."

Interesting how you exclude heavy users from being connoisseur, I guess in your book I am not a connoisseur, but to me it has nothing to do with the amounts used it has to do with the love and understanding of the herb and resin, be it one gram a week or 50 grams a day.

-SamS

Last edited:

green_grow

Veteran
there are those of us who like a mild to moderate effect from the ganja. in fact, that is why i started growing, to find the effect i want, which is a mild, uplifting, all-music_sounds great kinda high, rather than an ass-kicking couch-lock. i can find the couch just fine without ganja, thank you very much !

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
If you smoke resin from Original Haze it is not couch-lock at all, if you want it mild just take one small draw. Potency and type of effect are not the same.

-SamS

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Sam_Skunkman said:
If you smoke resin from Original Haze it is not couch-lock at all, if you want it mild just take one small draw. Potency and type of effect are not the same.

-SamS

That's a good point, Sam and I agree but it does pose a problem when a person enjoys the smoking experience and doesn't want to be limited to one small toke. I can see why some would actually seek out a cannabis of weaker potency for that reason. It's not something I do, but it might make sense for some individuals.

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
There is also a big difference in getting high and being high. The focus on getting high as adverse to being high seems to important to some smokers, maybe it even used to be important to me, but not now, I prefer being high to abstinence so that I can get higher when I do smoke.
To each their own as long as they don't try and say my way is wrong...

Smoking was never important to me, it is just a tool to achieve my goal.
That said I do have strong preferences as how I like to smoke, I had ROOR build me a custom resin bong just so I could smoke how I thought was best.

-SamS

Last edited:

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
I don't think there is a wrong way, but if there is.... Your way ain't wrong, Sam. No way, no how.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Connoisseurs of wine (or bourbon, etc.) aren't concerned all that much with the potency. You don't see wine connoisseurs sitting around slamming glasses of wine to get drunk... they're far more concerned about the nuances of the experience, i.e. the way the wine feels on the tongue, the way it smells, the flavors, the colors it imparts when light is shone through the glass, etc.

We cannabis connoisseurs also have a fine appreciation for the nuances of cannabis- flavors, bouquet, the way the smoke feels in your mouth, expansion, colors- and yet it seems people are far more concerned about smoking weed that blows the top of their skulls off.

if you're more concerned about simply getting blown up as much as possible, then you're not real connoisseur !

Irie !

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
mriko,
Have you ever gotten blown up as possible?
Does this mean you are not a connoisseur?
Or maybe it was not your goal and it was an accident?
I think you are a Cannabis Connoisseur, I also think you might like to get as high as you can occasionally, they are not exclusive, both can be.

To me a connoisseur only has to have a deep love of Cannabis products, with a quest of understanding the herb. You do not even have to be a smoker, what about sadu's in India that don't even smoke but eat Cannabis every day? If you love Cannabis, love its effects, love its smells, love its tastes, and have a bit of understanding and insights into the herb, you are on the road to being a Cannabis Connoisseur....
I guess I like being inclusive rather then exclusive?

-SamS

C

Chamba

(see 1)Connoisseurs of wine (or bourbon, etc.) aren't concerned all that much with the potency . (2)You don't see wine connoisseurs sitting around slamming glasses of wine to get drunk... (3)they're far more concerned about the nuances of the experience, i.e. the way the wine feels on the tongue, the way it smells, the flavors, the colors it imparts when light is shone through the glass, etc.

(1)alcohol content is not a major consideration, but it is one of the main aspects of wine that experts comment on when tasting and drinking....often wine tasters say a strong wine has "legs"..this term comes from tilting the glass away from you and back again so the glass is upright , the wine runs back down the inside of the glass, the stronger the wine, the more prominant the runs or "legs" are. from tasting and tilting a wine expert would be able to fairly accurately tell if the wine is 11.5%, 12% or 13.5%

(2)..sometime you do!..otherwise why do most of them have broken blood vessels on their cheeks or noses!

(3)so true...and also how it makes you feel....the right amount of an excellent French wine will lift your spirits, your mood, inspire good converstion, aid disgestion and enhance food etc etc ...the word wine is derived from the Latin word vin which = life

Last edited:
C

Chamba

Sam wrote "Yes that is one approach, but I am not sure that not smoking is the best way to get high."

lol.....

my own intake varies from mostly more than anyone I know in my circle of smoko mates to just a little and back again...personally, after 35 years of ganja smoking, I find constant heavy use to be not the way to go for a number of reasons...if you are stoned all the time, then you are missing out ..if you are never stoned, then you are also missing out....it's up to the individual to find a happy balance between being high and living life

and far be it from me to tell you or anyone what to do with their lives.....and I don't know how often you puff throughout each day...it's a personal thing and of course there are exceptions due to circumstances...

but if anyone can't catch a buzz off good quality bud then their tolerance would be regarded by most as being too high.....no one suggested you stop puffing your "world's best resin", everyone knows that if you take a day or two off puffing every now and then you'll definitely reach higher highs (at least in the short term)

and you are right, being a Cannasseur has nothing to do with how much a person smokes, it's a state of mind.

