What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone else find Cannabutter revoulting?

lsl

eh? you all are complaining about the taste but ive never had it tasting bad to the point where i want to gag lol.. when you guys solify the butter for the final time, do you guys strain the green plant material out of it? thats what i do, i just use a cheese cloth or a strainer of some sort (panty hoes work fine) to filter just all butter and thc.. then i solify it in the fridge..... to all the people whos made brownies, all i really ever get around here is some mids/good mids.. how much would i need for a batch of POTENT brownies? would a half oz work, or would i need an oz? also how much butter or coconut oil to bud?

Last edited:

Capn

When I made butter the first 3 times i did it the ol' "steep the green matter in the butter" method. It tasted like crap (like boiled 7 year old broccoli and with a hint of used jim sock), but it got me faded.

Second technique I tried was the "Add water to the butter and green matter and separate fat solids from cold mixture" method. Well that attempt was slightly better tasting, not enough of the taste gone tho. Bad thing about this technique is it messes with your recipes due to water being leeched out of the original butter.

Third technique is by far the best I've encountered. Just take your butter, melt it, and introduce high quality light colored clear ISO oil. Once the ISO oil is dissolved into the butter your left with a liquid infused with the floral scents of the cannabis resin itself and none of the harsh green chlorophyll, or any other non-psychoactive and potentially disgusting contaminants that steeping will leech from your plant.

Hope you try it out and experience what I'm talking about yo!!

lsl

oo how do you get ISO oil? im not sure what that is lol.. so you just melt some butter in a crock pot and then put the ISO oil in it? then the grinded weed? or is the weed suppose to be already cooked in the butter? lol

Capn

When I say ISO oil, I'm referring to Isopropyl hash oil, prepared from the frozen ground weed you would normally put in your butter.

So make the hash oil, then disolve it into the butter at a really low temp, say 160ish F .

G

Greyskull

I hate eating cannabis. the way my body processes it, and the way I feel... no thanks!
I am already pretty mellow. But if the shit needs to hit the fan and I need to run thru a wall I can do it even after taking a huge BT.... not 1-6 hours after I ate a fucking browning or cookie or whatever "leaded" goodie my big dumb ass was dumb enough to eat.
I guess what I am saying I like the control part of smoking that is just not there when dealing with edibles... even if you know the dosage when real life happens and I'm on "the chillax chanell" I'm not going to be performing my best.

Capn

Greyskull: "even if you know the dosage when real life happens and I'm on "the chillax chanell" I'm not going to be performing my best"

Well, that may be true for some, but not all. Eating cannabis extracts are healthier than smoking, and for some that means a lot.

Peace

G

Greyskull

Hey Capn I was not discarding the medicnail benefits of cannabis in an edible format. I was just stating my opinon on the effects of medication in my case. You're preaching to the choir homey. Been on many "cannabis missions".

I've baked too many water extraction butter based edibles for patients with lung & throat problems. My house has reeked for hours on end multiple times.

WATER EXTRACTION IS IMO THE BEST WAY TO PREPARE CANNABIS FOR USE IN EDIBLES. It takes longer, sure.

But edibles/butter created with ground up material, no matter how well ground down, have a grainy texture that when combined with the flavor of the actual plant material... its like the schwag of edibles.

Capn

Greyskull: "But edibles/butter created with ground up material, no matter how well ground down, have a grainy texture that when combined with the flavor of the actual plant material... its like the schwag of edibles."

I agree with that 100%. Also the crystaline hairs (not the trichs) that the plants are coated with can give people horrible stomach pains.

Greyskull: "WATER EXTRACTION IS IMO THE BEST WAY TO PREPARE CANNABIS FOR USE IN EDIBLES"

Soaking the material in butter/water also gives the water in the mixture ample time to leech out all that horrible taste from the green mater in the process of extracting the Psychoactive stuffs. It's unavoidable in that method. It may be the best in your opinion, but the fact remains it is far from the "best".

Last edited:

Lifebreather

Veteran
When I first started making cannabutter, the taste didn't bother me at all. After a few years of constantly making it and being surrounded by the smell-it got to me. I can't hardly eat the stuff unless it's cooked with cocoa to the cover the flavor. However, I can take a few spoonfuls of the melted butter right after I get done running it through the french press without so much as a few wretches.

Mostly I keep it around for my patients sake.

Z

Ziggaro

HAHA if you guys think the butter is nasty don't try canna-milk!!
I don't mind the weed taste in butter at all.. but when you make milk and use it in your coffee or tea, its just disgusting. I actually ended up throwing it out :/
I found that 2 oz of good trim/pound of butter was sufficient for me, and overpowering for my girl. Neither of us like the taste but its not that bad
Now instead of doing cookin I make icewater hash homemade style. This is the much better way for me :)

I don't know if anyone has done this.