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I guess you could ask if you had a smoke that was the very strongest you ever smoked with exactly the type of high you enjoy but with no taste at all would you want it?
Or maybe the strongest but not the type of high you prefer, would you still want it?
Or maybe the best tasting in the world, but with lousy high and strength, want it?
Luckly I do not have to decide, but I guess I would take the first, but to me taste and smell are very important, just not worth very much without the potency and type of high you are looking for.

-SamS

Evolution

Sam_Skunkman said:
... you might like to get as high as you can occasionally, they are not exclusive, both can be.

To me a connoisseur only has to have a deep love of Cannabis products, with a quest of understanding the herb. You do not even have to be a smoker, what about sadu's in India that don't even smoke but eat Cannabis every day? If you love Cannabis, love its effects, love its smells, love its tastes, and have a bit of understanding and insights into the herb, you are on the road to being a Cannabis Connoisseur....
I guess I like being inclusive rather then exclusive?

-SamS

woooooo---hoooooooo!!!!!!!!

this really makes my day Sam!

What a great statement!!!

All your statement today are most benevolent---what a great contribution, my friend!!

lol--'had ROOR build me a custom resin bong just so I could smoke how I thought was best.'

awesome--got any pics?

peace,
evo

rasta

Greens

^^^Indeed, that's a great way to put it Sam! I am one of those heavy tokers too who tokes the most potent herb, hash, kif, or BHO as possible. I love to eat hash as well. Trust me, I don't know a single person (on a personal level, not here) who knows the nuances of cannabis better than I do (not trying to brag. lol). I am even at the point where I can often anticipate the type of high produced by a bud just by smelling and looking at it (I bet Sam knows what I mean). If it's sour lemony, it will be uplifting. If it's skunky, stupifying. Sweet fruit, relaxing. Spicy sandlewood, trippy. Hashy sweet seasoning (like meat seasoning), heavy.

But yeah, about potency. If it isn't strong, I don't even want to bother with it because it's a waste of my time and lungs. lol.

Greens

Greens

Also, all wines have a high enough alcholol percentage to get pretty much anyone drunk (or buzzed if that's all they are looking for). If you drink a couple bottles of wine, you are drunk. Some people might need 3 or 4 if they have a big tolerance or are very large. Even one bottle and I'm super buzzed/borderline drunk. However, for chronic herb smokers, not every kind of weed or hash will get them high. I mean, 5% THC cannabis or that gold seal afghani hash won't cut it for me anymore. I could puff that stuff all day and never really get high. Many heavy tokers are like that too, so that's why potency becomes so important. Still, the quality of the high is even more important to me.

Greens

THC•20

Dignan said:
Connoisseurs of wine (or bourbon, etc.) aren't concerned all that much with the potency. You don't see wine connoisseurs sitting around slamming glasses of wine to get drunk... they're far more concerned about the nuances of the experience, i.e. the way the wine feels on the tongue, the way it smells, the flavors, the colors it imparts when light is shone through the glass, etc.

We cannabis connoisseurs also have a fine appreciation for the nuances of cannabis- flavors, bouquet, the way the smoke feels in your mouth, expansion, colors- and yet it seems people are far more concerned about smoking weed that blows the top of their skulls off.

Why is that? Why do cannabis users put such a high priority on getting ****ed up?

Dig

I dunno, some people just love to be high in the sky. I'm sure taste, smell, the look etc etc. is all important but I'm more interested in the potency. It's the whole point for the smoking anyways honestly that's why. And Greens I agree totally.

Last edited:
C

Chamba

(chamba goes off even further on an off-topic tangent....chink ..another bottle hits the floor)

Even one bottle and I'm super buzzed/borderline drunk

it all depends on the speed you drink at, drink that next bottle of wine a little slower and you won't be s-faced....a bottle of vino is best consumed over several hours...wine is also best consumed along with food...take a sip of wine and then a mouthful or two of food and you will never get drunk, that's how the French or Italians drink..many of them drink like a fish...a bottle each for lunch and then a bottle and a half over dinner and never get slurry or blurred (although it is often only a light 11.5% wine, not a 13.5 cab sav..that one or two % really matters)..just close to almost tipsy which is a nice buzz.

le vin est la vie!

C

Chamba

Sams....if that resin of yours is as good as everyone says I'd crawl a mile over broken glass just to catch a smell of it's secondhand smoke!...I'd crawl two miles to find out how you made it! and three miles for a clone of it! lol

does that make me a cannasuer?

G

good thread myself i like to have diffrent types of smoke that heady high to get out and have some fun or clean the the house. and that indica to sink my butt in the couch and zone out for a couple of hours when my back is hurting so i guess what im saying is we are like conniseurs.
People like white wine with fish or chicken and a nice red with steak or something simillar so i guess the two are real simillar wine enthusiates and people like myself l8 im off to bed..peace

guineapig

Veteran
I've said for a long time.....it's all about taste for me!!!

I love mixing flavors too in a "salad bowl", you really get some amazing mixtures of different tastes and flavours.....

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

Latest posts

Latest posts