But have you guys thought about water-curing your bud before cooking with it?

I don't really cook with my weed. Sometimes i'll put some in my spicy ramen. I don't mind the flavor tho. But this seems like it should be standard procedure.

If i get some low-grade weed sometimes I'll water-cure it in a cup or something for a few days and it takes the flavor and harshness right out.

I figure water-curing would be perfect for getting rid of most of the weed flavor out before you make the butter.

Edit: oh I guess this was already mentioned. sorry.

Last edited:

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i made cannabutter. not like you guys do it. i took a couple of male/hermie plants chopped em up in a blender, then i put em in a pot on the stove on low heat with about 1/2lb butter. then i simmer at a low med setting where the butter is slightly bubbling but not enough to cook and burn. just really hot. anyway i let it simmer like this for about an hour or 2 then i strained and made brownies with about 1/3 of a cup of butter melted replacing the oil in the directions on the brownie box. my friends all said they were really high but i was mildly high. ive never really gotten high from eating weed products. cept one time i was breaking down an oz of weed and i would just chew the stems instead of throwing em away.

also no one complained about tasting anything and ive tasted the harsh canna taste from making firecrackers in the past. these brownies were awesome. tasted like nothing but great brownies. i think the problem is you guys are boiling the leaves and stem in water i dunno why really. thc isnt water soluble. all you would be doing by boiling it in water is releasing all the chlorophyll. which i guess accounts for the taste you all speak of.

the butter will automatically absorb the thc you shouldnt need water. i mean you dont add water when you make tincture do you? just soak weed in solvent alcohol in this case and strain.

Last edited:

Capn

stihgnobevoli: then i put em in a pot on the stove on low heat with about 1/2lb butter. then i simmer at a low med setting where the butter is slightly bubbling but not enough to cook and burn. just really hot.

Well even though it seems to work out for you, there is a flaw in the method. Butter is about 80% fat, 12% water and 8% milk solids. Cooking butter by itself will remove most of that water and when the water leaves then the butter is free to burn, and so is your THC.

stihgnobevoli: ive never really gotten high from eating weed products. cept one time i was breaking down an oz of weed and i would just chew the stems instead of throwing em away.

Well, sorry to break it to you friend. Eating RAW weed or chewing on raw weed stems wont get you high my friend. According to science, it isn't possible.

stihgnobevoli: i think the problem is you guys are boiling the leaves and stem in water i dunno why really. thc isnt water soluble. all you would be doing by boiling it in water is releasing all the chlorophyll. which i guess accounts for the taste you all speak of.

The thinking behind this theory is the belief that the majority of the chlorophyll and other nasties will go into the water instead of the butter that you collect off the top when the process if finished. A sort of diluting if you will. However, I have tried it and still managed to get pretty shitty tasting butter.

Also, the water helps keep the butter in the proper temperature zone and as a burn preventative. Since water at sea level will only reach 212F unless under pressure.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
im not gonna argue with you on any of your statements. to each his own. but you cant tell me i didnt get high from chewing stems because i did. and it is possible to get high from eating "raw" weed. i dont know what you mean by raw but dried weed can be eaten and stems contain thc. miniscule amounts but its there. shit sometimes my stem is stickier than the leaves. i didnt cook the butter or burn the thc. as i tried to explain i just simmered it on low heat. much like you guys explain that you simmer the weed in a crock pot with the butter. it doesnt cook the butter at all its just really hot. hot enough to get the thc from the weed to the butter without cooking it. anyway you guys can do it however you want. im just saying the wa i did it, and my butter didnt taste all nasty like the first time i did it with the water+butter. it tasted like butter with a slight green taste to it like plant matter i guess. but it wasnt bitter or nasty.

Capn

I will not argue with you either. I merely state facts. The placebo effect is a marvelous phenomenon.

I use the word raw, because THC in its raw form is a acid. In order for it to be psychoactive in humans it needs to be converted to its terpene form. Generally done by heat.

I really appreciate your contributing.

I don't like "traditional" cannabutter much either, so I'm trying a new experiment now: I mixed about 6 grams of finely ground commercial midgrade with a stick of softened butter in a mason jar. I plan on letting this just sit raw at room temperature for a week hopefully to let the psychoactives bond, or at least mix better. Then I'll heat it, still in the mason jar, in water at 150F for a few hours. I'm thinking of going for a lower temp to prevent THC from being destroyed or from the bad flavors to leech out too much. Kind of ironic about that though, since I'm letting it sit mixed together for a week beforehand.